English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 August 2016, 17:24   #101
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
@meynaf; just out of interest. What is the "magic" key if only using the 1 button version; couldn't see anything in the "gauntlet.readme" file?
It's like in the ST version. Wait a while in the title screen and you should see all keys.

Anyway, if there is more Gauntlet OT, please post that in another thread. Here it's about Karateka
Old 10 August 2016, 17:28   #102
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
It's like in the ST version. Wait a while in the title screen and you should see all keys.

Anyway, if there is more Gauntlet OT, please post that in another thread. Here it's about Karateka
Yup, sorry.
Old 10 August 2016, 17:31   #103
s2325
Zone Friend

Falling from cliff need level change sound from Dynamite Dux.
Old 10 August 2016, 18:05   #104
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Oh no, silly me... A guy asked for 2 button support long ago, i did it, gave him the new version but never updated the one on my site...
Now it's done.
Gauntlet's 2nd button works fine now with an unmodified Sega controller. Thanks. I wouldn't think it would need much more to make Gauntlet not need the keyboard for the menu.

Quote:
Woops. Sorry. Maybe we need punch=button 1 and kick=button 2 for Karateka .
Old 10 August 2016, 19:38   #105
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Maybe we need punch=button 1 and kick=button 2 for Karateka .
...now that would be cool
Old 10 August 2016, 20:06   #106
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Woops. Sorry. Maybe we need punch=button 1 and kick=button 2 for Karateka .
I thought about this. But Karateka has 3 punches, 3 kicks and a few other commands.
In addition the input system is everything but friendly.
Old 21 December 2016, 15:28   #107
AmigaBill

Quote:
I thought about this. But Karateka has 3 punches, 3 kicks and a few other commands.
In addition the input system is everything but friendly.
Meynaf! Thank you so much for doing this port. I have been playing it on my A1200. Karateka is one of my all-time favorites. I grew up playing it on my Apple IIe. It was also the game that gave me my first on-line experience. ***spoiler alert*** At the end of the game I couldn't figure out why the princess was killing me. I went on to Compuserve with my 2400 baud modem and asked the question. Some producer from Hollywood answered it! That is when I learned about the power of communication and being connected to the world with the computer. Ironically Jordan Mechner lived less than 5 minutes from my house and programmed Karateka there. You never know who your neighbors are! I found this out by reading his book "The Making of Karateka" which is excellent and every video game fan will find interesting. He also wrote the Making of Prince of Persia which I have yet to read. Cheers to you for bringing this game to the Amiga
Old 29 April 2020, 19:34   #108
rabidgerry

I was just wondering how I get the meynaf download to work? So far I extracted it to a folder and that's it. No idea how to run. I take it I can run from shell?

Forgive my poor skills on the Amiga, I barely know commands or anything like that. I was able to run the ADF version though using ADF Device but I was thinking perhaps the other way might be quicker? Any info would be grateful.

So far what I have played of this game is amazing. I only ever played it on my cousins ST back in the day and I was so shit at playing it (I was just a kid and was used to playing Atari 2600 games) but I kept coming back for more! Playing this now on the Amiga as an adult I seem to be a lot better at it! Still hard though. I guess what drew me to the game again was the fact I'm playing a lot of Prince of Persia right now and I knew the games were related so just decided to have a look online and see if Karateka ever came on on the Amiga and what do ya know?? I found this thread! So happy it was ported by Meynaf, such amazing job and skills. Thanks for doing that. I might check out the other ports you have done also.
Old 29 April 2020, 21:30   #109
meynaf
son of 68k

You can indeed run it from shell. But you can also run it from WB if you set it to show all files and double-click on its pseudo-icon.
Old 30 April 2020, 00:59   #110
rabidgerry

Quote:
You can indeed run it from shell. But you can also run it from WB if you set it to show all files and double-click on its pseudo-icon.
Weirdly on a different hard drive loaded into win uae double clicking never worked for me. On my real A1200 I just double clicked the karateka icon that is a little spanner and it loaded with no issue. So that's my way in from now on. MAn such great work you've done here. I really enjoy the game. Looks and plays amazingly well on my Machine. Thank you so much.
Old 30 April 2020, 08:35   #111
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I remember seeing the package of this game for the C64 in a local department store, and I could not believe how amazing this looked on the screenshots on its back after being used to Atari VCS and Colecovision games at that time.

Truly a magical time it was..
Old 30 April 2020, 11:06   #112
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I remember seeing the package of this game for the C64 in a local department store, and I could not believe how amazing this looked on the screenshots on its back after being used to Atari VCS and Colecovision games at that time.

Truly a magical time it was..
This might sound sad, but I was playing my Atari 2600 into the early 90's, it was a hand me down birthday present. My brother got the Amiga 500. Funny he also owned the Atari and I got that when he was moving onto an Amiga, and when he he moved onto Playstation I got the Amiga! I was still buying games for the Atari in stores back then too. Then I inherited the Amiga just as commodore was going bust! I was never down with the latest stuff.

And I'm glad!

Anyways, personally I have to say, the game is a lot better than I actually remember. The sprite animation is really good. Very smooth on my A1200. I got an ACA1233n in there so probably helps. I have a feeling this game is going to be short, but I am enjoying it. No idea how it ends and I will try and fight the girl as meynaf suggests

I am able to load game nice and simple by double clicking the meynaf download or the ADF in ImageMount (I knew I had something easier than ADF Device ). Already played for a good few hours since getting it!

Very amazing that someone could bring this to the Amiga having never being done officially!
Old 30 April 2020, 12:06   #113
meynaf
son of 68k

Just remember that fighting the girl is a funny way to actually lose the game.
Old 30 April 2020, 12:24   #114
manossg

Is this excellent port available in adf or lha?
Old 30 April 2020, 14:51   #115
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
go back a few posts and you will find an ADF or the LZX version. LZX being like an lha. Just extract in Dopus or something similar.
Old 30 April 2020, 15:13   #116
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
go back a few posts and you will find an ADF or the LZX version. LZX being like an lha. Just extract in Dopus or something similar.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 30 April 2020, 21:16   #117
rabidgerry

Been playing all day! I swear to god I will get past the fucking gate! Haven't figured it out yet! But I will and hopefully not by looking it up on the web and watching a video!
Old 30 April 2020, 23:01   #118
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
or the ADF in ImageMount (I knew I had something easier than ADF Device ).
Can't you just write the .ADF to a real disk and boot that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=57
Old 30 April 2020, 23:59   #119
manossg

Quote:
I already found it, bro, thanks!
Old 01 May 2020, 16:05   #120
rabidgerry

Quote:
Can't you just write the .ADF to a real disk and boot that?

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=57
I don't have no spares at the moment. It's not very hard to use Imagemount either, just pick the disk once opened and away you go.