English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 November 2009, 19:55   #1
kixs

A1200 won't boot - keeps rebooting

Hi there,

I have this problem with my A1200. The last time I used it, about a month ago, everything was OK. Then I moved to another flat and today I wanted to setup my computer desk.

Connected everything and turned the power on. It looks like it's in rebooting loop. The gray screen is for about 4 seconds then screen lightly blinks and again gray screen for 4 seconds and this on and on. It doesn't come to read the floopy.

I already disconnected the HDD and memory expansion board. Holding the two mouse buttons does nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04 November 2009, 20:22   #2
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Hi kixs,

the first thing to do it´s open your A1200 and, gently, get rom chips out from their support and put them again to prevent bad contacts. Next inspect your mobo around capacitors to see if they hadn´t dropped any acid. If it´s wet around caps you has to clean it, if not, close your A1200 again and test it to see if it works again.
Old 04 November 2009, 23:06   #3
kixs

Did as you said, reinserted ROM chips. Capacitors look good. Still no progress as it reboots as before.

If I disconnect keyboard, floppy and HDD is it supposed to boot to the insert floppy screen or what happens in this case?

Any other ideas I should/could try?

Thanks
Old 04 November 2009, 23:10   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixs View Post
Did as you said, reinserted ROM chips. Capacitors look good. Still no progress as it reboots as before.

If I disconnect keyboard, floppy and HDD is it supposed to boot to the insert floppy screen or what happens in this case?

Thanks
If you have Kickstart 3.0, it will take about 10 seconds to show kick screen.
If you have Kickstart 3.1, it will take about 40 seconds to show kick screen.
Old 04 November 2009, 23:12   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Not much help but check the screen colours here may help a little to as what's the problem http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20302
Old 04 November 2009, 23:46   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Not much help but check the screen colours here may help a little to as what's the problem http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20302
Quote:
Connected everything and turned the power on. It looks like it's in rebooting loop. The gray screen is for about 4 seconds then screen lightly blinks and again gray screen for 4 seconds and this on and on. It doesn't come to read the floopy.
Well, according to that thread, the colour gray indicates that the hardware, registers and software checks are satisfactory and the light blink (white?) indicates that the system is ready to boot (at least for an instant)... but then it reboots!

So the problem doesn't sound too serious: the initial checks are successful and the system is just getting ready to boot - when something triggers a reboot.

I am inclined to suspect the power supply.
Old 05 November 2009, 08:23   #7
kixs

Kickstart is V3.0 (39.106)

I have one other Amiga 1200 and that one works with the same power supply just fine.

About the boot colors, I checked that thread before thats why I described the reboot process in colors. That blink after 4s is just that - it just blinks kinda black but really fast - Amiga is connected to an LCD monitor and then it looks like this is doing repeatedly nonstop.
Old 05 November 2009, 10:26   #8
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:

Thanks

What progress did you make disconnecting peripherals, Kixs?

I would think taking it gradually back to vanilla and seeing at what point it boots properly would be informative.

For some reason I'm wondering about the hard drive cable and its connection.
Old 05 November 2009, 11:45   #9
kixs

Right now everything is disconnected and the problem remains as described in post #1.
Old 05 November 2009, 16:34   #10
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Time to start replacing the capacitors and checking if one of the little SMD resistors din't break apart.

Patience, calm, a good light source and a magnifier can make things happen. Of course, better just replace the capacitors and the SMD 555 in the board before checking the hundreds of resistors on it.
Old 06 November 2009, 10:10   #11
kixs

I guess I'll have to make some time this weekend and replace at least the non SMD capacitors and the SMD 555 as you said.

thanks
Old 10 November 2009, 03:01   #12
kixs

Just replaced all the non-SMD caps and the problem stays, no improvement whatsoever.

On a closer look I think the C459 SMD and E232R look kinda suspicious. Does anyone know if these two could be in someway related to the problem?

One other thing... Even before this the signal from composite out was very bad with lots of interference - this hasn't changed.

Hopefully someone can make something out of this.

Thanks
Old 10 November 2009, 09:29   #13
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

If I was you would replace all smd caps. If you utilize the rkauer´s technics (two solder irons)to desolder smd caps it´s very easy. To solder the caps again you can utilize standard caps as it´s is more easy to solder and still do the same effect
Old 10 November 2009, 12:27   #14
kixs

Probably the best idea, 'couse I can't get the required SMD caps.
Old 10 November 2009, 16:51   #15
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Probably the best idea, 'couse I can't get the required SMD caps.
yeah I did that with my A600 caps because despite I can get the required SMD caps some of them are larger than the originals and didn´t fit in the original place.
In standard caps I cut their legs so keep about 1cm of the legs, then I bend the final 2mm of each leg in 90 degrees and solder these 2mm of each leg in the original place.
Keep in mind that the caps are polarized, the minus signal of caps leg fits in oposite of + sign drawn in the original places
Old 12 November 2009, 01:42   #16
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Before do some radical thing like replacing discrete capacitors, look close to other places that can affect the motherboard behaviour, like cold joints.

Special attention must be paid for the power connector and those ferrite coils right on the Amiga left side.