English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 June 2003, 11:16   #1
dmrvf

Installed OS 3.9 but.....!!!

I have received my 3.1 roms and 3.9 OS yesterday for my A4000 everything went perfect with the installation and it's a great system. The only problem i face now is the CDrom Mount, I have installed the CDrom driver that says on the CD installation but i get an error message saying that it can not find the atapi.device in port 1 or something. Now my CD Rom doesn't work, Can anyone guide me on how can i mount my CD rom again? Do i have to add anything in the startup-sequence? Some people say that i have to use findCD.

Please help

Old 09 June 2003, 13:12   #2
manicx

Installing the CD-Rom support in OS3.5 and 3.9 can be a pain in the arse. I do have a 4-way IDE adapter. In the installation it asks you wether you have such an adapter. Strangely enough though, the second bus was not recognised. I was ending up with having only my the first IDE socket recognised (my two HDs and not the second)...

This was when I was using the scsi.device. Then I though to use the atapi.device. This worked but had a problem that I experienced in the past and solved when I was using 3.1 and IDEFix97.

So, I though: WTF am I doing? Why don't you install IDEFix97 and enjoy the system. That's what I did and now I have fully supported CD-ROM using scsi.device recognised as unit 2.

Anyway, if someone had a similar problem with installing OS3.5 and a 4-way IDE interface please let me know...

Anyway, can you please let us know if you have an 4-way IDE interface and how's the HD/CD-Rom setup in your A4000?
Old 09 June 2003, 13:18   #3
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

With A4KD, std IDE - 1 HD, 1 CDROM - and using scsi.device, I've had no problems at all with the CDROM drive. Previous to OS3.9, I was using IDEfix.

First thing I'd recomend, if you get any probs with a CDROM or other IDE drive, is install IDEfix.... it works, it gets the job done and you can try it for free! What more could you want?
Old 09 June 2003, 13:45   #4
dmrvf

I have tried IDEfix97 on 3.9 and again it can't mount it. I have installed 3.1 back as it was from my old hard disk and the CD rom works. Is there any specific version of IDEfix i can use?

Syko another question

I have also installed the 4-way IDE IDEFix97 card on my A4K and it can't detect the Hard disk, Is that think really works? it's not buffered it's just a simple IDE port card. It looks so simple to work!!

Please do not use signatures in your posts. Configure UserCP instead. -Admin

Old 09 June 2003, 13:46   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
With A4KD, std IDE - 1 HD, 1 CDROM - and using scsi.device, I've had no problems at all with the CDROM drive. Previous to OS3.9, I was using IDEfix.

First thing I'd recomend, if you get any probs with a CDROM or other IDE drive, is install IDEfix.... it works, it gets the job done and you can try it for free! What more could you want?

In this case IDEfix is the problem, I think, because atapi.device belongs to IDEfix and obviously was not installed. Copy atapi.device from the emergency disk or from your old setup. Or replace the text Device=atapi.device by Device=scsi.device in the CD0 (or EMERGENCY_CD) file.
Old 10 June 2003, 23:19   #6
zaqwsx

Quote:
Originally posted by dmrvf
I have also installed the 4-way IDE IDEFix97 card on my A4K and it can't detect the Hard disk, Is that think really works? it's not buffered it's just a simple IDE port card. It looks so simple to work!!
As far as I know, the A4000 IDE Controller already has a buffer (unlike the A1200) so the 4-way splitter can be much simpler.

I recently decided to build my own 4-way adapter for the A4000 according to a Hardware Hack on Aminet (ftp://de.aminet.net/pub/aminet/hard/hack/4IDE.lha ) and I am extremely happy with the way it works (I needed the IDEfix 97 software to get t to work). This adapter's connections/design is identical to the A4000 "IDEfix '97" hardware by Individual Computers found in the Big Book of Amiga Hardware (http://www.amiga-hardware.com/idefix97.html ). If you study the excellent Pictures there you can trace out all the connections, and they pretty much match the Aminet Hardware Hack that I mentioned above.

I now have an IDE Hard Disk, ZIP250 Drive, CDRom, and LS120 Drive Happily co-existing in my A4000D (this left no room for a Floppy Drive but luckily you can set a Jumper that allows the A4000 to use an external drive as DF0

I HIGHLY recommend the IDEfix'97 Software. I am in the process of trying to pay for and obtain a Registered Copy of this software.

Old 11 June 2003, 14:38   #7
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by zaqwsx
I HIGHLY recommend the IDEfix'97 Software. I am in the process of trying to pay for and obtain a Registered Copy of this software.
Power Computing in the UK used to sell it, might be worth a try: http://www.powerc.com

If you have no luck and can't get an answer from the author, then contact me, I might have a couple of original registered copies lying around...
Old 11 June 2003, 14:47   #8
dmrvf

Thanks a lot Severin

I would like a registered version from you

email me at: dmrvf@yahoo.com

Old 11 June 2003, 16:04   #9
thomas

You can still buy it from here: http://shareit1.element5.com/product...oductid=106332

And you can get a free registration code from www.amigarealm.com (driver for Power Computing 4 Way Buffered IDE controller).