English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 July 2019, 10:54   #1
piXelMECH

Problems with CD32 emulation in WinUAE

I've got problems with CD32 emulation with some games that runned perfectly on my old system (except Diggers & Oscar - there's is the rectangle missing to select game since 2 years).

The games I've tested are Diggers & Oscar, Disposable Hero, Microcosm and Diggers NTSC and the only one running perfectly is Microcosm but I only got problems with CD32 emulation. A500/1200/4000 running fine.

My new System I've build is a Ryzen 2700X, ASUS Prime X-470 Pro mainboard, SAMSUNG Evo 970 Pro NVME SSD, 16 GB (2x 8) G.Skill X-Flare RAM for AMD CL16... Still using my AMD Asus Strix RX 480 8 GB OC GPU, my be quiet! 680 W Straight Power 680W PSU and my Seagte Barracude 4 TB and 2 TB HDD's… OS is Win 10 x64 1809, all running with latest drivers (except GPU, there I'm using the may drivers) and updates.

WinUAE is running as x64, version is 4.1.0 (2018.12.05).

While the games are runned perfectly with this Version of WinUAE @ my Phenom II x6 and the same Version of Win 10, I'm expecting now the following problems:

Diggers NTSC: when I load the *.cue, there's only music, but no GFX. Of Course when I loed the *.iso, there's GFX, but no music.
Disposable Hero PAL (*.cue): hangs on the CD32 boot screen (the Spinning "CD"-logo stops to spin and hangs and it doesn't continue to load)

But Microcosm PAL (*.cue) runs perfectly.

My emu settings for CD32 are as follows:

CPU: 68020, Approximate A500/A1200 or cycle exact, checked 24bit addressing, CPU Frequency 4x (A1200)

Chipset: AGA, Cycle-exact (Full) & Cycle-exact (DMA/Memory access) checked, Chipset extra: Custom, Keyboard connected & Wait for Blitter checked

Advanced Chipset: None Battery Backed Up Real Time Clock checked, Power Supply 50 Hz checked, Chipset Features: CIA Rom Overlay, DF0: ID Hardware, CD32 CD, CD32 C2P, CD32 NVRAM, Rom Mirror (AB) checked

ROM: Main ROM file: Amiga Kickstart 3.1 (40.060) (CD32)....rom, Extended ROM file: CD32 Extended-ROM r40.60....rom (I've Always used these CD32 ROM-filesand they're working perfectly, so they can't be the problem. With "no CD inserted" the CD32-emu boots perfectly and I can access all CD32-functions: CD32 savegames, audio CD player.)

RAM: 2 MB Chip

CD & Hard drives: I've Always select and selected my CD32 Images via the "Select Image file"-button there.

Display: Generic PnP Monitor (1920*1080) * selected, Fullscreen 800x600@32bpp, 50Hz PAL, Triple buffering, Standard VSync, Blacker than black, Filtered low Resolution, VGA mode resolution autoswitsch checked, Resolution: Hires (normal), Resolution autoswitch: Disabled, Refresh set to PAL in dropdown, FPS adj.: fixed to 50.000000 and checked, Centering Horizontal and Vertical checked, Line mode Double checked, Interlaced line mode Double, fields checked

Sound: WASAPI: Default Audio Device selected, Enabled & Automatic switching checked, Volume Master 100%, Paula in dropdown slected, also set to 100%, Sound Buffer Size 8, Settings: 5.1 Channels, Stereo seperation 70%, Interpolation: Anti, Frequencey: 48000, Audio filter: Emulated (A1200), Floppy Drive Sound Emulation: everything at 0%/No sound, Drivers: Direct Sound & WASAPI checked

For the rest of the settings I've only configured one of my XBOX One pads as input, as always. No Output and no Filters and nothing else are set.

It would be nice if someone could help me. Thanks in advance

Last edited by piXelMECH; 21 July 2019 at 11:04.
Old 21 July 2019, 11:08   #2
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by piXelMECH View Post

WinUAE is running as x64, version is 4.1.0 (2018.12.05).
You should try with 32-bit version. You could try also other older WinUAE versions.
i use 3.1.0 32bit and i play perfectly with more 400 CD32 games and apps (commercial and homebrew)
Old 21 July 2019, 11:49   #3
piXelMECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
You should try with 32-bit version. You could try also other older WinUAE versions.
i use 3.1.0 32bit and i play perfectly with more 400 CD32 games and apps (commercial and homebrew)
Ah ok - I will give it a try, thank you!
Old 21 July 2019, 11:55   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

How unproductive reply (not OPs reply). Please stop doing that.

