English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 March 2012, 00:06   #221
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I found another bug - sometimes hero lands in non-still anim frame, or just finishes his anim cycle in other frame than "still" (45, 46).
Thanks, I'll have a look for this.

Quote:
My actual hiscore 5054.
About 1300 better than me

Quote:
There should be something like: "Yes, you will fall faster for 10 secs, BUT (you will get extra 500pts or so...)
Maybe not 500 points but I take the idea onboard. Thanks, I'll think of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
Also, power-ups seem to only take effect when you hit a platform. Is this intended?
It does? What ones? I just played it now and got the weight power-up, worked fine. Can't say I've noticed this but I could just have missed it.
Old 20 March 2012, 00:39   #222
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
...It does? What ones? I just played it now and got the weight power-up, worked fine. Can't say I've noticed this but I could just have missed it.
think i noticed it with the wings, will check again.
Old 20 March 2012, 08:41   #223
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
6 is only possible if you leap at the last second and guess the right direction... it will be dropped. What did you think of level 5?
It can be memorized so I think it can be passed. It is also evil, though.
Old 20 March 2012, 11:35   #224
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
It can be memorized so I think it can be passed. It is also evil, though.
That was my initial intention. Graham said he deosnt want levels based solely on memory, and the way the levels are sequenced makes that sort of level almost impossible to anticipate and therefore complete.

If people who have played can rate the levels 3,4,5,6 out of 10 for difficulty it will help to build more balanced levels. Any comments welcome.
Old 20 March 2012, 12:34   #225
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I like levels 3 and 4 most, they are challenging. Currently i like platform design of levels 3, though
Old 20 March 2012, 14:42   #226
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Keep the updates coming. This thread has become essential reading for me.

One suggestion - when the music being composed, could it only use a maximum of three sound channels? This will then leave one channel free for sound effects.

Many classic Amiga games had their ingame music spoiled by having half the tune temporarily vanish when a sound effect played.
Old 20 March 2012, 19:21   #227
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Keep the updates coming. This thread has become essential reading for me.

One suggestion - when the music being composed, could it only use a maximum of three sound channels? This will then leave one channel free for sound effects.

Many classic Amiga games had their ingame music spoiled by having half the tune temporarily vanish when a sound effect played.
I believe it depends on the nr of different effects at the same time and speed of playback. I mean if there are continous sounds of shooting in a game (in general, not strictly in a case like this) and you want to play others as well, even using 3 channels is more than critical. I believe this is why for example in the top-down Alien Breeds there are no music, just an ambient generator kind of noise, so the 3 other channels can be used for shooting, roars, and warning sounds...

Also, in this game it cannot be a real barrier for a better atmosphere. We'll see, I think
Old 20 March 2012, 19:34   #228
s2325
Zone Friend

There was no problem using NoisePlayer even with 4 channels module, I can hear all sounds. But I think if someone use chip module where tracks are really busy some sounds may be skipped.
Old 20 March 2012, 19:36   #229
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Yes, depends on the music routine. Bad example: Lotus Esprit turbo challenge (1) - when you smash na obstacle, one channel is stopped for few seconds and it is really annoying. Good example: Turricans
Old 20 March 2012, 19:46   #230
Graham Humphrey

I did have a think about how many channels to use for the music and I decided to go for four anyway because (a) there aren't many sound effects and (b) what there is are quite short and sharp anyway. In addition, you'll be able to switch off sound effects and/or music at any point during the game if you like. I did take into account the problem Robert mentioned but I think to only use three channels in these circumstances would be a waste.
Old 20 March 2012, 19:48   #231
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

indeed. you can try it and use one of the millions existing modules as a placeholder in meantime I think.
Old 20 March 2012, 23:54   #232
Graham Humphrey

A couple of miscellaneous requests now.

I'd quite like some nice icons for the game. Let's face it, the default Blitz icon is a bit dull. If I could have a 'normal' icon, a MagicWB icon and a NewIcon, I could include them in the archive and the player could choose which one they wanted. So if someone could take a bit of time to draw some that'd be great

Also... I'd like some sort of nice development team name too, so we can have a nice logo displayed at the start I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a good name though so any suggestions? Obviously any future games would use this name too so it has to be a decent one

In terms of the game, tonight I've started developing the highscore table and routines. It's mostly working so far, there's one little quirk I need to iron out and I need to implement a load/save system but it's gone pretty smoothly.
Old 21 March 2012, 01:55   #233
mihcael
Zone Friend

About the time i was working with Hungry Horace making Syman i came up with this logo design (edit - removed?) which i titled BoingTick, so thats my development team name suggestion.

Last edited by mihcael; 21 March 2012 at 04:31.
Old 21 March 2012, 03:53   #234
Anakirob
Unregistered User

You do realise that both of those pieces of imagery are registered trademarks?
Old 21 March 2012, 04:03   #235
mihcael
Zone Friend

What are you saying? They are only shown in that picture to show the process i used to create the boingtick?

Last edited by mihcael; 21 March 2012 at 04:10. Reason: more info
Old 21 March 2012, 09:38   #236
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I agree with any name, but my suggestion is it shouldnt be anything 'mighty', 'ancient' or 'glorious' as these will always be little cute games (I think), not any serious dungeons or adventures. So the name should rather be funny as well as the logo.
Old 21 March 2012, 22:48   #237
Graham Humphrey

I don't know if I really want a 'funny' name. Not that it should be deadly serious of course. But I have one or two game ideas in my head that go somewhat beyond 'cute little games'

In other news: Highscore table now fully working, complete with loading and saving

Another box ticked...
Old 21 March 2012, 22:59   #238
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I don't know if I really want a 'funny' name. Not that it should be deadly serious of course.
Well, based on what's happening so far, I would have to say "The WIP Team" has a certain ring to it!
Old 21 March 2012, 23:07   #239
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Before I settled on Digital Dalmatian, the other contender was Binary Nation.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 21 March 2012, 23:44   #240
Graham Humphrey

Binary Nation, eh? Or, perhaps, Binary Nations. Yes, that's not too bad I think. Thanks for that, I'll consider that one.

I was going to opt for Divide By Zero (in tribute to a couple of weeks back, when I spent a decent amount of time on a Saturday night coding the title screen routine, forgot to save it for the only time ever, and accidentally did a divide by zero sum somewhere and the whole thing fell over) but that was already taken years ago

Prowler: Touché!