English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 January 2010, 23:16   #1
Amiga Forever

Question Amiga Monitor?

I have amiga 1200 now and I dont think it will connect my 32" Full HD TV which mean I need to get Amiga Monitor(monitor is better than TV as they are sharper in my view)

What Amiga Monitor should I go for?

Last edited by Amiga Forever; 09 January 2010 at 23:31.
Old 10 January 2010, 01:25   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@Amiga forever

Where abouts in the UK are you?

I've got a Philips in good working order that you could have

Dave G
Old 10 January 2010, 01:27   #3
ancalimon
Supernormal

I think monitors that are fully compatible with Amiga are extremely hard to find and or very expensive. You should go for a scan doubler, or in worst case a CRT TV and a scart cable will give you near perfect result.
Old 10 January 2010, 01:52   #4
Cammy

Are you sure the Amiga doesn't work in the HD TV? If it can pick up a signal through the Composite video port (the yellow AV jack) then you should be able to use an S-Video adapter with it to get a sharper image from your Amiga. You could also get an Indivision and use the VGA port if it has one.

If that doesn't work and you still want a separate monitor for the Amiga, maybe you could test it out with some other LCD TVs. I used to use 1084 monitors with my Amigas, well I still have a few set up, but my main Amigas now use LCD TVs instead of 1084s because they're much better for my eyes, the display is larger, and they don't flicker! I can run Workbench in 680x536 with a crisp, rock solid display, whereas on the 1084 it would flicker badly. Either use Scart or S-Video, you can get S-Video adapters for the Amiga cheap as chips from AmigaManiac.com

CRTs are still fine I guess, but they're no good for our eyes and they use a lot more power.
Old 10 January 2010, 02:38   #5
gtrmn01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Either use Scart or S-Video, you can get S-Video adapters for the Amiga cheap as chips from AmigaManiac.com

CRTs are still fine I guess, but they're no good for our eyes and they use a lot more power.
Hi Cammy... Have you tried the Pal/NTSC converter from AMigamagic.com? I'm interested to know if the resolution and clarity would be better than my old 1080.
gtrmn01
Old 10 January 2010, 03:10   #6
Amiga Forever

Big grin

Quote:
Where abouts in the UK are you?
I am from Rotherham.

Sorry guys....I have made a mistake by putting the wire from HD TV in to RF Modulator and no wonder it didnt work!!!

So I put wire from HD TV to comp and now it is work.....just be playing first time of Hot rubber on cute Amiga 600 and what crap game....going to format that and put
Blitzbasic 2 on it
Old 10 January 2010, 04:37   #7
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmn01 View Post
Hi Cammy... Have you tried the Pal/NTSC converter from AMigamagic.com? I'm interested to know if the resolution and clarity would be better than my old 1080.
gtrmn01
Hi! I have made a short couple of video demonstrations of my A1200 and my A600 using these PAL/NTSC S-Video converters from AmigaManiac. Depending on the screen you use, it can be much better than the 1084. TVs can't usually have their screen size and position adjusted like a monitor can, so there's no way you'll get Maximum Overscan to show within the borders of the screen, but the picture is definitely much sharper than composite and nearly on-par with RGB. The main advantage is being able to use much larger screens than the 13-14" 1084, and still get a nice sharp picture. I have been using large CRT TVs with S-Video for my CD32/SX32 for many years and prefer it to a small monitor. I now use LCD TVs with most of my Amigas and although there is interpolation in the pixels, giving it a slightly softened look compared to CRT, the advantage is the screen has no flicker in interlaced modes, so I can run in PAL High Res Interlace and it looks the same as if it was coming from an Indivision.

Anyway, here's the A1200 running in Super High Res Interlace on an LCD TV - http://www.youtube.com/user/AmigaCam.../1/Kaz6fNpHYIg and there's another video there showing the A600 plugged into a large CRT with S-Video too.
Old 10 January 2010, 04:38   #8
Cammy

Amiga Forever, I'm glad you solved your problem, I had a feeling the HDTV should work