English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 April 2011, 08:32   #61
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The downsides to having a 68010 (lots of demos and games on floppy disk no longer work) out weigh the ability to quit WHDload games and return to the OS.
Personally I disagree with this. I've had a 68010 in my A2000 for years and on the rare occasion something doesn't work I run it on UAE with different configurations to see what's causing the problem. Not once has it been the 68010.
Old 09 April 2011, 08:39   #62
Pyromania

CDTV's are very cool, I have two of them.
Old 09 April 2011, 23:12   #63
CDTV1991

I'm struggling with the project so far (time, effort and skill wise)

Drilled a hole in the side for my extended ROM on/off switch. Then realised it clashes with the steel surround for the PSU so the hole is useless and scruffy. I'll have to get a blanking grommet to fill it! Fool again. Measure twice, cut once and all that....

Then I was hoping to ditch the Video card as I use the RGB out port and not the connections on this card. I thought I could use this space for my joystick and mouse ports as the hole is larger than the expansion port. however it appears that the machine doesn't boot without this card in place. rethink needed

Then the pre-wired joystick ports I have did not have a sufficiently long ribbon cable to reach the chip at the front if I mounted them on the back. So i'm currently looking to install the mouse and joystick ports on the side, although that has its obstructions too.

I'm also crap at cutting out small precise holes out of metal for new ports. Mostly because I have a good collection on building tools but a pathetic amount of "craft" tools, i.e. no dremel drill!

Then I need to fit in my HxC floppy adapter and the external floppy interface that it runs off. There are two small PCB's that I think I can fit inside but I need to ensure that the keyboard control will 100% remove the need to access the HxC board buttons. Awaiting keyboard to confirm this. I have bought a SD card socket extension cable so I can shove the HxC inside the CDTV and still be able to access the SD slot externally. I'll still have to run the external floppy cable outside the machine to plug into the floppy port.

After i've sorted these items i'd still like the HxC LCD screen mounted on the top of the machine case, but I need a ribbon cable extension from HxC to mounting position

Looks like I really need a hobby drill to cut all these ports and holes in
Old 10 April 2011, 02:24   #64
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post
Then I was hoping to ditch the Video card as I use the RGB out port and not the connections on this card. I thought I could use this space for my joystick and mouse ports as the hole is larger than the expansion port. however it appears that the machine doesn't boot without this card in place. rethink needed
It does boot. The analog video signals to the RGB port are routed via that card. No card, open circuit, no video. You could *maybe* rig a bypass, create a dummy card which goes in the slot but doesn't use the back panel.
Old 14 April 2011, 19:22   #65
CDTV1991

Would this work with a CDTV?

http://www.vesalia.de/e_4playeradapter.htm

parallel port to 2 joystick port adapter

Looking at it more closely it appears that it wouldnt add a joystick port, as the CDTV doesn't have one.

Last edited by CDTV1991; 14 April 2011 at 19:30.
Old 14 April 2011, 21:05   #66
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It does work but it adds joystick ports 2 & 3 for games which support them. Such as Dynablasters.
Old 14 April 2011, 21:37   #67
CDTV1991

Shame, it's joystick port 1 I'm struggling with. The 9 way ribbon cable with a socket pre wired are too short to run them to the back and there's little opportunity to mount them on the side as there's a lot of chassis bits in the way. Still searching.
Old 14 April 2011, 22:43   #68
CDTV1991

Seems that CDTV keyboards are pretty rare. With many being cannibalised for the black keys there must be some knocking around with yellowing keys from previously yellowing amigas.

Without the keyboard I can't manage the HxC controls with out having it hanging over the front of the machine.
Old 14 April 2011, 22:51   #69
gehtjanx
Banned

Great project,

Well, if you don't want to make holes or find no place, there are special adapters made for the cdtv. I have one, but these are sadly hard to find. the connect to the mouse or trackball port.

The Bootrom switch is very useful. I have one too.

I didn't read anything, what version of bootrom do you have? 2.30 is the lastest and I also have a special kickstart switch between 1.3 and 2.04. 1.3 for gaming, 2.04 is better for workbench or other programs etc. Maybe you are also interested in this mod?

