English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 22 August 2011, 12:00   #1
jt5566
jt

hello & Amiga 600 help needed what to do?

Hi im new to this forum so excuse me while i try and figure out where best to post queries.
I dug out my A600HD the other day and thought i would see if it still worked. Hasnt been used for well over ten years. None of the old info/system software is on the machine anymore. Whilst it turns on ok and prompts me to insert the install floppy disk and choose my keyboard map (8 UK) it then offers me a hard drive prep/format and install list of icons. So i thought i might try to reinstall the hard drive save workbench on it and see if i can use the computer once more as i loved playing games and designing things on deluxe paint.
However i am getting a message error 3,cant partition drive, something about rdb, i think? Is my hard drive broken or am i missing something? If the hard drive isnt workning is there a cheap fix? I was then and still am a simple user regarding computing so i need simple answers, sorry. The manual didnt help me much... Im just curious to see if i can use the machine, if it works then i may well keep it or I may sell it on should anyone wish to buy it? The box is in ok condition and the case is still fairly white.
Any help appreciated thanks jt
Old 22 August 2011, 12:24   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt5566 View Post
Hi im new to this forum so excuse me while i try and figure out where best to post queries.
I dug out my A600HD the other day and thought i would see if it still worked. Hasnt been used for well over ten years. None of the old info/system software is on the machine anymore. Whilst it turns on ok and prompts me to insert the install floppy disk and choose my keyboard map (8 UK) it then offers me a hard drive prep/format and install list of icons. So i thought i might try to reinstall the hard drive save workbench on it and see if i can use the computer once more as i loved playing games and designing things on deluxe paint.
However i am getting a message error 3,cant partition drive, something about rdb, i think? Is my hard drive broken or am i missing something? If the hard drive isnt workning is there a cheap fix? I was then and still am a simple user regarding computing so i need simple answers, sorry. The manual didnt help me much... Im just curious to see if i can use the machine, if it works then i may well keep it or I may sell it on should anyone wish to buy it? The box is in ok condition and the case is still fairly white.
Any help appreciated thanks jt
RDB is proberly screwed, create a new RDB, then try and partition.
Old 22 August 2011, 19:16   #3
jt5566
jt

Hi and thanks. sorry for beginners question but how would i go about creating an RDB and what is it? thanks
Old 22 August 2011, 23:20   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Hi and thanks. sorry for beginners question but how would i go about creating an RDB and what is it? thanks
Depends on which install disk your using.
Old 23 August 2011, 20:34   #5
jt5566
jt

The 2.5" disk reads: A600HD Version 2.05
Ive got the Extras,Fonts & Workbench 2.05 also.
Have all 3 Manuals inc the hard disk set up manual. The machine has 2Mb of Ram & the Amiga serial reads: 184996 , DBP-Vtg 1046/84 made in Hong Kong, bought in June 1992, if that makes any difference?
If you have time to respond please remember im NO computer whiz so i need simple answers, if there are any...
Thanks
Old 23 August 2011, 21:14   #6
Photon

As FOL is helping you and he does support for Amigakit I think he'll help you best, just jumping in to say hello and welcome We'll get you sorted in no time I think!

Just wanted to say that the RDB is a tiny part of the harddisk holding the partitioning info. Partitioning is (you might know this of course but anyway) how the harddisk is divided. Usually there's one bootable partition which is your SYS: unit and DH0: unit - your operating system workdisk where you put ALL your stuff. Sometimes there's an extra partition for big files or backup or whatever, but it's not necessary. Writing to the RDB blocks is the 'prep' you mentioned.

It not only contains the 'divisions' but also each division's nickname (label, such as jt5566systemDisk: or anything), the file system used (usually FFS), and other "settings". You set those with the HDToolbox utility which you should find on your WB Install disk, if you do that and still no luck even with a System/Format, the harddisk went.

Oh, and if you open the underside trapdoor, pull out your extra 1MB chipmem and if it has a battery, check for battery corroded circuit board(tm)! After long storage this could be a danger.

