English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 July 2008, 20:12   #21
Hillsy_

One of the best sci-fi series I've seen. Great how we, as the human civilization are defined as children in this vast space and time. And the Shadows and Vorlons as the ancients, our parents in this universe. Some great ideas, and fascinating. Don't bother with the films so much, only 'In the Beginning' for some background info and the war between the Minbari & Humans. The series is where its' at, watch it you will be pleasantly surprised.

Agree @whiteb - Great series, people really need to see it to understand what we all mean.

Some episodes you can watch again and again, really good stuff. But you have to watch it from the beginning to the end.

Series 3 and 4 our probably my favourites. Some great moments in them.
Old 01 August 2008, 10:29   #22
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
I have to admit i was a fan, and enjoyed it very much. I thought series 1 and 2 was done on Amigas with lightwave. weren't the English Amiga Mags shouting about this ?
Old 01 August 2008, 11:01   #23
NovaCoder

I love BB5, last year I got all the series on box sets cheap
Old 01 August 2008, 19:50   #24
Cammy

Babylon 5 is one of the best Sci Fi series ever! The first season is a bit slow, but you have to get through it because the rest is awesome.
Old 01 August 2008, 23:57   #25
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Babylon 5 was awesome, I was gutted when the game got shelved, .
Old 03 August 2008, 02:41   #26
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
B5 was amazing for it's time considering the low budget and the CG in later seasons was extremely well done. The B5 movies I didn't like much except for In the Beginning.
Old 03 August 2008, 05:01   #27
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I really didn't like the show much but have a friend that gets very upset it i say anything negotive about it - some people love it so i'm guessing i'm missing the point
Old 03 August 2008, 19:57   #28
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
I really didn't like the show much but have a friend that gets very upset it i say anything negotive about it - some people love it so i'm guessing i'm missing the point
It's like fans of Stargate SG1 or Atlantis. I found the original movie ok, but the series I just never had much interest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Well, 1st season at start is sometime boring, but even 1st season of StarTrek TNG and Star Trek DS9 are boring!!! :P
I didn't think TNG or DS9 would make it to a 2nd season considering how bad they were in the beginning.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 03 August 2008 at 23:00. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 03 August 2008, 22:13   #29
musojon74

BB5 is fantastic!! I bought the Amazon.co.uk set with all movies, all seasons, Crusade etc. Brilliant, though it does start slow. Gets really dark and interesting though, and yes you need to go through it all from the beginning to get all the story I think. DS9 did indeed look awful, but improved hugely I thought.
Old 03 August 2008, 23:59   #30
Cammy

I have on DVD, and have watched all of Babylon 5, Star Trek DS9, Farscape, Firefly, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica (Classic and Remake), Buck Rogers, The X-Files, and I've seen all or most of Doctor Who, ST:TNG, ST:Voyager, and a bunch of other scifi shows. Out of all of these, I like Farscape the most, but Babylon 5 is a really slose second. Far more than any other show I've seen, the characters develop, mature and evolve. The whole plot was masterminded by a genius (J. Michael Straczynski, one of my favourite comic book writers), not just thrown together episode by episode to see where it goes. JMS planned out the entire history of his Babylon 5 galaxy in advance, and stuck to his plan, that's why the show changes so much through each season, instead of just staying in the same place forever, (like the Stargate series). In the first season, there isn't much happening yet, but we get to know all the characters and all the pieces are laid out for what happens later on. Then the war begins, and you're in for some of the best space battles ever seen, almost as good as the final Death Star II battle in Return of the Jedi.
Unlike nearly every other show ever made, Babylon 5 hardly has any filler episodes. Every episode is important to the overall story, so if anyone is interested in watching the show, you have to watch every episode and every movie from the start in the correct order. There are websites out there that explain the viewing order, and it's really worth seeing this series if you missed out on it when it was first aired, like I did.
Old 04 August 2008, 00:10   #31
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo View Post
I didn't think TNG or DS9 would make it to a 2nd season considering how bad they were in the beginning.
I didn't like the 1st season that much of TNG but re-visiting it again a few months ago some of the episodes were kind of cool I thought - had that older first gen star trek to them

The only criticism I'd have of the first season was that the characters didn't develop too well and some of the episode scripts were weak.

hmmm B5 was an interesting show although I never really got into it... watched a few episodes - thought the story lines were a bit too political - loved the CGI though...
Old 04 August 2008, 00:43   #32
laffer
Zone Friend

Babylon 5 is a fantastic series, I highly recommend it. Very cool overarching storyline.

It does start a little slow and boring but it gets really good after Season 1.
Old 04 August 2008, 10:34   #33
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Babylon 5 is a fantastic series, I highly recommend it. Very cool overarching storyline.

It does start a little slow and boring but it gets really good after Season 1.

But there are some key episodes in the first series, and anyway, I think to feel the atmosphere and appreciate the later calamaties you need to have come from quiet beginnings.

A bit like Lord of the Rings starting off in the rustic and homely Shire and then descending from there into all sorts of trouble.

There needs to be a journey from harmony to strife, or you'd just have heavy metal.
Old 04 August 2008, 10:43   #34
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo View Post
I agree: the first season of TNG was booooooriiiiing and the fist of DS9 was a little baddy too. Fortunately both series were great later. I liked Defiant more than Entrerprise! "Assimilate This!"
Old 04 August 2008, 11:33   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Anybody else who liked ST: Voyager? No I don't mean only because of seven-of-nine I somehow liked the atmosphere of being far away from known civilization (even if it was a bit weak in most of the episodes).
Old 04 August 2008, 16:03   #36
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Anybody else who liked ST: Voyager? No I don't mean only because of seven-of-nine I somehow liked the atmosphere of being far away from known civilization (even if it was a bit weak in most of the episodes).
I liked it very much!!!! My personal favorite ST series in facts are:

1) Star Trek Voyager
2) Star Trek DS9
3) Star Trek Enterprise
4) Star Trek TNG

I have no included the Original Series (+ Animated) because it's something different as it was made in another age.
Old 05 August 2008, 02:52   #37
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Best thing about Voyager aside from 7 was there were plenty of Borg episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
I liked it very much!!!! My personal favorite ST series in facts are:

1) Star Trek Voyager
2) Star Trek DS9
3) Star Trek Enterprise
4) Star Trek TNG

I have no included the Original Series (+ Animated) because it's something different as it was made in another age.
Once the Dominion were introduced into DS9, it definitely got a lot more interesting. In no other Trek series or movie did we ever get to see battles on the scale of those shown on DS9. Some of work was almost cinematic in quality. Too bad it was before HD.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 05 August 2008 at 09:56. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged - multiquote :)
Old 20 August 2008, 17:10   #38
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Unlike nearly every other show ever made, Babylon 5 hardly has any filler episodes.
I like B5 for this: very few filler episodes!!!! I hate filler episodes!!!
Old 22 August 2008, 04:32   #39
Hillsy_

Wait until series 4 when they have to take on the Shadows. I thought it was great when sheridan says 'Everyone else break and attack' - great stuff.

Babylon 5 is my favourite followed by the original Star Trek series.