English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 July 2022, 00:21   #1
DaveEddie

Help. wiped my CF card

I just installed a new CF hard drive in my 1200. I tried to install Tornado from disk but it said DH0 doesn't exist. All the partitions on the CF were named ADH0,1 and 2. Trying to create a partition called DH0 I seem to have lost everything that came with the hard drive, DOPUS, Install tools .etc. I reinstalled Workbench so it at least boots the hard drive but that's it. So confused. Must be my age. Is there a way to get it all back? Hard drive installation disk or something? I should have left well alone. Idiot!
Old 07 July 2022, 02:48   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEddie View Post
I just installed a new CF hard drive in my 1200. I tried to install Tornado from disk but it said DH0 doesn't exist. All the partitions on the CF were named ADH0,1 and 2. Trying to create a partition called DH0 I seem to have lost everything that came with the hard drive, DOPUS, Install tools .etc. I reinstalled Workbench so it at least boots the hard drive but that's it. So confused. Must be my age. Is there a way to get it all back? Hard drive installation disk or something? I should have left well alone. Idiot!
Sorry Mang! Once deleted it’s gone, like UNIX and LINUX partitions when they are wiped

A lot of the software can be re-installed for free.

As a Noob Your first port of call is a place on the web called Aminet.net

There you can search for software you can download. You still need something called LHA to unpack files;

http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/lha_68k

Dopus can also be downloaded;

http://aminet.net/package/util/dopus/DOpus412JRbin

If you want to recreate a working Workbench with tonnes of tools, demos and games then this might be a better choice;

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 July 2022, 07:53   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEddie View Post
Is there a way to get it all back?
It depends on what you really did.

Editing partitions in HDToolbox does not destroy anything, just undo the changes and everything is back as before.

But you said you created a new partition, formatted it and copyied files to it. That deadly of course. You cannot get back what has been overwritten.

If you only changed ADH0 to DH0, you can probably get back ADH1 and ADH2.

Depending on the file system used and if DH0 is much smaller than ADH0 was, you could even get back parts of ADH0.

It really depends on what you actually did.
Old 07 July 2022, 10:04   #4
dreadnought

You can check out ClassicWB, these are Workbench installs with some stuff already set up and installed.
Old 07 July 2022, 12:43   #5
LIV2
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Sorry Mang! Once deleted it’s gone, like UNIX and LINUX partitions when they are wiped
As others have said this is not the case, just thought I'd let you know that in the case of a deleted Linux/Windows partition you can use tools like testdisk to automatically search for the partitions and recover from this
Old 07 July 2022, 18:15   #6
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2 View Post
As others have said this is not the case, just thought I'd let you know that in the case of a deleted Linux/Windows partition you can use tools like testdisk to automatically search for the partitions and recover from this
Unless if you have already overwritten them like the OP has done Bromigo!
Old 08 July 2022, 19:44   #7
DaveEddie

Thank you all for your replies. I don't have a pcmcia or gotek so I can't download anything. No internet on my amiga. I decided just to get another CF Card from AmigaKit. Won't touch this one. I have ordered a pcmcia though.