English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 16 May 2010, 22:49   #1
robheaton
Amazing Bloke!

Valuation Needed: CD32 + Paravision SX-1

Hi All,

I need some advice on the value of some Amiga hardware.
The owner isn't sure what it's worth, nor am I, but I'm looking to buy it from him. (The current owner is a friend of mine, and I have no wish to rip him off!)

I have been offered the following;

Amiga CD32 Console
Original PSU
1 Controller
Scart Cable
Paravision SX-1 Expansion
4MB Fast RAM
Suitable PC PSU
Suitable PC Keyboard

Can anyone offer advice on what this is worth?
Many Thanks,
Rob.

P.S. I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Old 18 May 2010, 03:23   #2
amiman99

This is the long answer: The value on old stuff always depends on the person who is willing to pay for it. There are few types of people, some think is junk and want to trash it or give it away, some know how much is worth and only sell for that price. And of course there are people between. Another factor I have noticed that the value is determined on location, let say Amiga 600 in UK if far worth less then in USA.

The short answer: If your friend is happy with $100 or give it to him (I'm sorry, I don't have key for UK Pound)

So, to be fair to your friend, just ask your self how much you are willing to pay for it.

I have been buying from EBay since 99, so If I see item I like/want, I just ask myself the above question.

Good luck.
Old 18 May 2010, 07:19   #3
Paul_s

I would say around £130 for everything. The console is not worth more than £35...
Old 18 May 2010, 08:01   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

It really is only worth it if you are a CD32 fanatic. He could sell the SX-1 on ebay for more than you would spend on an a1200 (in the UK) which is a much easier to expand machine.

The cd32 with SX-1 is pretty much as high as you could go, but with a 1200 you could always add bits and pieces later.

If you already have a sweet 1200 and have always wanted a nice cd32 then go for it. Paul's price sounds pretty reasonable if not a little high.
Old 18 May 2010, 08:41   #5
robheaton
Amazing Bloke!

Thanks for the replies!
I just didn't want to offer my friend something like £100 and later find out everything was worth double that!

Cheers,
Rob.
Old 18 May 2010, 11:41   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Paravision SX-1 is not that sought after because it sticks out the back of the CD32 like a huge lump.

If it had been an SX32 which fits internally then we'd be talking much more.
Old 18 May 2010, 13:22   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hiyas Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by robheaton View Post
Thanks for the replies!
I just didn't want to offer my friend something like £100 and later find out everything was worth double that!

Cheers,
Rob.
Please understand I mean no disrespect or insult, but if he is your friend, and these items dont mean that much to you then whats this "worth double that"

As others have said an items worth is only what you are willing to sell it for and what another is willing to buy it for... these do meet but mostly a compromise is created (a point of sale).

If you are afraid of "loosing out" then I suggest that you re-evaluate what that collection of kit is worth to you.

You could use eBay, however this only denotes the price of an item by its want of two or more people. I have seen trends and shifts go crazy on eBay, with 030 accelerator cards swinging quite violently in prices so you take your chance on there...

Theres no garauntee you will get what its worth to you.

I would suggest you pick a figure and or trade items that you are comfy with.

good luck
Old 18 May 2010, 19:41   #8
robheaton
Amazing Bloke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Hiyas Rob
Please understand I mean no disrespect or insult, but if he is your friend, and these items dont mean that much to you then whats this "worth double that"

Hi Zetro,
I just wanted to pay the right price, not rip off my friend, nor get ripped off myself.

Cheers for the advice!
Old 19 May 2010, 02:26   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

no worries, I was just a little confused thats all..

I would also suggest part-trades, part items and part cash.... its good for the soul =)

lets hope your friend has somthing you would like... although its probably gone a little to far if you start bartering family members or live stock. =)
Old 20 May 2010, 08:54   #10
robheaton
Amazing Bloke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
although its probably gone a little to far if you start bartering family members or live stock. =)
Well I do have plenty of worms and ants in the garden.
Can't hurt to try my luck!
Old 06 December 2017, 06:12   #11
flnettles

Cd-32 + sx-1

In 2017, these prices are insanely low. In the US, a CD32 goes for around $350-$450. The SX-1 (if you can find one) brings around $600 or so. If it's a friend selling, offer him $800 or so, and see if he takes it. (I know, this thread is from 2010 but I'm just sayin') If your looking on Ebay expect the above prices.

Old 06 December 2017, 09:31   #12
Amigajay

Yeah 5-6 years ago you could pick up CD32s for £30-£35! Lucky to get one under £150 now! Sx1 units will start to fall in price now TF cards are out.
Old 06 December 2017, 15:47   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnettles View Post
In the US, a CD32 goes for around $350-$450.
"US" being the keyword here.
Prices in the US for Commodore/Amiga stuff are ridiculous.
In Europe prices are a lot more reasonable.

I think you can still find CD32s for between 50/70 Euros, if you don't use collector bait sites like eBay. Amibay is a good source.

Importing from Europe is what one should do in this case. Do not go for stupid US prices. Shipping and all it always ends up being cheaper bringing stuff from EU.

The SX-1 has pretty much always been expensive and still is today, though, as it is a rare expansion.
Old 06 December 2017, 16:29   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If anything the prices of CD32's should have come DOWN as hundreds if not thousands of NTSC units have since hit the street having been kept in a warehouse in ASIA and forgotten.

The SX-1 is now IMO worth less than a TF328 + Riser (i.e. less than £75)
Old 06 December 2017, 16:59   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
For users like us, sure, because the TF328+riser usability far surpasses that of an SX-1 and at a fraction of the price. But collectors do not think that way, and will keep ramping up SX-1 prices 'til they get tired.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:15   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But they sit OUTSIDE the CD32 making them crap. They were poor before value for money and now they are terrible.

Even more so when someone starts 3D printing the covers for the TF328+RISER
Old 06 December 2017, 18:51   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
But they sit OUTSIDE the CD32 making them crap. They were poor before value for money and now they are terrible.
Again, this point of view is fair for you and me who actually -use- the CD32, collectors don't care.
Probably the main reason I never even considered going for an SX-1 is exactly that, I cannot stand something protruding out the back in the way it does.

But "OMG IT'S R@RE I MUST HAVE IT" is all that matters to the people who drive the price of this kinda thing up.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:53   #18
Amigajay

Quote:

Even more so when someone starts 3D printing the covers for the TF328+RISER
Well in 1994 they were appreciated that’s for sure! Yes they sit outside and stick out like a sore thumb but it’s the only device that allowed the FMV card to used at the same time which was great at the time, not needed nowadays of course, still worth £200 imo or so as they have more connectors than TF cards.
Old 12 December 2017, 13:47   #19
mikele

Quote:
If anything the prices of CD32's should have come DOWN as hundreds if not thousands of NTSC units have since hit the street having been kept in a warehouse in ASIA and forgotten.

Strangely they appear on Swedish auction sites. Last Sunday New Old Stock CD32 was sold for about 300 euros. Someone must have acces to these mythical Asian warehouses. Earlier they were sold as "Buy it now". Once they popped up on Aliexpress for decent price per unit, but someone probably bought out the entire stock.