English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2018, 22:49   #1
dommer

Using A500 KS:2 to translate Textcraft Docs to MS-DOS ASCII

Hello all!

I believe I had an account at one point and now I can't see it. Oh well.

For the past year I have been in a predicament that I can only explain as complicated. Last year, this month, I had purchased my first ever amiga. I saw them in the Library as a kid and have had a warm spot for them pretty much ever since, but as of last year I have been an owner (I'm 24). Upon becoming an owner, the previous owner requested I get his sermons off of some disks and sent to him ASAP. Well, I think I'm closer, but I need some validation for my theory ATP.

So, yesterday I got an Amiga A500 (the previous amiga is an A2000) and it is pretty well kitted out. Kickstart 2.0, a hard drive sidecar with AmigaOS 2 installed, a 4mb ram expansion, and a second floppy drive. The whole machine is pretty well kitted out and has some hard drive space left, so now I need to work on these sermons if at all possible.

The general plan is to get blank disks, format them to MS-DOS in A-OS 2.05, save from textcraft in ascii format to the disks, and then email the data that is extracted.

Does this make sense? Would it work like this? My original plan was to get my A2000 to KS 3.1, still will, and get another 2 drives for the full 4, but I've been running into issues getting the Gotek that I got to play nice with the 3.5 inch drive that is in the A2000 already. Its all a rather large pain in my ass, and I don't want to ignore the process any longer.

Side question: Can I fish the 60mb drive out of the sidecar and plop a 15GB drive I have spare into it? It would be amazing if I could.

Thanks, hopefully someone can help!
Old 10 June 2018, 23:23   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

in AmigaOS 2: go into Devs: or Storage: and click pc0: or pc1: if you have external drive to mount it.

then copy the files to a pre formated 720kb M$-DOS disk.
Old 11 June 2018, 06:34   #3
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommer View Post
So, yesterday I got an Amiga A500 (the previous amiga is an A2000) and it is pretty well kitted out. Kickstart 2.0, a hard drive sidecar with AmigaOS 2 installed, a 4mb ram expansion, and a second floppy drive. The whole machine is pretty well kitted out and has some hard drive space left, so now I need to work on these sermons if at all possible.

The general plan is to get blank disks, format them to MS-DOS in A-OS 2.05, save from textcraft in ascii format to the disks, and then email the data that is extracted.
Well check the files on the PC first to see what is inside? The Amiga has the latin-1 character set, like Windows does, but the line endings are lf instead of cr/lf. You should check and convert it into something that is easy to view on the recipient's current computer.

Also it's a good idea to format the disks in a PC instead of an Amiga (however you need an older version of Windows to get 720k, unless you use Linux, where it should still be supported just fine). Sometimes the PC is more reliable when formatting.

One good option is also a null modem cable and Amiga Explorer. That way you don't have to mess around with disks.

Quote:
Side question: Can I fish the 60mb drive out of the sidecar and plop a 15GB drive I have spare into it? It would be amazing if I could.
What hard drive controller do you have in the A500?
Old 11 June 2018, 10:32   #4
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
in AmigaOS 2: go into Devs: or Storage: and click pc0: or pc1: if you have external drive to mount it.

then copy the files to a pre formated 720kb M$-DOS disk.
I think CrossDOS was only included with 2.1 and later.