English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 January 2014, 19:45   #1
Sandro
Banned

putty squad is not being sucessful

putty squad is not having a good reception compared to Amiga magazines in 1994/1995 where received above 90%
now is getting only 3/10
check here some PS4 reviews

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/739300-putty-squad/critic
Old 04 January 2014, 19:52   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Not surprised, today's players are used to play another games.
Old 04 January 2014, 20:07   #3
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It's the PS4-version, I bet they haven't played it on an Amiga
Old 04 January 2014, 20:20   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Game may be confusing for younger gamers, you need to learn about possible moves and items.
Old 04 January 2014, 20:22   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

As much credit as System 3 deserves for finally releasing the Amiga version for free, Putty Squad for the PS4 is a budget title... Putting it as a release title for the price of a full game might explain the scores it gets. It simply doesn't hold up against other platformers that aren't even 'next gen'. Have a look at the newer Rayman games and you can see why Putty Squad gets those scores. As a 5 quid downloadable it's a good game, but this way...
Old 04 January 2014, 22:04   #6
Gordon
Settler

With my amiga head on I would give it a 7 out of 10. I much prefer the original putty. More colurful, funnier enemies and i found the concept of getting the bots to the spaceship alot better than collect all the putties and go to exit door.
Old 05 January 2014, 02:56   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
putty squad is not having a good reception compared to Amiga magazines in 1994/1995 where received above 90%
- It's 2014
- It's a PS4 game

This is obvious! Compare it to any other of the games on the PS4 lineu and realize what's wrong. If I was System 3 I would have released this version on iOS instead!

Also, I don't agree it's a full price title, as it costs about 20 quid, whereas a full price title would go for about 60.
Old 05 January 2014, 12:30   #8
jman

Aside the price issue (which I agree), most reviews are concerned about bad controls implementation.

Can anyone support this?
Old 05 January 2014, 12:54   #9
Paul_s

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Not surprised, today's players are used to play another games.
I agree.

Putty Squad is from another time and place... a place where gaming was fun.

Unfortunetly majority of todays gamers are about 3D shoot em ups and 'numbers' i.e. hardware performance.

Quote:
Putty Squad looks better than its earlier contemporary, but it in no way pushes the PS4.
I rest my case.
Old 05 January 2014, 20:57   #10
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
With my amiga head on I would give it a 7 out of 10. I much prefer the original putty. More colurful, funnier enemies and i found the concept of getting the bots to the spaceship alot better than collect all the putties and go to exit door.
the original putty the game not scroll left-right you can go only up down
also lacks music, however the SNES version yes it have music
anyways putty squad is superior to the original putty I think
Old 05 January 2014, 21:48   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Whilst I can accept that Putty Squad on the PS4 is not a great game to everyone, I think the quote Paul s used sums it all up "but it in no way pushes the PS4".

Why does it have to push the PS4? Did Tetris push the Gameboy? Did Super Mario Kart push the SNES?

Since when have we gone from playability that should be the deciding factor, to an over reliance on the 'Psygnosis factor'?

I liked Shadow of the Beast on Amiga, it pushed the Amiga, most people appreciate the effort it made, but don't remember it fondness as a game other than its technical achievement.

Rather sad really, that if a game isn't pushing the hardware then it has nothing to offer!

No wonder the likes of IOS and Android are doing so well for some games developers with that kind of mentality.
Old 05 January 2014, 22:08   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Did Super Mario Kart push the SNES?
In a certain way it did: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/super...-graphics-soun

While it's fair to say that the graphics shouldn't matter, there's certainly some point to the 'not pushing' bit here. I mean, it wouldn't push the PS2 either...
Old 05 January 2014, 23:22   #13
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Rather sad really, that if a game isn't pushing the hardware then it has nothing to offer!
I agree. But things have changed a bit and hopefully will change more.
In the Pc-world the "indie" scene made people rediscover what it is like to have fun without the fan of your GPU throttling at 3000 rpm.
Probably the console-world - and some of its reviewers - are still a bit behind, still gripping to the warm feeling of life-like graphics.

I understand that those who put an effort into this feel unfair.

Quote:
In a certain way [Super Mario Kart] it did: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/super...-graphics-soun
IMHO "Super Mario Kart" did not "push" the SNES hardware limits, it surpassed them thanks to the SuperFX chip. Some might argue that that's cheating ;-)
Old 06 January 2014, 00:04   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
IMHO "Super Mario Kart" did not "push" the SNES hardware limits, it surpassed them thanks to the SuperFX chip. Some might argue that that's cheating ;-)
IMHO either way it's not the best example when you want to compare it to the position of Putty Squad on the PS4

While remakes are nice and all, time moved on and so did platform games. I think that the Putty Squad remake isn't bad at all, but it lacks if you compare it to Rayman Origins that is 13 quid regular on Steam. For under a tenner it's okay, but still not really 'wow' material. 3 or 4 out of 10 might be too harsh, but it doesn't hold up to recent platform games if you take a closer look.
Old 06 January 2014, 00:06   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

In my eyes, it is always a plus if games are able to push the hardware to the limits for some eye candy, but eye candy is only optional, good gameplay is mandatory. One doesn't have to exclude the other.

I have several games on my Steam account where gameplay is the only thing they can deliver. That doesn't mean I can't spend many hours with them.

I do expect games with low hardware demands to be cheap though.
Old 06 January 2014, 00:15   #16
Amiga1992

I agree that the game has not dated well. Sure, see it in the Amiga and it's still cool, but I have to say playing it today on my Amiga did not have as much impact as it could have had 20 years ago.

Also as TCD says the competition is fierce. He puts Rayman as an example which is an incredible fun and polished game with proper oldschool gaming vibes.
iOS is a much more forgiving platform too and one with a userbase more our age I guess, so this kinda production works better there. I really don't understand why they chose PS4 as a platform for release, any of the new consoles is a tough one to chose now for a small-ish developer.
Old 06 January 2014, 00:26   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I agree that the game has not dated well. Sure, see it in the Amiga and it's still cool, but I have to say playing it today on my Amiga did not have as much impact as it could have had 20 years ago.

Also as TCD says the competition is fierce. He puts Rayman as an example which is an incredible fun and polished game with proper oldschool gaming vibes.
iOS is a much more forgiving platform too and one with a userbase more our age I guess, so this kinda production works better there. I really don't understand why they chose PS4 as a platform for release, any of the new consoles is a tough one to chose now for a small-ish developer.
Its clear they did PS4 first as it was one of the first releases for the system, so its likely to get sales on that criteria alone. If you bought COD:Ghosts or a couple of other big name titles on PS3, you can get the PS4 version as a download very cheaply, so if you want something different, there's not much out for the machine.
Old 06 January 2014, 00:28   #18
jman

Quote:
Don't forget that also you are different from the Akira of 20 years ago ;-)

Quote:
I really don't understand why they chose PS4 as a platform for release, any of the new consoles is a tough one to chose now for a small-ish developer.
I think that System3 is trying to squeeze the most out of it and they are striving to stay relevant in this harsh business. Games for a new platform benefit from little competition... supporting many platforms enlarge your potential audience...
Old 06 January 2014, 06:24   #19
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>Its clear they did PS4 first as it was one of the first releases for the system, so its likely to get sales on that criteria alone.

Yes, to my knowledge it's the first decent PS4 game. However, if the graphics are as poor as on the Amiga version it's no wonder it is getting bad reviews. Also it's overpriced of course, 20 quid is a full-price game, not a budget game.
Old 06 January 2014, 09:57   #20
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
£20 really a full price Game? I don't agree release top titles are usually £45+