> compact flash HDD via IDE vid SCSI providing I can do this for less than £75

Well, I have a cdtv scsi adapter, but I never got that running, sadly. Space is a problem in cdtv because I wanted to give access to the cf card from outside without modifying the cdtv's case. But I can say that SCSI-> IDE is working well (tested in my A3000) and also IDE->CF card (for HDD or FAT32) is working, depending on the cf card specification. So I would say it is possible technically, but adapters are expansive.

It's very cool to get the CF-card where the memory-card-port is normally

EDIT:
For the keyboard:
You can use EVERY external Amiga Keyboard. But CDTV has a 5 pin mini din. A2000 / 3000 / 3000T / 4000T has 5 pin DIN. A4000 D has a 6 pin MINI DIN. So a adapter from either 5 pin DIN or 6 pin mini DIN to 5 pin mini DIN should be working fine
Note: minidin 5+6 are different and not only "I cut a pin off". there is a protection plastic in the middle.

But you can emulate lot of keys with remote or trackball. Are the functions accessable from there? (sry I do not own HxC). Maybe you can config the keys used for controlling?

Good luck ,
gehtjanx
Old 14 April 2011, 23:05   #70
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehtjanx View Post
So a adapter from either 5 pin DIN or 6 pin mini DIN to 5 pin mini DIN should be working fine
You cannot buy them. You have to make them. I provided all the technical details including sources for all cables & connectors in another thread.

Quote:
Seems that CDTV keyboards are pretty rare. With many being cannibalised for the black keys there must be some knocking around with yellowing keys from previously yellowing amigas.
Post in Marketplace and over on http://www.amibay.com as a WTB: CDTV keyboard (white keys ok) and you'll get one I'm sure of it.
Old 15 April 2011, 02:37   #71
gehtjanx
Banned

I know that there are no ready to plaug in adapters for 6 to 5 pin mini din. I just want to state it so he maybe can add another keyboard if he can get one. As for the adapter, I think he is able to built it himself, as he also tries expanding the cdtv etc.

maybe I'm wrong, well sry.It's good to get a real cdtv keboard.

gehtjanx
Old 15 April 2011, 22:21   #72
CDTV1991

I have possibly found a keyboard, although it's looking more expensive than the CDTV itself.

I did get a new CDTV mouse for a tenner from eBay

I didn't bother getting a cheap-ish 68010P12 CPU from eBay as it may cause incompatibility problems and give little benefit.

I'll only be using the CDTV for floppy games as there's little chance of getting a hard drive working, therefore all workbench type stuff is out.

I don't intend to update or add any ROMS as 1.3 is fine for floppy games.

Costs have gone up though and have acquired some useless bits that I can't use, but only cheap cable components.

Todo (still)

1. Drill power supply housing, fit rom switch in case with detachable plug so I can take the lids off. I have a cheap hobby drill now!

2. Learn more functions of the HxC with a keyboard. Keyboard hopefully coming soon.

3. Fit joystick port for my Bug joystick
Old 15 April 2011, 22:25   #73
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Costs have gone up though and have acquired some useless bits that I can't use, but only cheap cable components.
Sell em?

Good luck. Hold out for a cheaper keyboard... surely you can wait a bit? You only put the word out today. Did you post at Amibay?
Old 15 April 2011, 22:29   #74
CDTV1991

IDEA:

Could I boot my CDTV to workbench from floppy and be able to access a data CD (perhaps full of application / workbench stuff)

If so then limitations may be memory, access speed? And I'd rather wb2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Sell em?

Good luck. Hold out for a cheaper keyboard... surely you can wait a bit? You only put the word out today. Did you post at Amibay?
Weeks ago on amibay, no responses!

Last edited by TCD; 15 April 2011 at 22:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 15 April 2011, 22:33   #75
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Could I boot my CDTV to workbench from floppy and be able to access a data CD (perhaps full of application / workbench stuff)
Yes, and boot WB from CD.

Quote:
If so then limitations may be memory, access speed?
Memory. You'll run out of RAM quite quickly.

Quote:
And I'd rather wb2+
Not without a Kickstart & Extended ROM upgrade (we've been through that problem).