OP: Does it work in windowed mode? Common problem is use of Direct3D 9 mode using in "new" PC without required D3D9 redistributable installed which caused fallback to DirectDraw which is too obsolete and has all kinds of issues with newer Windows versions.

Try D3D11 mode (Misc panel) and in windowed mode first.

Another possibility is your config: Test with Quickstart CD32 config. For example your chipset extra should be "CD32" (not "Custom") unless you know exactly what are you doing. Load your normal config, then go to quickstart panel, select CD32 and click "Set config". Does it work now?
Old 21 July 2019, 12:13   #5
piXelMECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
How unproductive reply (not OPs reply). Please stop doing that.

OP: Does it work in windowed mode? Common problem is use of Direct3D 9 mode using in "new" PC without required D3D9 redistributable installed which caused fallback to DirectDraw which is too obsolete and has all kinds of issues with newer Windows versions.

Try D3D11 mode (Misc panel) and in windowed mode first.

Another possibility is your config: Test with Quickstart CD32 config. For example your chipset extra should be "CD32" (not "Custom") unless you know exactly what are you doing. Load your normal config, then go to quickstart panel, select CD32 and click "Set config". Does it work now?
Thanks for trying to help, Toni. At Misc there was D3D11 set already. With PAL Settings in windowed mode I got the same problems: The rectangle to select a game at Diggers & Oscar is still missing and Disposable Hero still hangs. But in windowed mode I see a "HALT3"-message but the Music at Diggers & Oscar game selection screen continues to play. I will now try the Quickstart CD32 config.

Still waiting for my new Blu Ray burner where I could try my original CD32 Discs...

Edit: Diggers & Oscar are working now in Quickstart and also Disposable Hero does, but DH has no music.

Last edited by piXelMECH; 21 July 2019 at 12:26.
Old 21 July 2019, 12:37   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
The rectangle to select a game at Diggers & Oscar is still missing
I'll check this soon.

Quote:
Edit: Diggers & Oscar are working now in Quickstart and also Disposable Hero does, but DH has no music.
Enable winuaelog.txt (or use -log command line parameter to see real time log window. use windowed mode!) to check that TOC is detected correctly and if there is CD audio play attempt and possible error.

Do you use exact same game version? Some CD32 games had different variants.
Old 21 July 2019, 13:22   #7
piXelMECH

Quote:
I'll check this soon.

Enable winuaelog.txt (or use -log command line parameter to see real time log window. use windowed mode!) to check that TOC is detected correctly and if there is CD audio play attempt and possible error.

Do you use exact same game version? Some CD32 games had different variants.
Yes, I'm using the same game Version I've bought original when there was a AMIGA Dealer at my city when Disposable came out original on the CD32. I'm using a image I've made form the original game.

The same with Diggers & Oscar (made the image from the original disc that was in the package with the CD32).

But I've found the problem with DH: I've tested the intro only before and there was no music. But when I load the menu and start the game, both, the game and the music, runs too fast like it would run in 60 Hz/NTSC mode. But it's the PAL version of the game and also I'm using the PAL/50 Hz settings @ Display. I had the same Problem with Diggers & Oscar before and that was the reason why I used manual Adv. Chipset Settings and set CIA-A TOD Clock Source Power Supply 50Hz to avoid games to run @ 60 Hz beacuse it seems it doesn't matter what is set in the Display tab and if NTSC checked or unchecked in the Chipset tab.

I've enabled winuaelog.txt and tested it in windowed mode. Where can I find the logfile? Checked already my users/documents folder and the program folder of WinUAE.
Old 21 July 2019, 13:29   #8
Mclane
Old retro god.

For reference, the latest Winuae 4.2.1 plays DH fine with music using merely the quickload settings and the TOSEC iso Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(Track 01 of 16)[!] like this.

And its the 64bit version of Winuae...

Logfile is always in with the WinUAE executable
Old 21 July 2019, 13:38   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

CD32 CIAs are inside Akiko and Akiko does not have vblank (or power supply tick) input pin. It has config register bit that sets ntsc or pal timing and it is possible this is not fully correct yet.

Advanced chipset CIAA-TOD option should not affect CD32 mode.

winuaebootlog.txt is always in same directory as winuae.exe but main log might not be. Check winuaebootlog.txt last line.
Old 21 July 2019, 13:40   #10
piXelMECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
For reference, the latest Winuae 4.2.1 plays DH fine with music using merely the quickload settings and the TOSEC iso Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(Track 01 of 16)[!] like this.

And its the 64bit version of Winuae...

Logfile is always in with the WinUAE executable
Thanks. My version of Disposable Hero worked with Music alreday and does now, but too fast... And with the logfile: there must be a *.txt-file somewhere?

