English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 May 2002, 21:17   #1
th4t1guy

Problems Installing os3.9

I'm trying to install OS3.9 onto a cd32 +sx1 with 4meg fast and 800meg harddrive. I made an emergency install disk, and successfully formatted my harddrive using SFS. When I try to install OS3.9, I boot up from the emergency disk and run the install program from the cd. Everything seems to run fine, and eventually it tells me to reboot. However, when I reboot, I find that there is no startup-sequence. I've copied the startup-sequence from the Workbench3.5 directory, and after Workbench loads, I notice that libraries, icons, ect are missing from the harddrive. I can't set any prefs, and have only basic WB functions available. Also, I keep getting packet errors when trying to copy from the cd. The cd drive works with WB3.1. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 15 May 2002, 22:17   #2
backtoskooldaze

Hooooo I have a similar problem too?????

Hi m8 i have read your post about trouble with installing os 3.9!
I have fitted the 3.1 roms ok and have made an emergency disk from the os3.9 cd.I have then clicked on install os3.9 over 3.0/3.1 or empty harddrive which in my case i am trying to install over wb 3.0.I am then instructed to reboot with the emergency disk which i have done BUT it boots so far then it comes up with CACHE CDFS CANNOT OPEN"cd.device"unit 0.Then i am asked to please insert volume amiga os3.9 in any drive.Then when i cancel the os3.9 it then goes onto say c/mount/unknown then goes through a few things like sys and stuff then ends with a box cache cdfs cannot open "cd.device"unit 0 ABORT.

I have even tried installing with out the emergency disk and then it starts to load off the cd rom ok with the percentage going up to 100% then when its done there is a ding noise then it says to remove all disks and reboot which i have done but then it does not boot off the harddrive it goes str8 to the purple screen with the disk and 3.1 roms.

If you can tell me whether you have found a solution or found help can you help me out please???????
Old 16 May 2002, 06:38   #3
th4t1guy

It seems that part of my problem was it would not copy anything over from Workbench3.5 directory over, even though I selected the option "New install on empty HD". I formatted the disk, copied OS3.5 dirs and files over, then did an upgrade install. So far, things seem to work ok, except I'm still getting packet errors for the cd, and a lot of files are missing icons and have "no default tools". I installed cachecdfs, but so far it hasn't done anything. It also seems like snapshot doesn't work anymore to keep icons in there correct placement (did they screw this feature up as well?).

It's too bad Amiga Inc. spent more time getting their installer to have cheesy pictures and sounds than they did to check if it actually worked.
Old 16 May 2002, 10:55   #4
blackcornflake

Indeed. The install script is full of boo-boos. Most were fixed in a later revision CD (SE).

Have you guys seen the OS3.9 FAQ site? Very useful.