English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 04 December 2019, 23:25   #1
S0ulA55a551n

Network speed and Disk speed

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for utilities for testing real life xfer speeds of both file xfer , and also the same for network xfer speed.

Thanks
Old 05 December 2019, 11:27   #2
patrik

DiskSpeed tests via filesystem, so it is the actual speed applications on your Amiga can achieve, no raw device read numbers like say SysInfo or RSCP will present. It is very thorough and tests different buffer sizes, memory types, alignment and cpu load.

The negative thing with that is that you won’t get one simple number, but on the other hand measuring IO performance is not that one dimensional. If you want it that way, just pick the highest number you see =).

For local network speed measurements I usually use ttcp as that is available on all platforms so I can test against a non-Amiga computer so the other end is not a bottleneck of any kind. Also it is a test which does not involve disk IO like say a http or ftp download test would where the disk IO might affect the result greatly.

Last edited by patrik; 05 December 2019 at 11:35. Reason: ttcp
Old 05 December 2019, 20:18   #3
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
DiskSpeed tests via filesystem, so it is the actual speed applications on your Amiga can achieve, no raw device read numbers like say SysInfo or RSCP will present. It is very thorough and tests different buffer sizes, memory types, alignment and cpu load.

The negative thing with that is that you won’t get one simple number, but on the other hand measuring IO performance is not that one dimensional. If you want it that way, just pick the highest number you see =).

For local network speed measurements I usually use ttcp as that is available on all platforms so I can test against a non-Amiga computer so the other end is not a bottleneck of any kind. Also it is a test which does not involve disk IO like say a http or ftp download test would where the disk IO might affect the result greatly.

Thanks , all sounds spot on for my needs