Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 September 2017, 17:11   #341
FutureComet

A new version of FF-HxC Editor is available

v0.3: http://beam.to/FFHxCEditor

Have fun...

Old 02 September 2017, 16:00   #342
Higgy

FutureComet - thanks for new version, and listening to feedback from users.

kaffer - I now have my latest Gotek (now flashed with F-F) and 0.91" OLED display arrive. This is intended for Amstrad 6128 testing.

Question
-
I don't use pullups on my 2x 1602 modules as the resistance measured between VCC-SDA = 4.7K Ohms & VCC-SCL = 4.7K Ohms.
On the OLED display I have, the resistance measured is 42K Ohms between VCC-SDA & again 42K Ohms on VCC-SCL.
Do I need pullups? I am thinking not because the resistance is already high.

Edit - I have added a PCB pic. Looking on the back there are 4.7K Ohm resistors (472 SMD's) and I guess some other component has a high resistance to make the 42K Ohm total measured.

Details of the display says it can accept 3.3v ~ 5v

Thanks

Last edited by Higgy; 03 September 2017 at 08:44. Reason: A bit of text formatting
Old 02 September 2017, 17:57   #343
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
And I will support IBM-MFM sector images (called variously ST/IMG/DSK depending on the machine) in the near future too.
(Mr Burns voice) Excellent Good news!
Old 03 September 2017, 09:55   #344
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
kaffer - I now have my latest Gotek (now flashed with F-F) and 0.91" OLED display arrive. This is intended for Amstrad 6128 testing.

Question
-
I don't use pullups on my 2x 1602 modules as the resistance measured between VCC-SDA = 4.7K Ohms & VCC-SCL = 4.7K Ohms.
On the OLED display I have, the resistance measured is 42K Ohms between VCC-SDA & again 42K Ohms on VCC-SCL.
Do I need pullups? I am thinking not because the resistance is already high.
42K is likely too high for an I2C pullup at 400kHz, you will probably have to add pullups. I did on my OLED board. But you could always try without and see if it works.

EDIT: Kingstener has pointed out that the 4K7 pullups are present and correct, they're just connected behind the onboard voltage regulator. So you're measuring additional resistance through the regulator. No pullups required

Last edited by Keir; 03 September 2017 at 21:13.
Old 03 September 2017, 10:02   #345
Higgy

l was getting confused, I thought the pullups were to correct the supply voltage to the displays:

1602 - 5v
OLED - 3.3v to 5v

I see it is more to do with signal noise? The PCB does have 4.7K Ohm resistors on it. But you are saying I need to add some more?
Thanks
Old 03 September 2017, 10:06   #346
Keir

Quote:
l was getting confused, I thought the pullups were to correct the supply voltage to the displays:

1602 - 5v
OLED - 3.3v to 5v

I see it is more to do with signal noise? The PCB does have 4.7K Ohm resistors on it. But you are saying I need to add some more?
Thanks
It is not to do with the supply voltage level nor signal noise:
The I2C bus is open collector, means that the signal lines (CLK/DAT) are only actively driven low to 0V. A high level is achieved via pull-up resistors. With no resistors the signal lines will float and give unpredictable results. Resistor too low: outputs will be unable to drive the lines low enough quick enough. Resistor too high: pullups cannot pull the lines high enough quick enough.

Hence 4.7K is chosen as about right
Old 03 September 2017, 10:15   #347
Higgy

Cheers.
I will try and have a go today, toddler permitting!
I will probably use the normal segment display header as that outputs 3.3v and all my wires can be the same length!

I think I will hold off cutting the Gotek display and just try the narrower font to start with.
I have a Gotek HxC in my main Amstrad 6128 and I think Jeff is just starting OLED support but there seems to be a few displays/resolutions he is playing with. I was just planning on swapping out the HxC Gotek PCB for the F-F Gotek PCB for now.
Old 03 September 2017, 10:27   #348
Keir

Quote:
Cheers.
I will try and have a go today, toddler permitting!
I will probably use the normal segment display header as that outputs 3.3v and all my wires can be the same length!
I hadn't actually thought about trying the 3.3V supply for OLED display. You're right it probably should work and does make the wiring neater as all connections are then on the original LED display's header.

If you do that you probably ought to pull SCL/SDA up to 3.3V instead of 5V but likely to work fine either way.
Old 03 September 2017, 12:30   #349
Fook42

@Higgy, kaffer..

i have the same OLED-Modules (3x) here and they are working great without any additional pull-ups and can be connected directly to the original headers with the 3.3v supply - you can reuse the original cables and the only modification to the gotek-case is the larger display-cutout..

so just try - it works fine.

