English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 December 2011, 09:58   #1
CritAnime

Now my CF card wont boot.. I could cry [fixed]

Seriously I am getting a little fed up now.

I bought a new CF HDD from Amigakit. Thought woot it works. Decided to put PFS on it and now it wont work in my amiga. tried putting FFS back on it and still nothing. The cf adapter flashes slightly when turned on but then the amiga drops straight into the purple insert disk screen. Doing a ctrl+a+a and holdng the mouse buttons I can see that it doesn't show up in the boot list.

Like I said it worked fine up to putting PFS on it because I figured it wold be a more sound choice. Turns out I am giving myself more headaches in the process.

What have I done wrong in the process. What have I to do to make it work again. If I have to buy a new drive then so be it but I just want to play some whdload games and use my amiga

Last edited by CritAnime; 04 December 2011 at 16:45.
Old 03 December 2011, 10:10   #2
thomas

Quote:
What have I done wrong in the process.
Please tell us what you did, then we can tell you which part of it was wrong.

My tea leaves tell me that you used HDInsttool and didn't notice that it removed all existing partitions.
Old 03 December 2011, 10:18   #3
CritAnime

I connected the cf drive to my computer using a card reader.
I then added the drive to WinUAE as HDD with IDE0
I booted Amiga911.
I went to HDinsttool
I then made the file system PFS setting it as PFS\3
I went to the paritition editor and set two partitions, 1 named DH0 and the other DH1. Making sure to give the partitions the 0x1fe00 max transfer and PFS\3 file system.
I then clicked save changes to drive.
Allowed it to reboot then formatted the two paritions naming one system and the other stuff.
I then transfered the ClassicWB package and rebooted in winuae to test and make sure it worked.
Once I discovered it worked I then went to put it into my Amiga nd nothing happened. Just went to a purple screen.

its a kingston 4gig cf drive. When i got it from AmigaKit it had FFS pre-inatalled and had 3 partitions.
Old 03 December 2011, 10:20   #4
roy bates

did you hit enter,after setting maxtransfer?
Old 03 December 2011, 10:21   #5
CritAnime

yup also i quick formatted the partitions.
Old 03 December 2011, 12:21   #6
Allen1

Just wondering if you made the first partition bootable in HDinsttool?
Old 03 December 2011, 12:29   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
yup also i quick formatted the partitions.
Boot partition size?
Old 03 December 2011, 13:23   #8
Leffmann

Did you enable RDB mode? Here's what I do for CWB Adv SP under WinUAE:

Add your CWB and set the controller to UAE and its boot priority to 10. Create a new file of OFS/FFS/RDB type, select IDE0 controller and enable RDB mode.

Boot up and start HDToolBox, drive should be listed there as "SCSI 0 0 Unknown". Change Drive Type, select SCSI and then Define New and Read Configuration, make sure drive size is correct and OK out to main menu.

Partition Drive and add partitions. Check Advanced Options and click Add/Update, Add New File System and enter full path and name of your PFS3, enter 0x50465303 as DosType, 18 for Version and 5 for Revision.

For all partitions, again check Advanced Options to choose your device name, number of buffers and boot priority, then Change File System and select PFS3 and change MaxTransfer to 0x1FE00.

Exit to main menu and Save Changes to Drive and exit HDToolBox. Partitions should now pop up on the Workbench immediately and you can do "format device hd0 name cwb quick" etc. on them. If PFS3 has been added successfully then a PFS3 window should open for each partition you format.
Old 03 December 2011, 13:49   #9
thomas

You cannot enable RDB mode for real harddrives. A real HDD is always in RDB mode.
Old 03 December 2011, 15:02   #10
orange

you should have a 'rescue floppy' with hdinsttools or similar on it. then see if partitions are readable from it.

(just) perhaps you don't have enough RAM for buffers or PFS is for wrong CPU?
Old 03 December 2011, 15:26   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Try wiping the rdb/mbr from the card and starting over. Windows diskpart can be used for this.
Old 03 December 2011, 16:45   #12
jimbob

Hi, any chance this problem only appeared since you got your accelerator going? ie. Did FFS definitely work since you installed the ACA.

I only ask because I had one particular CF card which worked with the ACA disabled but gurud with the ACA enabled. Check this out using the disable jumper on the ACA. It still showed up in early start up though so probably not your problem. Luckily for me this was just a spare 256Mb card I was mucking about with for testing.
Old 03 December 2011, 18:10   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
There was nothing wrong with the CF, its working fine.
As already pointed out, he is missing something, which is causing the issue.

Maybe boot partition isnt set as "bootable"?
He can always return just the CF to us, and I would happly set it back up for him.
Old 03 December 2011, 18:18   #14
CritAnime

Right I have had some sleep and here is what I have discovered since.

When I put my drive in the system I get nothing on the boot option. So just out of dumb curiosity I booted workbench up and then put the OS Install tool that came with the drive into the amiga. I then found a copy of hdinsttool sat on the disc. I copied this to ram and ran it. What I found was both interesting and confusing. The drive pops straight up and is recognised. However no file system details are listed and no portitions are list.

So I then transfered the cf back into the card reader for my pc and the device comes up a name of uae, something or other, on winuae but 4gb cf card on my real amiga. All the file system types are there too along with the partitions. When I partition the card in my real amiga, I can't set pfs or sfs as the types on the disc, they show up after boot. So obviously I am missing something on the emulator.

Edit--
Fol you are a real gent I am gonna try and sort it, its about time I learnt, but worst comes to worst I will send it back and will happily reimburse you for your lost time
Old 03 December 2011, 18:43   #15
thomas

If you'd like one last try before you send it back, please download this: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...oads/tsgui.lha

Unpack it to your CF card in WinUAE then run it, select one partition of the CF card and choose "Save RDB to file" from the menu. Save it to some place on your Windows harddrive, then attach it here. I'll see what is wrong.
Old 03 December 2011, 19:37   #16
CritAnime

here ya go

--edit

Ok so I I tried again. Wrote the RDB file using winuae, tried sticking it back in my amiga and it still shows the partition I made when I used my real amiga. So the two partitions I made in winuae wont be read but the one I made on my real amiga can be read... eh?
Attached Files
File Type: lha rdb.lha (50.2 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by CritAnime; 03 December 2011 at 19:51.
Old 03 December 2011, 20:25   #17
thomas

This RDB does not show anything unusual. It has SFS in it and two partitions, DH0 and DH2, both with SFS identifier. No sign of PFS, though.

Could you please make another RDB file from when the card is in your Amiga.

From your description (different partitions depending on whether the CF card is in the Amiga or connected to the PC) it can only be that the CF reader on the PC hides some sectors in the beginning of the card from WinUAE.
Old 03 December 2011, 20:35   #18
CritAnime

That's going to be difficult as I don't have a way of putting it onto a disk. I don't have an adf transfer kit.
Old 03 December 2011, 20:49   #19
thomas

Ok then please put the CF into your Amiga, boot from the Install3.1 disk, run HDTools/HDToolbox, select the CF, click on Change Drive Type, click on Define New and click on Read Configuration, then write down all the values it lists and quote them here.

BTW, the file is 50 KB, it should fit easily on a 720 KB floppy disk, shouldn't it?
Old 03 December 2011, 21:15   #20
CritAnime

Doh! I only have the workbench disks that came with my amiga, 3 disk workbench 2 that comes with the none hd 600, the 3.1 images I have came through amiga forever. And I have no way of transfering anything to floppy at all. That was the next thing on my list after buying the accelerator but due to paying the last bits of my wedding off I didn't have the money left to be able to do it.

Think I might have to send it back to amigakit.