I apologize if I'm explaining something to someone who knows all this already

Certainly if you prepped the harddisk and it can't even format, the harddisk is likely dead. I recommend a Sandisk 1 or 2GB CF card + $2 CF-IDE-adapter from Hong Kong as replacement, you'll love the speed boost I think.
Old 23 August 2011, 22:30   #7
jt5566
jt

Thanks so much. No need to apologize, although i have owned many home computers over the years (ZX81,Atari 800xl,Amiga 600 & PC) i should have spent more time learing how they really worked instead of playing games. I know only the basics (and not BASIC...) so all help appreciated, the simpler the better.
So i can just buy the adapter and a sandisk 2gb card plug them in and im sorted? Does the Amiga automatically see the 2gb? or is there more to it? Also best/reliable place to get such adapters? Im thinking i may keep my Amiga & restart my self tuition in computers. Ill check my mem card now.
Thanks
Old 23 August 2011, 23:59   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Thanks so much. No need to apologize, although i have owned many home computers over the years (ZX81,Atari 800xl,Amiga 600 & PC) i should have spent more time learing how they really worked instead of playing games. I know only the basics (and not BASIC...) so all help appreciated, the simpler the better.
So i can just buy the adapter and a sandisk 2gb card plug them in and im sorted? Does the Amiga automatically see the 2gb? or is there more to it? Also best/reliable place to get such adapters? Im thinking i may keep my Amiga & restart my self tuition in computers. Ill check my mem card now.
Thanks
Yes, you can only if your kickstart rev is 37.300 or 37.350.
If you have 37.299, then it wont be detected.

If you have the original HDD and the install disks, just to get you up and running.
Use the install disk and the prep tool. That should sort out your drive for now until you get used to the HDD and RDB.
I used to spend hours messing with my A600's HDD tools when I was a kid.

/me waits to be flamed, .
Old 24 August 2011, 01:11   #9
jt5566
jt

Ok, thanks for that.
im still uncertain of what im meant to do re' making the system work either as a 600, a 600 with its internal hard drive working or ignoring the amiga hard drive and pluggin in an adapter & 2gb card drive?
sorry but i really am in new waters here.
Where do i find the kickstart rev info?
I see a message along the top "window" of the opening screen which reads:
Hard drive preperation Partitioning and formatting - Version 2.22
Workbench
The issue is after i try to prep the hard drive using the install disk that i get the rdb, error3, check hard drive messages.
I still havnt tried to create or know how to create a new RDB??
I guess im initially hoping i can use the A600 hard drive as fitted unless its knackered.
So any advice please.
Old 24 August 2011, 11:13   #10
jt5566
jt

Had a look at the 1gb mem expansion cardbattery not leaked but may be dead? card seems ok as does the general state of the board etc.
Im considering taking the case apart to see how the reat of computer insides look. The Amiga has been boxed & kept under a bed, indoors for years.
I wont be touching anything as i dont know what im looking at.
Still unsure how to rell which kick start im using? when i open CLI the window reads: Amiga shell 3.2.0 install?

ps just opened it up and had peek, all went back together nicely. took a photo too for what its worth. am i meant to replace the original hard drive with a new adapter (which model?) and mem card, and fit it where the original disk sat?
Also what might i use the smart card slot for?
cheers

ps ive just restarted my Amiga and i read at start up screen 2.0 roms (37.300) is that my kickstart rev?

Last edited by jt5566; 24 August 2011 at 12:42.
Old 24 August 2011, 14:08   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
i read at start up screen 2.0 roms (37.300) is that my kickstart rev?
Yes. Your hard drive is probably old and knackered. Fit a newer 2.5" 44-pin PATA drive from a laptop or an equivalent.

