English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 November 2011, 16:00   #1
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

HDMI with Amiga?

Hi fellow Amigians,

I`m semi interested in purchasing this HD Convertor unit so that I can hook up my A1200 via HDMI, I`m a little unsure about this so any help or advice regarding this product would be most appreciated. I`m not looking to use Super high resolutions, the main aim is just to have a decent picture for gaming.. The TV I am using at the moment does accept RGB Scart but doesn't do a very job of outputting. Below is a link to the product in question:

http://www.hdgamingpro.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=40

I don`t want to use a Scan Doubler that outputs in VGA because I am unable to adjust the sharpness that way, I prefer the softer/blured look over the Sharp VGA look.

Thanks
Old 17 November 2011, 02:24   #2
roy bates

cant see why it wont work.
Old 17 November 2011, 04:25   #3
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Hi fellow Amigians,

I`m semi interested in purchasing this HD Convertor unit so that I can hook up my A1200 via HDMI....

Thanks
Just wait for a few weeks and you'll be able to do it with the new IndivisionAGA.

Old 17 November 2011, 13:52   #4
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Thanks guys. A new IndivisionAGA? mmmm, If that has HDMI output then i`ll be one happy camper
Old 17 November 2011, 14:39   #5
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I number of us over in the retro folder on RLLMUK (www.rllmukforum.com) looked into these with the purpose of hooking up our retro systems up to our flat screen TVs.

I contacted the MD of the company who was kind enough to send me a unit to test.

My initial (quick write-up):

Quote:
The machine I tested was a region and 50/60hz switchable SNES, and the games I tested were Mario Allstars with Super Mario World (PAL) and Super Ghouls n Ghosts (NTSC).

I wasn't sure how I was expecting the upscaler to output the image. If I plug my SNES straight into the plasma the picture is VERY blocky, but not in a good way. The blocks are slightly mis-shapen, and it doesn't look very good at all.

With the upscaler the image is output in a smoothed fashion, a bit like one of the filters you often get on retro game compilations. My initial feeling is that it's nowhere near as a good as the picture on a CRT, but it 'is' better than the picture I was getting when plugging the SNES directly into the TV.

I also tested firing 50 and 60hz feeds into the system. I'll try out some other systems, but initial results indicate that this unit is only really meant to have a 60hz feed into it. With 50hz the scrolling is VERY jerky indeed.

If I plugged my SNES directly into my TV and scrolled left or right, I'd get a weird slightly out of kilter line every so often (sort of like how MAME sometimes displays on some settings). This has thankfully completely gone with the upscaler, but I did notice a very VERY tiny pause in the scrolling every 10 seconds or so. It's hard to explain this, but if you've seen one of those cheap DVD players where the image 'chugs' it's a bit like that, but only every 10 seconds or so. Compared to the horrible scanline it's a million times better.

I'll give further systems a test and will also give a full lowdown of the specs of the unit as and when I get more time.
I started putting a basic web site together showing the unit and how it outputs from various systems, but only got as far as the SNES and Gamecube:

http://www.jabba.demon.co.uk/coosis/

I personally didn't think the picture improved enough to warrant getting it. Also, unless you had a 60hz image going into the box the image would jerk horrible when scrolled.
Old 17 November 2011, 15:05   #6
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
I also tested firing 50 and 60hz feeds into the system. I'll try out some other systems, but initial results indicate that this unit is only really meant to have a 60hz feed into it. With 50hz the scrolling is VERY jerky indeed.
Just checked out your link. Thanks for bringing this to my attention roberthazelby, this review and analysis has helped a lot, it`s a real shame that the 50hz support is so badly implemented.. On the plus side I think you just saved me £99

Now I just need to be patient for the IndivsionAGA...