English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 17 August 2016, 22:59   #1961
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Mulholland Drive... I don't like the movies that are not supposed to make logical sense, it just becomes a slideshow of events then where fans get to pretend they secretly get it. Apparently this movie is one gigantic seek & find puzzle to be able to get the clue about what is real and what is not and what happens in which order, requiring several viewings. Well screw that, I just let IMDB tell me what's up.
i like am movie that leaves me thinking about it for days afterwards, straightforward literal stories i usually find quite boring. Unless they are remarkable for some other aspect, like good design work &c, like the Andromeda Strain (the original not the remake!) with its weird technologies and sets
Old 18 August 2016, 14:24   #1962
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i like am movie that leaves me thinking about it for days afterwards, straightforward literal stories i usually find quite boring. Unless they are remarkable for some other aspect, like good design work &c, like the Andromeda Strain (the original not the remake!) with its weird technologies and sets
So, have you seen Atlas Cloud? Wonder what you think about that one...

Ol' Georgie is still ma fav... (so much look a like ) great Hugo Weaving performance...

Old 18 August 2016, 20:47   #1963
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I like those movies too. Lynch does not apply
Old 18 August 2016, 21:58   #1964
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
So, have you seen Atlas Cloud? Wonder what you think about that one...
i have not, but i shall look out for it, the next time i am in the second-hand shop.

i also like the work of Terry Gilliam.

and of course, good old Stanley Kubrick.
Old 18 August 2016, 22:11   #1965
Leffmann

I can recommend Cloud Atlas. It's very good, but you have to watch it twice to put it all together sort of. It's also very long, close to 4 hours IIRC.
Old 18 August 2016, 22:34   #1966
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

4 hours, ain't nobody got time for that. unless there's an intermission. then you can have ice cream.

speaking of which...
Old 19 August 2016, 09:10   #1967
jmmijo

Who doesn't love Dr. Strangelove and Major Kong, Slim Pickens stole the movie
Old 19 August 2016, 15:16   #1968
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
4 hours, ain't nobody got time for that. unless there's an intermission. then you can have ice cream.

speaking of which...
In my opinion, you can pause movie at ANY time... but probably will not want to. I made mistake, started watching it late, ended up wantching it to end. Then I ended up re-watching it couple of times, as I just could not believe how many actors I did not recognize in different time frames of the movie. Connection of everything is just mind blowing...

There are repeated roles each of main actors did through the movie... The Wachowskis at their best IMHO...
Old 19 August 2016, 17:43   #1969
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

the only thing i've seen of the Wachowskis is the Matrix 1 & 2, i thought 1 was quite good, but didn't bother seeing 3 because 2 was so bad.
Old 19 August 2016, 18:47   #1970
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Wow, so you've no idea what happened to Neo and rest of the crew?!

Cloud Atlas is different kind of movie, and being long (thankfully), you don't have hated 'it will continue', nor you have boredom of making a 3 x 2+ hour movies from 100-200 pages book, like we had with Hobbit.
Old 19 August 2016, 19:18   #1971
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

yeah i really didn't like The Hobbit, even the action scenes were boring, not because they weren't action enough but because they were all pretty much the same and went on too long, like watching someone play a computer game (sometimes quite badly)
Old 28 August 2016, 17:46   #1972
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Star Trek: Beyond

If there is one thing I have to complain about the new movies its that they lack story, but this iteration is yet again a bigger spectacle than the previous two with incredible world designs that are a feast for the eye. With each new movie it starts to look more and more like Mass Effect: the movie.

This iteration around Kirk and Spock get to just be secondary characters really, the big stars of the movie are Scotty, Bones and a cool looking new alien girl whom I hope returns for a possible next movie; the rest just dangle there a bit to crack a joke or two. Sulu arguably is the third runner up, he gets to prove he could be captain material in the future.

Refreshing choice to push Spock a little to the background, I must say. Simon Pegg (Scotty) and Karl Urban (Bones) really get to show that they've mastered their characters. All in all - best of the three? I think yes. Also: renewed respect for the Beasty Boys.

7.5/10

And now for something totally different: 50 Shades of Grey hit Netflix so I just had to see it to see how bad it really is.

All I have to say is: wtf are people talking about? I was expecting something that pushed boundaries yet it is a massively weak movie; Basic Instinct is more explicit than this mess. The worst part is that the first half of the movie I actually was entertained; some decent chemistry between the main characters even as they court each other. And then the play room is introduced and clothes come off and the movie just... collapses. The acting turns to utter shit, each and every second becomes really awkward to watch and the entire thing is just utterly retarded. Grey is like a friggin' wooden robot, what a dire and unrealistic character.

The only way this could have gone anywhere is with two incredibly strong actors who can make you believe their characters are real; what is there does not even come close. Its Twilight for adults.

1.5/10
Old 03 September 2016, 20:36   #1973
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Suicide Squad!

Remember when we liked movies just because they were cool? Welcome back to those days.

