English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 January 2012, 18:14   #1
dex
Eat Electric Death

What are the best "Super Hang On" like games? (every system and generation)

Do you know of some games like "Super Hang On" on the Amiga where you drive a motorcycle in 3rd person with scaling sprites (fake 3D)? What are the best? I don't really like Road Rash so besides that one I am interested in all of them as long as they are 3rd person and are sprite-based 2D engines

Let's just say a "Lotus" quality game with bikes

Oh and if it's on the Amiga it would be even better... but I am afraid I know all of them on this system.

Thanks (I just know you guys know some...)
Old 07 January 2012, 18:47   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

try Enduro Racer for Atari ST: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 January 2012, 18:50   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 January 2012, 18:50   #4
fryguy

I only remember RVF Honda (Amiga), don't know if it was good though.
Old 07 January 2012, 18:58   #5
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Amig Prime Mover was possibly most lotus like.
Old 07 January 2012, 19:11   #6
dex
Eat Electric Death

Oh yes, more answers please

I tried Prime Mover, well if the controls were any better this one would be great but... oh well

Enduro Racer looks ok as well and Super Cycle sounds nice hehe... xD
Old 07 January 2012, 19:29   #7
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Amig Prime Mover was possibly most lotus like.
Yes,I like it!
Old 07 January 2012, 21:33   #8
Vollldo

@dex : man man man rush to play "black viper" !!!

Superb soundtrack, very fast animation and good gfx, superb speed n perspective effect.
And the game itself is a real classic, in a "mad max" environment style.
I love the multiple ways to finish it too, like in "out run".
I dont know if i am the only one to find is really great but i think it is one of the best IF NOT THE BEST moto game on the amiga !!!

You can't leave the joypad lol !

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Vollldo; 07 January 2012 at 21:53.

Old 07 January 2012, 22:19   #9
frikilokooo

Black Viper is closer to a shoot'em up than a driving game in my opinion,there are no any driving abilities involved in the game.
Old 07 January 2012, 23:03   #10
dex
Eat Electric Death

Mmmmmh yes, I completely forgot that one. There are two versions, are there any differences? Which version is better, the CD32 version or the standard version? Better question would be "which has the better soundtrack" I guess xD I hope the ECS version... ah mods...

@frikilokooo: a lot of mixed opinions about it, I hope it's at least as good as Super Hang On, though
Old 07 January 2012, 23:07   #11
Vollldo

@frikilokooo :

dex didn't mention a restriction . It is a really great 3d scaling sprites moto game, it can't be missed. And i am not totally agree with you besides. Yes you can shoot in black viper, but if you don't drive corretly and react very fastly you won't last a long time (and i precise that i am very far to have two "left hands" lol). I would add that there are no much more driving ability in Lotus II too, the car almost don't stop when you hurt something, contrarily to Lotus I. The difficulty is in the tricky timings, not in driving. And it doesnt prevent Lotus II to be a true classic !

@dex : It is not the same style as super hang-on cause it is not a pure driving game and more "action oriented" one. But no one complains with "chase hq" for example hey . The technical aspect is better than super-hang on (cd32 ost is of course better but i tried the floppy version on my A1200 and believe me, the ost is perfect and very catchy). The main differences are in fact the CGI scenes between the races.

On Amstrad CPC, you have "Grand prix 500" too (known too as "GP 500"). Very good memories, and it can be played in two players mode (vertical split screen).

Last edited by Vollldo; 07 January 2012 at 23:25.

Old 07 January 2012, 23:27   #12
dex
Eat Electric Death

Thanks Vollldo Judging by the Youtube vids I watched both soundtracks are quite cool, I do like the disk versions better because it's pure mod music (oh yeah) and you don't have that rendered intro in the beginning - it's all pixel art except for some rendered stills So I am really excited for that one now

Nice CPC suggestion, I am not very fond of that cockpit style interface, though, hmm... (can you even say cockpit when you ride a superbike?!? xD)

But I still need some more suggestions please, keep it coming
Old 08 January 2012, 01:31   #13
Titler
Zone Friend

Amiga Power ended it's run with the complete motorcycle game "No Second Prize" on the cover; they always said it was incredible, but alas my copy never ran on my A500 at the time, so I never got to try it....

YouTube video with that all important disk drive loading noise!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 January 2012, 01:41   #14
s2325
Zone Friend

slideshow: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 January 2012, 02:25   #15
dex
Eat Electric Death

Damn that engine's fast Does it have a 3rd person view of the bike? Hehe, nice slideshow by the way... xD
Old 08 January 2012, 03:36   #16
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Damn that engine's fast Does it have a 3rd person view of the bike? Hehe, nice slideshow by the way... xD
It does, but only in the action replays; you can't alas race in 3rd person.

Incidentally, the Sega Master System got a tiny conversion of the original Hang On on one of those wee little cards too, which if you fancy some simple fun may be worth trying under emulation! :P

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 January 2012, 04:28   #17
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Combo Racer
Harley Davidson: The road to Sturgis
Old 08 January 2012, 10:28   #18
frikilokooo

Red Zone is the best bike simulator in my opinion but it has a few flaws that put it behind of No Second Prize: the game requires a powerful Amiga to run smooth and the collisions with opponents are annoying.
Old 08 January 2012, 11:17   #19
Vollldo

Is Red Zone is smooth enougth a standard A1200 ? I never tried this one since thr reviews were terrible concerning the frame rate.

But you raised my curiosity thanks ! I am going to try it if you confirm that the game is smooth enougth so.

@dex n titler : even if 'no second prize' is not based on 3d scaling sprites, YOU HAVE TO TRY IT if you never did. Totally IN-CRE-DI-BLE game, technically and concerning the gameplay.

Old 08 January 2012, 11:41   #20
frikilokooo

Red Zone is smooth on my Blizzard 030/50mhz setting on very low detail,it can be played in 3ºperson view and overscan and with joystick.On the negative side a very poor presentation,no save feature and what I have said before.Anyway I feel a little better No Second Price in overall.