English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 July 2018, 09:58   #1
Stratplayer

Backing up original games

Can a original game be backed up to adf ? I want to get a few of my old favourite games on floppy so I can run them on a standard a1200 but how long will they last. Can I take a image of them incase the disk corrupts. I used to back up my originals to disk but lost my collection in a house move.
Old 17 July 2018, 10:31   #2
ptyerman

You can but will need the hardware to do it. Your options are the Kryoflux and the Super-Card Pro, both will read almost any disk format, not just Amiga and will also write them back to floppy.
Old 17 July 2018, 12:44   #3
Stratplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
You can but will need the hardware to do it. Your options are the Kryoflux and the Super-Card Pro, both will read almost any disk format, not just Amiga and will also write them back to floppy.
Thanks for that info, I was only going to buy a few games on disk but I just tried a few of the disks I do have and the floppy just clicks so I will ask in the hardware section and upload a vid to try and find out whats wrong with it.
Old 17 July 2018, 13:02   #4
ptyerman

A common fault with the floppy drives that happens a lot because of their age is the capacitor failing that's on the motor PCB. 99% of the time replacing it gets the drive working again, you will need to be quite adept at soldering though to do it as they are quite small!
There's a few threads on the matter in the hardware section if you want to look them up.
Old 17 July 2018, 13:07   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
You can but will need the hardware to do it.

That's not entirely correct. If the game doesn't use any special disk format/protection tracks it's easily possible to create backup copies/images without any hardware at all, tools such as DIC (from the WHDLoad package) or Thomas Rapp's excellent TSGui can be used then.
Old 17 July 2018, 13:14   #6
ptyerman

Of course, that's just stating the obvious. The poster mentioned he wanted to back up some "original" games, most of which had on-disk protection of some sort. Some could even be copied with software after some trial and error, or by using a Cyclone dongle, but now the hardware is available to copy them for sure why not utilise it? Specially if you're going to be copying a lot!
Old 17 July 2018, 13:16   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Of course, that's just stating the obvious.

It doesn't make your statement any less incorrect!

Quote:
The poster mentioned he wanted to back up some "original" games, most of which had on-disk protection of some sort.

So you know exactly which games he has in his possession? Not bad...
Old 17 July 2018, 13:33   #8
ptyerman

Stop trolling! I am not going to pollute this thread discussing semantics with you! Your attempts at starting a argument will not work here so move along.
Old 17 July 2018, 13:40   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Stop trolling!

Excellent way to discuss! I only see one person "trolling" here and it's definitely not me! Anyway, feel free to give more helpful advices and don't ever listen to others (yes, they are all trolling) pointing out that what you have written isn't correct.