Quote:
Weeks ago on amibay, no responses!
Bump it? Add that you'll take white keys?
Old 15 April 2011, 22:36   #76
gehtjanx
Banned

Hello,

@ CDTV1991:
If bootrom is activated, CD should be CD0: as far as I know. I would have to test if that's always working or only if some drivers are loaded. I think with bootrom on, it should be possible (if CD format supported). If bootrom off, you need drivers to access CD0:

I found this, maybe interesting: To kill CD0: and mount another filesystem, if you want (or just want to kill CD0
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/KillCD0

For kickstart:
It's ok to stay with 1.3 for games. If you want to get a HDD or CF card, I would prefer a switch 1.3 and 2.0.

gehtjanx
Old 15 April 2011, 23:39   #77
CDTV1991

Keyboard on amibay was from the US so it was 86 USD total, way too expensive

I'll keep my eye on the ads over the next week or so
Old 16 April 2011, 00:40   #78
gehtjanx
Banned

sure. buying it separate is expansive. maybe you can get a whole set at a better price in your country. But seems you have found one here (other thread).

good luck anyways.

gehtjanx
Old 16 April 2011, 00:41   #79
Jeff_HxC2001

Just a small post to say that there are a new firmware for the SD HxC Floppy Emulator:

Quote:
10/04/2011: Firmware SD HxCFloppyEmulator v1.6.0.0

- File browser : The file browser now jump to the start/end of the file list once you reached its end/start.

- Direct access mode :
Speed optimization for the Hard Disk Emulation mode ;-) :
->Faster read and write Access
->Dynamic sector number during read/writing
(Hard disk emulation driver available soon on Atari ST computers ;-) )

Note: The file selector software must be updated!

- HFE file renaming Function :

->The HFE file can now be renamed.
To do this just select an HFE file and press the select button during 1 second.
Then In the function menu choose "Rename Img file".
Note: The file name on the sdcard isn't directly changed by this function but the new name is changed into the HFE file.

- New boot/power up mode :
->New Option to force loading STARTUPA.HFE at power up into the drive A.
->New Option to force loading STARTUPB.HFE at power up into the drive B.

- Autoboot/file selector program boot mode enhanced :

->New Option to Force loading AUTOBOOT.HFE at power up (don't load the last selection at power up)
->New Option to choose the next slot when inserting the SDCard.
With this feature, the LCD screen and buttons are optional
because the SDCard can be used like a true floppy disk: eject it and reinsert it to choose the next Floppy.

- Write support : No more glitch on the read data line during writing (Correct write problem on some FDC).
Write gate management bug corrected in 500Kbits/s MFM mode. (765A FDC write bug).

- Various bugs corrected and code enhancement...
This one may help you.

I will add the joystick control soon to the file selector software.

If you have any question/suggestion don't hesitate to contact me .
Old 19 April 2011, 23:02   #80
CDTV1991

Keyboard arrived today and works great.

The HxC software is very good and the keyboard seems pretty essential

I've learned a few things about the HxC floppy emulator, upgraded the firmware and learned how to use the different slots for games with more than 2 discs

However before I set it up properly I lost a jumper somewhere in the room! So I've ordered some more from eBay for a few pennies

Things I'd like to check for the HxC are:

Why not have lots of virtual disc drives so multi disc games can all be in one slot?

Is there a way to change slots while a game is running without pressing the HxC buttons?

Say I have three two disc games, one in each of three slots, how do I launch one game, say from slot 2?

I'll post the same questions on the HxC forum

Other matters:

ROM switch, I drilled a easy hole in the side of the lid (12mm) but failed to notice that the psu housing is in the way! However while looking on eBay for CDTV bits I saw that there is a small pre drilled hole in the video card at the back so the lid can be removed without snagging a wire. However it means that the nice button I bought is too big and the in line wire connectors are useless, only a few quid but useless for this project. I may try to find a little switch to install on the back video card plate then that task will be complete.

As for mounting the HxC inside I have a floppy cable extender, an sd slot extender but not a floppy power cable extender, so I may pick one up so I can hide the HxC unit elsewhere from the floppy controller board and main floppy cable which will still have to run outside of the machine to the rear floppy port.

It seems that I may still have to access the HxC buttons and be able to see the screen to change disc or slots on the HxC floppy emulator unless the operation changes.

As I have a CDTV keyboard, mouse and remote control, joystick control is not essential at the moment but eventually I'd like to use my bug joystick, but that will mean cables, cutting, soldering and drilling.