(thanks again kaffer - i like your work!)
Old 03 September 2017, 13:02   #350
Higgy

@Fook42 - I just got my OLED fitted and tested on the Amiga.
I added resistors directly to the headers on the OLED. I had them so might as well fit.
I am using the normal Gotek display headers too (3.3v).

One thing for people to note, the SDA and SCL communication lines are the other day around on the OLED pcb. I have a moulded plug on my 1602 displays so I needed to rig up some additional wires to swap them around to test. Don't worry you wont break the display if they are the wrong way around
Old 03 September 2017, 14:43   #351
Higgy

@kaffer - it's not Amiga so I can email or PM if preferred.

I got it running on my Amstrad 'Config-Less Mode' is working, although I don't think you have yet implemented accessing sub-folders yet (I will be excellent when its done) so everything is dumped in top-level.

I can't get 'Slot Mode' to work. Not sure which HXCSDFE.CFG file I should be using. I have tried the 'AMIGA one' and one generated by HxCFloppyEmulator v2.1.6.0 and an earlier version which was already on my Amstrad Gotek USB.
I can scroll through the 15 slots which I allocated via Autoboot but I get 'Drive A: disc missing'.

Under 'Modes of Operation' instructions on Github, in 'Slot Mode' you might want to mention again that: 'This mode requires an AUTOBOOT.HFE image compatible with your system, and a relevant HXCSDFE.CFG file' I know you have it written above, but I was not sure if I needed it for non-AMIGA applications.

I can see Config-Less mode being the best on Amstrad. Autoboot limits you to only 15 Slots and with a well organised USB stick and a LCD/OLED screen it will be very slick to access everything 'on-the-fly'

Thanks

Last edited by Higgy; 03 September 2017 at 22:31. Reason: i made a typo. i initially said i was trying 'Index Mode' really i was trying 'Slot Mode'
Old 03 September 2017, 15:56   #352
Fook42

this is, how i connected the 0.91" OLED

no pullups.. no extra cables.. just turn the old cables 90degrees and thats it

Last edited by Fook42; 03 September 2023 at 21:29.
Old 03 September 2017, 17:35   #353
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post

This is terrific,works a treat !, when will end ! LoL

Last edited by supaduper; 03 September 2017 at 18:23.
Old 03 September 2017, 18:18   #354
Keir

Quote:

That is handy, I will check it on my own OLED display! May I use your pictures in the FlashFloppy documentation?
Old 03 September 2017, 20:43   #355
Jackoland

sorry for total noob question.

I flashed my gotek with the FF 0.1 it works great.

i want to update to latest firmware. My gotek is now back in my amiga.

am i right in thinking i can now put the UPD file on empty USB drive and turn amiga on whilst holding the gotek two buttons together and it will update to latest firmware?

do i need to add the programming jumpers?
also what is the bootloader and do i need to update that too?

cheers

i have read the read me files but did quite get the answers.

cheers
rich
Old 03 September 2017, 20:46   #356
ch40s_engineer

correct, holding down both buttons, then releasing them as soon as you see "upd" will do the trick
Old 03 September 2017, 21:12   #357
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackoland View Post
do i need to add the programming jumpers?
also what is the bootloader and do i need to update that too?
You do not need the programming jumpers, and you do not need to update the bootloader. Just put the main UPD file on USB stick and power up with both Gotek buttons pressed.
Old 03 September 2017, 21:15   #358
Keir

Quote:

Brilliant works here too. I will update the docs
Old 03 September 2017, 22:15   #359
Keir

Quote:
I can't get 'Index Mode' to work. Not sure which HXCSDFE.CFG file I should be using. I have tried the 'AMIGA one' and one generated by HxCFloppyEmulator v2.1.6.0 and an earlier version which was already on my Amstrad Gotek USB.
I can scroll through the 15 slots which I allocated via Autoboot but I get 'Drive A: disc missing'.
You can use the HXCSDFE.CFG under Config/Index_Mode/ in the FlashFloppy distribution. This of course does not need an AUTOBOOT.HFE image, and all your images should be called DSKA0000.HFE and so on.
Old 03 September 2017, 22:29   #360
Higgy

Kaffer - sorry I made a typo. I am trying Slot Mode.
I will edit my earlier post.