English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 01 June 2010, 21:44   #1
Leandro Jardim

Hooooo Another scanlines effect

Hi, I am again here to give another suggestion for WinUAE, the BEST emulator around...

1º Not lose the definition of the scan lines effect when the Amiga output is resized. Its good the ways it is, but this way is more realistic

2º NTSC filter, maybe like the one Nestopia uses, or better...

3º Simple Amiga output resizing, like the way its done on other emulators (output centered on screen with automatic enlarging).

For Toni: Sorry, I give so many suggestions, but the case is that I like UAE very much. The feature I most like of UAE is the AGA graphics. My dream when teenager was ever to have a shinning new AGA machine. Like you may suppose, this not happened... Yet!

Bye.
Old 01 June 2010, 22:01   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: use D3D scanlines. "Native" scanlines suck.

2: NTSC? Bleh. Point me to GPL compatible source and I'll think about it.

3: autoscale in filter panels does it but note that it is impossible to find real display start and end in some progrrams (no other 8/16-bit console or home computer works like Amiga.. and most Amiga games HAVE borders when running on real thing!)
Old 01 June 2010, 22:43   #3
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

On the NTSC filter point - NES NTSC filter is useless for Amiga emulation because NES NTSC filter is designed to emulate the NES's quirky NTSC output, whereas the Amiga outputs a properly-timed NTSC signal when transcoded from RGB to NTSC - this would require a "generic" NTSC filter that works based on the spec.

That being said, Toni, the console NTSC filter libraries are LGPL, home page is here. Perhaps they can be used as a starting point for a more generic NTSC filter? I have to admit, it would be kinda cool to see true NTSC artifacts in WinUAE (chroma crawl, rainbowing, etc), possibly with an optional notch filter (as seen in many quality Y/C genlocks).
Old 26 June 2010, 12:49   #4
Hewitson

Agree with your first paragraph, but the effects you speak of are not exclusive to NTSC video at all.. They will occur on any video source utilising a chroma signal.
Old 27 June 2010, 02:39   #5
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

A chroma signal that is modulated into the same cable as the luma signal, of course. They don't appear on Y/C signals, obviously. My point is, NTSC artifacting looks different from PAL artifacting, at least from my (limited) experience examining interlaced PAL material and my (somewhat more extensive) experience examining interlaced NTSC material. Plus, PAL has things that NTSC doesn't (like the vertical mixing of chroma, NTSC does not have this whatsoever). I'm not as well versed in the deep technical knowledge required to exactly quantify the differences, but I do know that composite PAL has a distinct look from composite NTSC (and not just the frame rate, because in my examinations I played back the PAL video at 60Hz because I was viewing it on an LCD monitor).
Old 27 June 2010, 06:30   #6
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalH View Post
A chroma signal that is modulated into the same cable as the luma signal, of course. They don't appear on Y/C signals, obviously.
Yes they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalH
My point is, NTSC artifacting looks different from PAL artifacting, at least from my (limited) experience examining interlaced PAL material and my (somewhat more extensive) experience examining interlaced NTSC material. Plus, PAL has things that NTSC doesn't (like the vertical mixing of chroma, NTSC does not have this whatsoever). I'm not as well versed in the deep technical knowledge required to exactly quantify the differences, but I do know that composite PAL has a distinct look from composite NTSC (and not just the frame rate, because in my examinations I played back the PAL video at 60Hz because I was viewing it on an LCD monitor).
That is correct. But my point was that the "NTSC artifacts" you mentioned in your previous post are common to both NTSC and PAL (and probably SECAM, too).
Old 27 June 2010, 19:37   #7
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Yes they do.
I've never seen crosstalk and rainbowing on a properly-sourced Y/C signal. Low chroma resolution, sure (since the C in Y/C is just the composite chroma signal pre-modulation).