Thanks, Toni. Will post it.

How to upload the file here?

Last edited by piXelMECH; 21 July 2019 at 14:06.
Old 21 July 2019, 14:45   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

use the zone to share files.
Old 21 July 2019, 15:03   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
How to upload the file here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
use the zone to share files.
...or just attach the small log files to your post:
  • "Edit" your post.
  • Click "Go Advanced".
  • Click "Manage Attachments".
  • etc...
Old 21 July 2019, 15:50   #13
piXelMECH

Ok, thanks.

Here we go…

Edit: didn't have to edit my post *g*

Edit II: I forgot to mention a very important thing! I said that A500 Emulation runs perfectly - BUT: I had the same problem with the emulation of the A500. Turrican II/III PAL runned @ 60 Hz Speed with Standard A500 Settings everywhere and Cycle exact/match A500 Speed. ONLY with the Adv. Chipset tab and set Power Supply to 50 Hz there the Emulation Speed of the A500 runs at normal PAL Speed @ 50 Hz.

Maybe this isn't a emulation problem? Maybe it's a problem with my new PC?
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (19.6 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by piXelMECH; 21 July 2019 at 16:04.
Old 21 July 2019, 16:00   #14
DamienD
Banned

There's never anything in the "winuaebootlog.txt" file about the game you are running or what's occurring...

Do this:
  • Start WinUAE.
  • Load your configuration file or Quickstart and then add the CD32 game / image in.
  • Select "Paths" and then tick "Enable full logging".
  • Click "Start" and play the game for about 10 seconds after the issue occurs.
  • Exit and then attach the "winuaelog.txt" file.
Old 21 July 2019, 16:08   #15
piXelMECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
There's never anything in the "winuaebootlog.txt" file about the game you are running or what's occurring...

Do this:
  • Start WinUAE.
  • Load your configuration file or Quickstart and then add the CD32 game / image in.
  • Select "Paths" and then tick "Enable full logging".
  • Click "Start" and play the game for about 10 seconds after the issue occurs.
  • Exit and then attach the "winuaelog.txt" file.
Ok. Here (now I have the log, not the bootlog)… And in windowed mode I saw that the framerate is fixed to 60 fps, not to 50 as it should for a PAL game. The same problem I've had with A500 emulation.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (27.8 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by piXelMECH; 21 July 2019 at 16:32.
Old 21 July 2019, 20:10   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Ok. Here (now I have the log, not the bootlog)… And in windowed mode I saw that the framerate is fixed to 60 fps, not to 50 as it should for a PAL game. The same problem I've had with A500 emulation.
You have vsync enabled which forces Amiga to use same refresh rate. (It still is PAL Amiga, running program can't notice any timing differences)

EDIT: "Refresh rate 50 not supported, using 0", 50Hz was configured but your driver/monitor does not support it (at least for selected resolution), falling back to default. Which almost always is 60Hz.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 21 July 2019 at 20:17.
Old 23 July 2019, 13:33   #17
piXelMECH

Quote:
You have vsync enabled which forces Amiga to use same refresh rate. (It still is PAL Amiga, running program can't notice any timing differences)

EDIT: "Refresh rate 50 not supported, using 0", 50Hz was configured but your driver/monitor does not support it (at least for selected resolution), falling back to default. Which almost always is 60Hz.
I always used WinUAE with the same display since a few years (Panasonic TV) and it always worked with 50 Hz PAL. So it can't be the TV - It looks like a AMD GPU driver issue?
Old 23 July 2019, 13:38   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuaebootlog.txt (I forgot that you attached it in previous post) lists 50Hz support in almost all modes.

But your log is from windowed mode (I originally thought it was from fullscreen) which uses desktop refresh rate which can't be transparently "overridden" except with FreeSync/GSync.

Disable vsync when in windowed mode.
Old 23 July 2019, 13:45   #19
piXelMECH

Quote:
winuaebootlog.txt (I forgot that you attached it in previous post) lists 50Hz support in almost all modes.

But your log is from windowed mode (I originally thought it was from fullscreen) which uses desktop refresh rate which can't be transparently "overridden" except with FreeSync/GSync.

Disable vsync when in windowed mode.
Ok, I'll try this when I will find the time - thx... Got to finish some renderings first.
Old 24 July 2019, 10:23   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
The rectangle to select a game at Diggers & Oscar is still missing.
They only appear for few seconds when selecting either game. Real CD32 confirmed with "Diggers & Oscar (1993)(Commodore)[!][compilation][AMIGA-CD-V2]"