English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 February 2017, 07:51   #101
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I recall reading about this in Amiga Power (in more than one issue of the magazine too I think). They wanted to do the parallax backdrops, and were planning on using the same data the SNES version used. But it came down to a choice of dual-playfield or 50Hz screen update. And after much debate they opted for the higher framerate over the extra graphics as the developers felt it was a better game that way.
This issue http://amr.abime.net/review_18239 they talk about two versions one with a larger screen and one with a smaller screen and parallax........
Old 14 March 2018, 00:24   #102
AmigaBoy

I've gotta bump this thread to say this is unreal. I love the Amiga version of The Addams Family, so the notion of possibly seeing the backgrounds added in is exciting. Probably won't happen, but exciting
Old 14 March 2018, 04:52   #103
albino

The amiga version is rush super famicom port...that's why they scrapped the background.

Once the nintendo game was done they came back at the amiga and rewrote the game

from the scratch with the snes version as model. They must had issues troughout the

devellopement and decided to cover the background for matter of time..

Like peter thierolf said about turrican 3 : The game would have been better if designed for the amiga not ported from the megadrive.

Last edited by albino; 14 March 2018 at 05:00.
Old 22 July 2018, 02:34   #104
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

Hello! I did a lot of research on this when I did the Addams Family episode of PortsCenter. Anikrob is correct - it came down to wanting the smoother graphics, but also because the background layer didn't actually scroll - i.e. it was a fixed, static layer - players of an early demo build that featured the backdrops complained that it was difficult to figure out where Gomez was visually when he was in freefall. For these reasons, the backdrop layer was nix'd and we got a solid backdrop.

The Amiga version also doesn't include the fencing sword or bouncy ball power-ups, IIRC.
Old 22 July 2018, 13:55   #105
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Even the developers talk about a version with parallax and when I put the background on the selection screen there was no problem seeing Gomez, I think it's more lack of resources it would have taken time to do special static backgrounds and mix with foreground just for the Amiga version, plus it would of increased the file size of the maps maybe to double.

....but who cares let's play Call of Duty.

Last edited by Retro1234; 22 July 2018 at 14:04.
Old 22 July 2018, 15:11   #106
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Seriously, they did the effort on the ST version, and not the amiga version.

Why ? Amiga 512kb, when all the other games at the same time used 1mb of ram.

The Amiga version is a pork and lazy job.

Just for the 2 cts, the SNES use a planar display, exactly like the Amiga..... And This game is not as complicated as a game like lionheart for example.
Old 22 July 2018, 19:59   #107
squirminator2k

I mean, the question has already been answered. It's been answered in this thread at least twice.

If you've ever actually played the ST version, you'll know that the backgrounds there don't actually scroll at all. They're fixed. They're also way too bright - backgrounds should ideally be darker so you don't lose your foreground characters.
Old 23 July 2018, 03:00   #108
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Just for the 2 cts, the SNES use a planar display, exactly like the Amiga..... And This game is not as complicated as a game like lionheart for example.
Not at all like the Amiga, you mean.

To begin with, the SNES has two graphics enabling free dual playfield.
Old 23 July 2018, 07:14   #109
squirminator2k

Yeah, I'll never understand the "lazy port" arguments when the game is slick and smooth - certainly slicker and smoother than some other console ports (looking at you, TMNT). People get too hung up on those backdrops.
Old 26 September 2021, 07:21   #110
Dougal

Bump.

Was there any progress in enabling the backgrounds for the Amiga version ?
Old 26 September 2021, 13:25   #111
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I was able to insert a static background in some of the levels but there where problems

1. tiles can't be flipped as far as I know so there are many missing tiles.
2. one of the levels I did the Hero/Sprite/Gomez now. appears behind the background tiles.

I really miss having time for this kind of thing I had some good fun doing this kind of thing
I remember finding the map in the the SNES version and tiles, I wish I had ripped all these and uploaded to somewhere like sprite resource, never seen a resource having the map data and tile sets for console stuff.

Wrote a couple of programme to help me convert the snes background to Amiga and then combine the foreground and background.

Ok it might not be the most amazing thing in the world but I enjoyed doing it.
Old 26 September 2021, 20:43   #112
squirminator2k

We've seen a lot of screenshots of people "restoring" partial backdrops, but I would love to see some video.
Old 26 September 2021, 20:52   #113
Retro1234
Phone Homer

It was a WinUae savestate, but if someone really wanted to do a remake they could probably use Scorpion engine but it would be a big job and the existing port is pretty good the gameplay is good.

people go ooo the ST version has parallax scrolling but it not smooth and it's in small sections the Amiga version is better.
Old 26 September 2021, 21:53   #114
Dougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
It was a WinUae savestate, but if someone really wanted to do a remake they could probably use Scorpion engine but it would be a big job and the existing port is pretty good the gameplay is good.

people go ooo the ST version has parallax scrolling but it not smooth and it's in small sections the Amiga version is better.
The ST version looks good static but I played it and I hate how it does not scroll but rather it pushes from screen to screen. Its not all that smooth though its OK I guess but as you say the Amiga version plays well enough, better than the ST thats for sure. Shame it just looks so unfinished.

I've got an ST, I've got a SNES and a Megadrive (both with Everdrives), so playing Adams Family I've got a good choice lol, but my heart lies with the Amiga and that is what I played Adams Family on as a kid, first the demo from the CU Amiga disk and then as with most of us I'm sure, a pirated floppy disk of the full game. I'd love to see the Amiga version 'complete' one day
Old 16 June 2023, 19:50   #115
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

[necro]
Still waiting to somebody to hack the parallax back
Old 16 June 2023, 20:14   #116
sokolovic

At least it should be doable in an AGA port considering the front Playfield is probably 15 colours like the ST version.
Old 16 June 2023, 21:01   #117
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The game really doesn't need it, the black background makes the foreground elements pop out perfectly. That's where your eyes need to be in this fast paced game.
Old 17 June 2023, 10:51   #118
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The game feels unfinished and empty without the parallax.
Old 17 June 2023, 11:00   #119
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
[necro]
Still waiting to somebody to hack the parallax back
Hear! Hear!
Old 17 June 2023, 11:10   #120
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The game feels unfinished and empty without the parallax.
Yes it's empty. I mean a hundred screens, a huge amount of enemies, music in every room, huge bosses, tons of secrets, minor switch hunting puzzle elements, every room filled to the brim with traps to evade and pickups to collect, non-linear levels and progression...

Empty indeed. Practically a demo.