English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 09 October 2012, 16:19   #1
kipper2k

Idea for internal PS2 mouse adapter -All Amiga models

Hi All,

I was asked by someone if there was a way to have an internal PS2 mouse port set up on an Amiga. I have thought about it and i have a way (i think) to make an easy solder PS2 mouse port that will fit inside ALL Amigas including CD32.

All you would need to do as the end user is do a simple solder job, drill a hole in the case and mount the PS2 connector, meaning that the ps2 mouse plugs directly into the case. All the required circuitry would reside on a small board. If i get the interest i will work on it. Once i start, i don't like to drag it out so would take about 4 weeks to finalise (once i start).

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 09 October 2012, 21:53   #2
Tumo007

Hello kipper2k,

I'm interested. I've got a 600, 4000 and a 4000T

Will you use the schematics for the PS2M adapter on Aminet?

Thanks
Old 09 October 2012, 22:32   #3
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

so this would "reuse" the existing mouse interface, meaning you would need to solder wires to the amiga pcb?
Old 09 October 2012, 23:50   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Could I use an optical mice? And where the hole should go in an A1200?

And (excuse me) any chance of wireless?

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 October 2012 at 00:00.
Old 10 October 2012, 00:27   #5
kipper2k

No wires to solder, i would design the PCB to "surround" the pins on the underside of the board and the PS2 connector itself could be mounted anywhere you want (dependent on length of cable i decide on)

This would not interfere with regular use of the mouse port if you never plugged anything into the PS2 connector. I would use same mouse schematic as my previous mouse interfaces. an optical ps2 mouse can be used.

I'll have to check clearances too

Last edited by kipper2k; 10 October 2012 at 00:35.
Old 10 October 2012, 00:54   #6
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

It would be great if you wouldn't have to remove the PS2 mouse to connect a second Joystick in mouse port.
Sounds like a great idea mate!

It reminds me my first A600 mod @ 2005 where I modded a Cocolino inside lol (next to mouse port)

Old 10 October 2012, 01:16   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What about optical mice, does it work?
Old 10 October 2012, 01:23   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
What about optical mice, does it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
an optical ps2 mouse can be used.
kipper already answered that.
Old 10 October 2012, 04:24   #9
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
It would be great if you wouldn't have to remove the PS2 mouse to connect a second Joystick in mouse port.
Sounds like a great idea mate!

It reminds me my first A600 mod @ 2005 where I modded a Cocolino inside lol (next to mouse port)

I think you have more toys than me Marios
Old 10 October 2012, 06:37   #10
delshay

I said this about 3-4 years a go but, know one seems to care at the time.

Adapter to connect to existing ten pin connector on A1200 motherboard, just add a socket or connect direct to motherboard.

I do believe all A1200 have this soldering pad near mouse/joystick socket.

I for sure will go the other route and fit RF adapter for mouse when I have time.
Old 10 October 2012, 09:46   #11
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
No wires to solder, i would design the PCB to "surround" the pins on the underside of the board and the PS2 connector itself could be mounted anywhere you want (dependent on length of cable i decide on)

This would not interfere with regular use of the mouse port if you never plugged anything into the PS2 connector. I would use same mouse schematic as my previous mouse interfaces. an optical ps2 mouse can be used.

I'll have to check clearances too
I've seen some mod on this forum somewhere where the guy fitted diodes or something to allow you to have joystick connected at same time as PS2 mouse without damaging Amiga. Would def like that.

Also, is it possible or practical to have USB connector for those mice that use PS2 protocol over USB? I know there are adapters but its neater to not have to use them.

One more question - give the high DPI of PC mice these days.. will there be any way to tweak sensitivity so its useable for Amiga?

Anyway, I'm interested.
Old 10 October 2012, 11:44   #12
pandy71

Perhaps low speed software USB host will be better nowadays?

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~qx5k-isk...t/usbhost.html

Instead putting lot of effort in outdated PS2 interface?

Also lot of optical sensors provide X-Y quadrature output so they can be directly connected to Amiga without any additional interface.
Old 10 October 2012, 12:44   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Could it use a wireless mice with somekind of adaptor?
Old 10 October 2012, 13:10   #14
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by delshay View Post
Adapter to connect to existing ten pin connector on A1200 motherboard, just add a socket or connect direct to motherboard.

I do believe all A1200 have this soldering pad near mouse/joystick socket.
well, kipper said that this was for *any* amiga - using the mobo header only works for a1200 (and a600?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k
Hmm... curious to know how that would work and how the pcb will be "fastened" to the mobo
Old 10 October 2012, 14:50   #15
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
well, kipper said that this was for *any* amiga - using the mobo header only works for a1200 (and a600?).

Hmm... curious to know how that would work and how the pcb will be "fastened" to the mobo
It could be made to use an insert for those A1200 mode;s that have the small 10 pin header board, i will look at it.
The fastening to the board is easy, depends on clearance between the lower shield and the bottom of the motherboards. I think worst case scenario would be the dremel, and cutting out a tiny section of the lower shield under the mouseport.
Old 11 October 2012, 08:26   #16
ws1968

Very interested (but I think you expected that from me )

Sign me up for at least two

Cheers!
Quote:
Hi All,

I was asked by someone if there was a way to have an internal PS2 mouse port set up on an Amiga. I have thought about it and i have a way (i think) to make an easy solder PS2 mouse port that will fit inside ALL Amigas including CD32.

All you would need to do as the end user is do a simple solder job, drill a hole in the case and mount the PS2 connector, meaning that the ps2 mouse plugs directly into the case. All the required circuitry would reside on a small board. If i get the interest i will work on it. Once i start, i don't like to drag it out so would take about 4 weeks to finalise (once i start).

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 11 October 2012, 10:18   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
It could be made to use an insert for those A1200 mode;s that have the small 10 pin header board, i will look at it.
The fastening to the board is easy, depends on clearance between the lower shield and the bottom of the motherboards. I think worst case scenario would be the dremel, and cutting out a tiny section of the lower shield under the mouseport.
This all sounds very interesting, but do not forget to ship your other orders as well. You have not responded to my last two mails, but I can see that you are currently active on this forum, so I'm guessing you're not out of town?
Old 11 October 2012, 15:31   #18
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This all sounds very interesting, but do not forget to ship your other orders as well. You have not responded to my last two mails, but I can see that you are currently active on this forum, so I'm guessing you're not out of town?

did you put the order through on Amibay? , i am out of town for 3 weeks too doing jury duty so i cant do anything. All paid for orders have been shipped? . I don't see any msgs from you in my pm on here as of 17 Aug?

Last edited by kipper2k; 11 October 2012 at 15:40.
Old 11 October 2012, 15:50   #19
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
did you put the order through on Amibay? , i am out of town for 3 weeks too doing jury duty so i cant do anything. All paid for orders have been shipped? . I don't see any msgs from you in my pm on here as of 17 Aug?
PM sent.
Old 11 October 2012, 16:44   #20
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Perhaps low speed software USB host will be better nowadays?

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~qx5k-isk...t/usbhost.html

Instead putting lot of effort in outdated PS2 interface?

Also lot of optical sensors provide X-Y quadrature output so they can be directly connected to Amiga without any additional interface.
I can investigate the usb option too, my chinese is not too good lol. I'm assuming that only generic usb mice would be supported. for the size of the schematic it could be coupled with the PS2. There are a lot of PS2 mice still available so i dont think they are outdated. They still work good