English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.IRC

Old 09 July 2005, 18:48   #1
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
IRC free discussion?

Hi,

I have been meaning to write this post for a couple of weeks but kept on forgetting.

Could somebody please clarify if the discussion on IRC is open to any topic. I had always been led to believe that it was, and although I can't see a specific topic about it here, RCK's message on the IRC sticky thread on this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK
no op & no ban here, open-mind concept
seemed to confirm so.

A couple of weeks ago though I was chatting to a few people on the IRC channel and the discussion did make it's way into a political subject. Nothing distressing was said but an EAB mod who happened to sign on to the channel informed us that we should stop as it was against the rules, and I just wanted it clarified what the rules (if any) actually are as it ended up causing a bit of tension with the mod, which wasn't anyone's aim.

Cheers
Old 09 July 2005, 21:44   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

That was me, and that day I was in a bit of a mood and didn't want to read/discuss politics..

I believe now that it is open to any discussion as long as it remains peaceful and doesn't become over-heated etc..

RCK can confirm this for definate!
Old 10 July 2005, 19:06   #3
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
That was me, and that day I was in a bit of a mood and didn't want to read/discuss politics..
Therefore you thought it was correct to abuse the powers given to you as a mod and silence some IRC users...
Old 10 July 2005, 23:18   #4
Marcuz

i've been op for some minutes the last year, when i logged in the channel while it was being shutted and no one was online. it was embarassing. i can't stand the corruption with its allure. lovable feeling.
Old 11 July 2005, 00:40   #5
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

/me sets mode +kb on marco ... lol :P
Old 11 July 2005, 03:12   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Therefore you thought it was correct to abuse the powers given to you as a mod and silence some IRC users...
No actually.. I wasn't 100% certain of the IRC rules and assumed them to generally be similar to those of the EAB.

Also I wasn't an OP then, so was abusing no powers!
Old 11 July 2005, 13:56   #7
RCK
Administrator

Actually IRC have no rules, it's just a facility for live chat.
Now we got operators, and they should kick anyone who's putting shit, that's all
Old 11 July 2005, 14:46   #8
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
'putting shit' being what though, RCK?

Do you mean someone who is, say, pasting the same line of text 30 times, or just someone pressing a discussion that the op doesn't favour, or signing on as Fred

Bippy, I didn't give names in the thread as it wasn't really important who it was, I was wnted to have it clarified what the rules were to save any disagreement at a later date.

Hope you're having a better day now, here is a picture of some donkeys to cheer you up

Old 11 July 2005, 16:10   #9
Peanutuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK
Actually IRC have no rules, it's just a facility for live chat.
Now we got operators, and they should kick anyone who's putting shit, that's all
Yes, exactly what is "putting shit"? Or is it down to an operator's sole discretion? If there are no rules isn't this going to be problematic?

In all the years I've been on the IRC I can't recall this happening more than twice when people have just childlessly spamed the channel with nonsense characters. and there have been operators there the entire time, what's changed?

Not good news.

Last edited by Peanutuk; 11 July 2005 at 16:25.
Old 11 July 2005, 17:02   #10
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Why are you all still making an issue out of all this? Notice the big smiley next to rck's comment? If the ops think there's a troublemaker they will get dealt with appropriately. But pretty much anything goes in there, and nothing has changed!
Old 11 July 2005, 18:37   #11
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle
signing on as Fred
yeah let's give the blame to someone else! Freckle is known to be responsible of the most disturbing, morbid, etichally debatable and chimps-related topics on irc!

Btw, i agree with Belgarath
Old 11 July 2005, 19:24   #12
Freckle
I like hats

I'm sorry Belg, but I don't really agree, (and you know I don't like to disagree with you )

I wasn't 'still making an issue' out of it, but the whole reason that I posted this topic was because a misunderstanding had occurred and I thought that a clarification of the rules would be beneficial. RCK's answer was rather ambiguous, smiley face or not, and as I didn't know what his 'putting shit' was actually referring to I thought it handy to have a little clarification on the matter.

As an op you say that pretty much anything goes in there, which is fair enough, all I was asking for was to be told one way or another.
Old 11 July 2005, 19:47   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think anything that remains civil is okay, if anyone starts trolling/shit stirring or winding other users up then they will be kicked/banned etc..
Old 11 July 2005, 19:47   #14
Peanutuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
..nothing has changed!
Good news.

Although I notice a disturbing increase in "oh! why are you all making such a big deal? why are you whining?" type responses.

Because it pisses people off that's why. Sort it out please.
Old 11 July 2005, 23:21   #15
RCK
Administrator

In my opinion:
- IRC has been opened for live Amiga discussion
- Only a few number of people is using it
- Chitchat is okay

Now operators are there because I trust their judgment, and if another superfrog comes and destroy the channel, he will be kicked.