Zone Friend

New Beast on the Block

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelat...p?topic=2344.0
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelat...p?topic=2343.0
Old 10 January 2009, 21:44   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Some really nice ideas and/or edits there Cool find s2325
Maybe someone decides to make a remake with the new GFX.
Old 11 January 2009, 04:33   #3
laffer
Zone Friend

Very cool links, thanks! Interesting to read them debating the graphics and techniques used in the game as well (the second link).
Old 11 January 2009, 09:14   #4
Pyromania

Still love those damn games, bought all three way back when.
Old 11 January 2009, 09:36   #5
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Some of those retouches are gorgeous.
Old 11 January 2009, 12:27   #6
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Some of those retouches are gorgeous.
Indeed. Very nice graphics. Pitty some pictures are no longer available on the image tags

Stumbled
Old 11 January 2009, 12:32   #7
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
they should have more respect for the original artist though, cause he didn't have multi GHz beasts and graphic boards these kids have ...
Old 11 January 2009, 12:37   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, they forgot that. Also some of new versions have different atmosphere than original. One example: http://www.foolstown.com/misc/beast.gif for me original is "mad beast from dark woods" but "remake" is "happy retard will catch you".

Last edited by s2325; 11 January 2009 at 12:43.
Old 11 January 2009, 12:46   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The second thread really shows a lack of respect for the original work. In the first thread they at least point out that they use all the new gadgets that are available.
Old 11 January 2009, 13:16   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Great find, stumbled
Old 11 January 2009, 13:20   #11
coze

is there are possibility of a beast remake with some sprites from these guys ?
Old 11 January 2009, 13:32   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

We can ask gimbal if he's interested after his LN2 remake. On the other hand he might not be interested at all
Old 11 January 2009, 14:08   #13
coze

I think beast engine shouldn't be too hard to code. move the sprite, check collision, etc ... artwork was the harder part probably.
Old 11 January 2009, 22:34   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

meh, not enough challenge tech wise, but more than enough challenge in making an actual GAME out of it in stead of a tech demo
Old 11 January 2009, 23:13   #15
Marcuz

i think the 2nd thread is also cool (i have not read it all) as it ponts out some neat trick of design, for instance the use of the palettes...

anyway some art there is great! i love pixel art, but i'm helpless at it! that's very cool and very specific use of graphic design
Old 12 January 2009, 08:42   #16
humble worm

Quote:
they should have more respect for the original artist though, cause he didn't have multi GHz beasts and graphic boards these kids have ...
on some polish pixel art board I saw young guys attacking a demo scene veteran - they were claiming that his works shouldnt have been posted there as they were not true pixelart (because of some features Dpaint allegedly has - auto aa or something) - there was pretty big flame I tell you
Old 13 January 2009, 11:48   #17
sharprm

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
on some polish pixel art board I saw young guys attacking a demo scene veteran - they were claiming that his works shouldnt have been posted there as they were not true pixelart (because of some features Dpaint allegedly has - auto aa or something) - there was pretty big flame I tell you
Some pixel art people are fundamentalist type retarded. Instead of thinking of pixel art as an aesthetic or 'end', they have a narrow definition of pixel art based on the method or 'means'. That is, pixel art is "each pixel being placed by hand". So they can ignore the end (sometimes awesome art) and potentially insult the artist and feel justified in doing so because he/she "used dirty tricks to get to the end".

No game will come out of that thread. Although Helm mentions indie scene, its just an excuse to add highlights and anatomy and give each other high fives. No-one made a full mockup so there is no guarantee that those sprites could form part of an aesthetically pleasing game with atmosphere. The codification and refinement was assumed, not proved.

>>Yes, they forgot that. Also some of new versions have different >>atmosphere than original. One example: >>http://www.foolstown.com/misc/beast.gif for me original is "mad beast >>from dark woods" but "remake" is "happy retard will catch you".

Fool's stuff is great though - check out his website.

>>hey should have more respect for the original artist though, cause he >>didn't have multi GHz beasts and graphic boards these kids have ...

Pixel programs such as graphics gale have less features than deluxe paint. I don't think its the limitations of machines that limited the art creation. "graphic boards" probably help alot ... but also games like "chaos engine" that have come out since SOTB. SOTB2 had better graphics anyway.
Old 14 January 2009, 06:14   #18
sharprm

Playing around a bit ... thought I'd share it (not only to show off ) but to back up earlier point - the 'refinement' is assumed and not proved. The following is a picture with high saturation/dark backdrop that better feels like Karamoon. Next to it is the low saturation backdrop with high saturation foreground. The latter would work for these "refinements" but lacks atmosphere. The former requires sprites which lack the value range (ie. dark bits) to work, which was criticised. Although this doesn't prove that SOTB or SOTB2 can't be improved on.

I think the Pixelation discussion and challenge did not pay attention to overall design, which is very important when u actually try and make a game. Some people did mentioned the point though:

"In the games that Psygnosis released during this era, including Sotb 1 and 2, Ork... and several more, the fact that the foreground was less saturated than the parallax background constituted to a feeling of otherworldliness, which I still find quite unique and.. kind of spooky, exciting." jj naas

"I noticed when I did my put high contrast sprite remake over one of the actual SotB backgrounds that large parts of it disappeared. All the sprites in the game are drawn with colours from the upper half of the palette. This is an interesting reversal of high contrast sprites on low contrast backgrounds." lackey
Old 14 January 2009, 06:21   #19
laffer
Zone Friend

Nice! You even put the box art monster from Beast 2 in there
Old 14 January 2009, 15:24   #20
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharprm View Post
Playing around a bit ... thought I'd share it (not only to show off ) but to back up earlier point - the 'refinement' is assumed and not proved. The following is a picture with high saturation/dark backdrop that better feels like Karamoon. Next to it is the low saturation backdrop with high saturation foreground. The latter would work for these "refinements" but lacks atmosphere. The former requires sprites which lack the value range (ie. dark bits) to work, which was criticised. Although this doesn't prove that SOTB or SOTB2 can't be improved on.

I think the Pixelation discussion and challenge did not pay attention to overall design, which is very important when u actually try and make a game. Some people did mentioned the point though:

"In the games that Psygnosis released during this era, including Sotb 1 and 2, Ork... and several more, the fact that the foreground was less saturated than the parallax background constituted to a feeling of otherworldliness, which I still find quite unique and.. kind of spooky, exciting." jj naas

"I noticed when I did my put high contrast sprite remake over one of the actual SotB backgrounds that large parts of it disappeared. All the sprites in the game are drawn with colours from the upper half of the palette. This is an interesting reversal of high contrast sprites on low contrast backgrounds." lackey
coolness and great comment!