An IDE->SD card adapter + a 2gb card would probably be the quickest, cheapest solution. Remember to partition your card with a MAX TRANSFER of 0x1FE00 (a setting in HDToolbox during the installation)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-SDHC-MM...item19c752b66a

Quote:
Also what might i use the smart card slot for?
1) Memory upgrade (1, 2 or 4Mbytes of PCMCIA SRAM)
2) Wired Network card (10baseT PCMCIA cards based on NE2000 or 3C589 chipsets)
3) Wireless Network card (802.11a/b cards based on PRISM 2 chipset)
4) SCSI adapter (Squirrel interface for Hard drives or CD-ROM)
5) Non-bootable Compact Flash adapters (useful for transferring data from the PC)

Perhaps something else??

FYI you will struggle to use a network card on a 2Mbyte A600 as the network drivers will eat all your RAM. It is not impossible but IMO not worth bothering with. A 2Mbyte SRAM card and a Compact Flash adapter are "must haves" for unaccelerated A600's

Last edited by alexh; 24 August 2011 at 14:25.
Old 24 August 2011, 15:47   #12
jt5566
jt

Thanks for that, all info and links appreciated.
So i dont need to remove the old "knackered" 20md drive. Cheapest solution preferable. So from those links what is the simplest option? Can say get the non bootable compact flash adapter with say a sandisk 2gb flash card and plug it into my Amigas smart slot and Ill have a 2gb hard drive all ready top go? or am i missing the bit where i open up the amiga and take things out?
Or am i confusing my Ram with my hard drive problem? Sorry for stupid questions.
Old 24 August 2011, 16:02   #13
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Thanks for that, all info and links appreciated.
So i dont need to remove the old "knackered" 20md drive. Cheapest solution preferable. So from those links what is the simplest option? Can say get the non bootable compact flash adapter with say a sandisk 2gb flash card and plug it into my Amigas smart slot and Ill have a 2gb hard drive all ready top go? or am i missing the bit where i open up the amiga and take things out?
Or am i confusing my Ram with my hard drive problem? Sorry for stupid questions.
Yep open up the a600, remove crappy 20mb HDD and replace with a IDE/SD adapator with a 2gb adaptor.

In the side slot stick an PCMCIA SD card reader for easy transfer between PC and Amiga, though if you get the kit from amigakit all the hardwork is done or you could go for it yourself and but the individual parts.
Old 24 August 2011, 16:05   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

If you wanted to, you can go to 4GB with your current kickstart.
Old 24 August 2011, 17:19   #15
jt5566
jt

So what would Amiga kit charge me for the simplest easiest solution?
They send the parts and i plug them in correct?
Those links from the previous post suggest a smart card with SDRAM is £75! bit rich for me, im hoping to just get my Amiga running again play with it for a while and either keep or sell.
So I need 4 components *:
To update my RAM (through the smart slot) *2Gb or 4Gb CF Flash card (£10 ish?) and a *CF adapter (£1) plugged in through the side smart card slot?
To upgrade my hard drive i completely remove the original 20MB drive, get an *IDE/SE adapter plug that in to the Amigas board (where the old hard drive is currently attached) and then attach a *new drive to that. Im a bit fuzzy on the hard drive details: Am i getting some sort of Flash drive to go in the Amiga or a more traditional 2.5" drive? Sorry i think i need suggestions for specific parts as my searching the web seem to give ne many confusing options.
Thanks guys
Old 24 August 2011, 17:35   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
So what would Amiga kit charge me for the simplest easiest solution?
They send the parts and i plug them in correct?
Those links from the previous post suggest a smart card with SDRAM is £75! bit rich for me, im hoping to just get my Amiga running again play with it for a while and either keep or sell.
So I need 4 components *:
To update my RAM (through the smart slot) *2Gb or 4Gb CF Flash card (£10 ish?) and a *CF adapter (£1) plugged in through the side smart card slot?
To upgrade my hard drive i completely remove the original 20MB drive, get an *IDE/SE adapter plug that in to the Amigas board (where the old hard drive is currently attached) and then attach a *new drive to that. Im a bit fuzzy on the hard drive details: Am i getting some sort of Flash drive to go in the Amiga or a more traditional 2.5" drive? Sorry i think i need suggestions for specific parts as my searching the web seem to give ne many confusing options.
Thanks guys
You would be better contacting us at our store.

