English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 October 2002, 16:01   #1
blackcornflake

Virtual vs Reality

For some reason, strategy games on computers have never really appealed to me that much. But give me a board on a big table (or a floor), a few mates, beer, and some cute little cardboard pieces to move around, and I can get into it. Maybe it’s a tactile thing, with stacks of units to push around. Maybe it’s the lack of an ‘interface’ getting in the way. Perchance it is the interaction with the other players, with liberal bending of the rules. Could be the beer. Dunno.

Anyway. This is just one example of something being more enjoyable in non-computerised form (to me personally, I hasten to add - no need to take umbrage, computer strategy fans).

Let’s have some more examples of this phenomenon, chaps and chapesses. The comparison need not necessarily be between board games and computer games; anything that can be simulated via silicon is in. A more ‘real’ activity would probably make for a better example than mine, anyway. Like flying a plane, or driving at high speed, or bass fishing, or getting into a fight… you get the idea. Pros and cons, if you please. Serious or silly, I don’t mind.

And let’s have the flipside, too. Examples of things you find preferable when they are computerised. Running around corridors shooting monsters, perhaps.
Old 21 October 2002, 18:47   #2
child of Thor

Well i prefer.....er you know what! In real life it makes sense!( :hoo )
The Sims is almost my 'Computer' nightmare. Reminds me of a couple of Phillip K.Dick novels about pacifiying the masses through virtual expeirences. Shudder. I don't actually like computers much, kind of sinister really. So i vote for everything in real-life, over virtual. Just for our own long-term preservation!

On a less paranoid note , Have you tried any computer strategy games over a LAN setup? It sort of brings the good elements of table top strat to the pc quite nicely(and you don't lose important counters!).
Old 21 October 2002, 19:10   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

ahmm
try play tekken for real
that "kick ass"

or play Road Rash for real

Old 22 October 2002, 14:54   #4
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
The Sims is almost my 'Computer' nightmare. Reminds me of a couple of Phillip K.Dick novels about pacifiying the masses through virtual expeirences. Shudder. I don't actually like computers much, kind of sinister really. So i vote for everything in real-life, over virtual. Just for our own long-term preservation!
I know what you are saying, and I agree that it is a scary concept. I think The Sims is harmless enough though, kinda akin to Theme Park. But perhaps we will see the 'Sims' idea taken further as technology progresses. The 'life' simulated in a game will surely become more involving and realistic. People will lose years of their lives to virtual reality!

Quote:
On a less paranoid note , Have you tried any computer strategy games over a LAN setup? It sort of brings the good elements of table top strat to the pc quite nicely(and you don't lose important counters!).
I have dabbled with Masters of Orion 2 and Shogun: Total War. I find LAN play interesting, but still find it falls somewhat short of actually sitting round with other dudes. I have been meaning to play HBMonopoly (Amiga) over the Internet for a while, out of curiosity. Might be annoying though, depending on the opponent(s) - and not even a 'steal money from bank' option!

Quote:
Well i prefer.....er you know what! In real life it makes sense!( :hoo )
Agreed!
Old 22 October 2002, 17:02   #5
Ash
Zone Friend

Depends I guess on the person in question

I love first person shooters
Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem, Quake, Quake II, Quake III Areana, Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, etc
[Akira might shudder but I can't help myself]
Any game that has a shotgun and I'm there
I like to play Half-Life and Quake III the most, there are some really cool mods for them like
Action Half-Life, Vampire Slayer, The Wastes, Painkeep Arena, Reaction Quake III, etc
It would be illegal and insane to blast ppl left right and centre in real life, so I get to digitally, even better on a LAN
I work different hours to most of my freinds so its nice to fire up a mod and some bots and vent before and after work
Different folks for the world!
*Hoo*

Last edited by Ash; 22 October 2002 at 18:13.
Old 22 October 2002, 18:07   #6
Amiga1992

Reality sucks . At least when they try to immitate it in games...
Old 24 October 2002, 16:54   #7
Ash
Zone Friend

The only way I can do what I love in the virtual world in the real world is get into counter-terrorism, as in a Swat Team Capacity
Which seems to get more appealing everyday
I'm actually looking to get into such work atm
I can't wait till I can get in!
Old 25 October 2002, 21:26   #8
child of Thor

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
...edit...

I have dabbled with Masters of Orion 2 and Shogun: Total War. I find LAN play interesting, but still find it falls somewhat short of actually sitting round with other dudes.
......edit....

I usually play Lan in the company of a couple of mates(i've got access to a few pc's in the same place) - i'm not into the online game thing much. At least with friends you can sit around and have a beer and a laugh at the same time! I really wish they would sort out the 'strategic map' section of Shogun(or Medieval for that matter) so you could play the whole campaign in multiplayer - that would be a very great mp experience!

@Dizzy

I guess 'tekken' in the real world would be the after pub fight or post-football match rumble

@Akira

ain't that the truth!

@Ash

Joining a swat team will be much more stimulating than shooting a few bots that's for sure:eek

Is it just me or do i see our childrens,children growing big heads like the mekon(comic character) and a few more fingers to better manipulate the game controllers, and maybe floating around on some kinda hoverdisk? So i still stand by my coviction that i'd choose R/L over virtual - even for the bad stuff. Games are cool though and been part of my life since the early days - just liked getting out into the world as well, kinda keeps it balanced i find?
Old 25 October 2002, 22:31   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, I guess gaming was never inteded to "replace" reality in first place. That´s why I can´t understand why someone would make a computer version of Monopoly or any other board game (Unless they do something like Space Hulk, which is different enough from the board game to be fun to play). The only good thing with computer versions of board games is when you don´t have anyone around to play with you, then you can play against the computer.

So, even if while you´re playing Quake III in your bedroom, kill people certainly has nothing to do with press a few buttons and move your mouse around. As much as make food has nothing to do with press the mouse button at the microwave and press "Make Food", or however it works in The Sims.

Games are just different of real life, no matter how realistic you make a game. They shouldn´t be supposed to imitate life, but just let the player have some fun.
Old 26 October 2002, 15:22   #10
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
My Example of this would be by playing those damned addictive "Adventure Game Books " I used to spend ages and ages playing these things......>And when I am sick of my PC Still do