English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 January 2010, 15:59   #21
Gona

pictures

Dear meynaf,

Could you make me large pictures about your 1083 monitors for my webpage?
http://gona.atw.hu/Commodore/monitor

Thank you,
Gona

Old 30 January 2010, 18:08   #22
Anemos
70X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gona View Post
Dear meynaf,

Thank you,
Gona
nice collection there
i give you one photo of my D2 of the back.. i can take better shot, but im not right now on my home..

Old 30 January 2010, 23:16   #23
steve_uktv

Question that takes me back, those were the days

i was a field /bench engineer from early 80`s to late 90`s and have dealt with many monitors and tv`s.
My advice on the amiga monitor side of things is to not bother with the repair unless there is a sentimental attachment.
The c.r.t that was used in most monitors around that time where no different from the types used in portable tv`s and were just a television with the i.f sections missing although they cost you more!!
Most tubes (screens) from that time would have faded a long time ago even if never used because shelf life played a part in their downfall.
Philips were most popular and came in many different disguises and were often sold under a different name.
With a note to many other discussions i have read on here concerning the flyback transformer and p.s.u sections i must explain that the F.B Transformer was also known as a line output transformer and was responsible for generating the high voltage to energize the screen.(amongst other things)
These often broke down especially those manufactured by philips because they were very poorly designed.
To change these devices you would have to gain knowledge of soldering and discharging of the crt otherwise you will get a very nasty suprise...the voltages are very high !
The psu was either of a switch mode design or was robust chopper circuitry and on very few occasions are they detached from the main board, knowledge of component level fault diagnosis would be needed.
All semi-conductors used in these models will probably be hard to obtain now but i am sure in the fact that other types can be used in their place and are probably alot more reliable anyway.
Flyback transformers will almost certainly be obselete so forget replacing them.
Capacitors were always a problem within tv or monitors and failed mainly because of the heat generated and/or welded internal contacts etc that were poor from manufacture.
Running an amiga via scart is probably the best idea as discussed since most pc monitors will not display the low hz settings that amiga signals operate at.
There are always exceptions but i believe i am giving good advice, sorry to bore you all but this is a subject i am quite good at !!
Here ends the reading lol
good luck !
Old 31 January 2010, 01:30   #24
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_uktv View Post
i was a field /bench engineer from early 80`s to late 90`s and have dealt with many monitors and tv`s.
My advice on the amiga monitor side of things is to not bother with the repair unless there is a sentimental attachment.
The c.r.t that was used in most monitors around that time where no different from the types used in portable tv`s and were just a television with the i.f sections missing although they cost you more!!
Most tubes (screens) from that time would have faded a long time ago even if never used because shelf life played a part in their downfall.
Philips were most popular and came in many different disguises and were often sold under a different name.
With a note to many other discussions i have read on here concerning the flyback transformer and p.s.u sections i must explain that the F.B Transformer was also known as a line output transformer and was responsible for generating the high voltage to energize the screen.(amongst other things)
These often broke down especially those manufactured by philips because they were very poorly designed.
To change these devices you would have to gain knowledge of soldering and discharging of the crt otherwise you will get a very nasty suprise...the voltages are very high !
The psu was either of a switch mode design or was robust chopper circuitry and on very few occasions are they detached from the main board, knowledge of component level fault diagnosis would be needed.
All semi-conductors used in these models will probably be hard to obtain now but i am sure in the fact that other types can be used in their place and are probably alot more reliable anyway.
Flyback transformers will almost certainly be obselete so forget replacing them.
Capacitors were always a problem within tv or monitors and failed mainly because of the heat generated and/or welded internal contacts etc that were poor from manufacture.
Running an amiga via scart is probably the best idea as discussed since most pc monitors will not display the low hz settings that amiga signals operate at.
There are always exceptions but i believe i am giving good advice, sorry to bore you all but this is a subject i am quite good at !!
Here ends the reading lol
good luck !
The FBT are still available from hrdiemen and most semiconductors can still be sourced.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:53   #25
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gona View Post
Dear meynaf,

Thank you,
Gona
Unfortunately I can't do that. The 1083 is now deep in its grate, and I've got no camera to take the photo. But you don't want a grab of that incredibly yellowed thing, do you ?
Old 05 February 2010, 10:32   #26
meynaf
son of 68k

You were more lucky than me.
My local TV repairmen don't even KNOW that something exists beyond VGA !

1083S-D1 has leaking flyback transformer, and Atari SC1435 has dead PSU. 1083S-P1 has some dead electronic component.
This is all I know.
Old 16 July 2010, 12:26   #27
Hewitson

Wtf?

As others have said, any TV repairman can service one of these. Just tell him its a TV chassis minus the tuner.
Old 17 July 2010, 13:54   #28
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Wtf?

As others have said, any TV repairman can service one of these. Just tell him its a TV chassis minus the tuner.
Apparently we don't live in the same world...

At best they say spare parts can't be found (which is right), at worst they're just no longer doing CRT repairs at all.
Old 17 July 2010, 18:37   #29
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
No, parts are available in too much places, but those guys simply don't want to buy from Internet.

HR Diemen have the Daewoo flyback for sale (the 1083D/1084S-D models), but the price is horrendous, to say the least.
Old 18 July 2010, 05:11   #30
Hewitson

Amazing.

I can think of at least three shops within a five minute drive from here that would be more than happy to help you if you walked in with an old 80's CRT..
Old 19 July 2010, 09:28   #31
meynaf
son of 68k

If one day you come to Lyon (France), take mine

For now, getting another monitor from eBay was cheapest solution and this is what i did.
Old 19 July 2010, 12:43   #32
Hewitson

I''d fix it for you in return for accommodation :P
Old 22 July 2010, 08:51   #33
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I''d fix it for you in return for accommodation :P
I have 3 of them to fix so come in when you want
Old 22 July 2010, 12:22   #34
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Did you see Jarre when he performed his Houston / Lyon concerts and if so, was it any good?
Old 26 July 2010, 10:43   #35
meynaf
son of 68k

Nah, i didn't see him. I'm not usually a guy who goes to concerts.