In regards to ram, I think abit confused, you cant use 2GB / 4GB as RAM in the PCMCIA slot (only as storage).

To upgrade your HDD,yes, all you need is an adapter and card.
Either IDE to SD or IDE to CF.
Old 24 August 2011, 17:41   #17
deicidal
Registered Insane

Yep they send it you plug it in.

2mb SRAM card to give you a bit more memory are a mental one they can go for silly money sometimes, I picked mine up for £20 off ebay but i have seen them go for £60! or you could go for amigakis a604 .

As for the hardrive you are using readily availabale flash cards to act as a hardrive via the pcb, wether you want to go SD or CF card route is up to you. Yet again amigakit sell one ready to go so just uplug HDD and stick in the adapater with card. You may run into to problems with SD cards if you go above 2gb though.

As well as using the PCMCIA slot for ram you can also get another card reader for making the transfer of files between the PC and amiga easier, yet again amigakit offer a kit ready to go or you can the bits yourself from china. You could also do it via serial cable and amiga expllorer but its painfully slow. Or you could use a PCMCIA network card but from what you have been asking I dont think thats the best option for you.
Old 24 August 2011, 18:36   #18
jt5566
jt

Thanks once more. Yeah i may well give Amiga kit a call.
Im looking on line and though i may get the parts for a new hard drive cheaper abroad, i may also wait for ages from China to ship & i may get the wrong thing... that would be bad.
Amiga kits 4GB ready to plug & go option looks interesting (£28) They say its all there a 4Gb card, cable adapter, partitioned for me, set to plug in and go.
As to the memory issue my Amiga tells me that its seeing the 1MB expansion still so its got 2MB in it at present (slow though it may be?). The question is what is the simplest and easiest option for a memory upgrade to say 2GB? (or am I wrong & limited to 2-4MB? looking at the available options i think im thinking i can get my Amiga to use 2gb of memory, thinking some more my laptop has 4gb and its 20yrs younger... So 4MegaBytes maximum RAM not GigaBytes, correct?)
As a proviso' The machine is 20 years old. i dont want to break the bank getting new parts for the old original parts to die on me or for it to go back in its box for another ten years. On the other hand it could give my venerable Amiga a new lease of life. After all i very nearly sold it at a car boot last week for £40 and something stopped me from taking offers.
As a side question I see talk of a newer OS system for Amiga or is that for more powerful machines only?

Last edited by jt5566; 24 August 2011 at 18:45.
Old 24 August 2011, 18:44   #19
deicidal
Registered Insane

Hmmm well I have never had any problem with the ide adaptor boards I have got from china and I have always got the cheapest off ebay but I know others who have. Someone on amibay was selling a bucket load of cf cards quite cheaply as well.
Old 24 August 2011, 18:46   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Thanks once more. Yeah i may well give Amiga kit a call.
Im looking on line and though i may get the parts for a new hard drive cheaper, i may also wait for ages from China & i may get the wrong thing... that would be bad. Amiga kits 4GB ready to plug & go option looks interesting (£28) They say its all there a 4Gb card, cable adapter, partitioned for me, set to plug in and go.
As to the memory issue my Amiga tells me that its seeing the 1MB expansion still so its got 2MB in it at present (slow though it may be?). The question is what is the simplest and easiest option for a memeory upgrade? The machine is 20 years old. i dont want to break the bank getting parts for the old original parts to die on me or for it to go back in its box for another ten years. On the other hand it could give my venerable Amiga a new lease of life. After all i very nearly sold it at a car boot last week for £40 and something stopped me from taking offers.
As a side question I see talk of a newer OS system for Amiga or is that for more powerful machines only?
For memory the S-RAM cards are quite expensive. The other option would be to buy an ACA630/25MHz Accellerator.
This would give you a processor upgrade to 68030 running at 25MHz and it also has 32MB of Fast RAM onboard.

Quote:
Yes.