This movie has been hated on so much that I went in expecting the worst. Pleasant surprise, what I saw was was a stylish feast for the eyes and ears - this movie has a soundtrack that is just epic. It oozes so much fun that you get grabbed by the ears and shaken around till you're giddy and dizzy. This is one spectacular character-feast with bombastic presentation.

... for about an hour, and then for some stupid reason the movie turns into a standard boring guys shooting bullets movie. The coolness just disappears. Poof. Just some characters with lots of potential, walking through the streets. That is where the movie ultimately tanks. It starts out massively strong so much so that it got my hopes up to the heavens, and then it drops you back down to earth with an anvil tied to your legs. The three biggest flaws:

1. Will Smith as Deadshot. Sorry, this guy cannot play a bad guy for the life of him. You've sunk quite deep when Jai Courtney outperforms you - and he does, his Captain Boomerang is quite entertaining if not a bit underused.

2. The real bad guy (no not the Joker). They're basically fighting the mummy. Of all the bad guys that could have been picked, this is just the complete worst! Even Mr Freeze would have been better.

3. this takes place in the DC universe. Actually fecking show something from the DC universe other than in very brief flashes. This movie should have taken place in Arkham Asylum, although I now hope they save that for a Batman VS Joker movie.

But to hell with that, I had fun even if the movie takes a big dip. Worth seeing on the big screen, most definitely. 7.5/10, need more DC stuff and hope they ramp up the effort. The DC universe definitely has potential to become far more interesting than the Marvel universe, there's just a better designed world to be used - if they actually go ahead and use it! And yes, the joker is really cool. I'm okay with him being less of a presence in this movie (although its not as bad as people say - he's in there plenty). It is an introduction to what is to come in future movies to wet the appetite. Want more!
Old 06 September 2016, 04:47   #1974
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Thank you for slap review, Mr. Gray... I mean gimbal. Even you think Suicide Squad is worth watching in movie theater, I know I will see it from RedBox or premium channel TV. (not due to missing lust for movies, but rather due to my current mobility situation)

Speaking of movies, watched with my kids (11 and 7 year old) Back to the Future I and II. Kids love it - classic movie, fun jokes, lots of bad language for today's standards, but yet kids did not have an issue with it. My kid was later tonight just talking about movie and how cool it was. (Both of the are bit disappointed that we don't have flying cards or hoverboards yet) Doe to school starting tomorrow, we will watch third part on Friday. (they can't wait )

I have also seen Rise of the Legend and The Fifth Wave. First was martial art flick, with SAmmo Kam-Bo Hung as villan. Classic story of orphan's revenge and very predictable, yet satisfying action that is very well filmed. 7/10
On the other hand, single post is too small to mark everything wrong with The 5th Wave. Let's not go there - avoid at all cost... 3/10
Old 07 September 2016, 13:50   #1975
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Did any of you guys watch The Babadook ~ Mister Babadook (2014) ?
it's a mix between a psychological thriller and a family drama, intricate and realistic to some extend. Some sections are a bit over the top after the pervasive mother goes bonkers, but the iconography is top notch, absolutely superb given the small budget. As a bonus, the AD/HD (presumably) affected child is not too annoying (I am thinking Child's Play high pitch affected screaming here), I mean he is insufferable all right but it serves well the purpose of this film, and one can't help to root for the poor lad (or maybe I should have known better about the disturbance such tormented kid should be accounted for IRL ).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 07 September 2016 at 19:06.
Old 11 September 2016, 17:49   #1976
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hummingbird, AKA Redemption.

Even though a Jason Statham movie its not a typical Statham movie. It sports relatively little action and a few drops of humor here and there and is otherwise a pretty bleak character driven thing taking place right smack in the middle of London.

The characters themselves don't make very much sense to be honest, but they're so wonky that the movie becomes entertaining anyway and the acting makes up for the rest. It just never got boring so definitely worth a watch.

6.9/10.
Old 07 November 2016, 18:09   #1977
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I watched You're next (2013) a few days ago. Didn't like it much in the beginning, but then it gets better with the vicious traps, gory "finish him" style murders, and survival/tactical aspects depicted.

Oh, and don't watch the evil dead remake, mostly boring movie featuring lame CGI
(plus, it shouldn't have been advertized as a remake).

PS : by posting the above comment, I just salvaged this whole thread from oblivion haha.
Old 07 November 2016, 20:59   #1978
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Oh, and don't watch the evil dead remake, mostly boring movie featuring lame CGI
(plus, it shouldn't have been advertized as a remake).
Well it was "okay", quite loud. Do watch Ash VS the Evil Dead the TV show, that one is more how it should be. A bit tame for Evil Dead standards, but still good.
Old 12 November 2016, 18:07   #1979
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Doctor Strange

Magic enters the Marvel cinematic universe.

If there is one thing I can say about this movie it is: see it in 3D. This is the ultimate 3D sales pitch, the movie loses half its appeal without it. I had a "WOW!" moment again, its been a long time.

I'm not going to say too much about it; its bloody good on its own and looks stunning but its 99% CGI. But good CGI, the kind that carries the movie rather than make it soulless. Its also a bit too long, near the end it started to drag. That also has a second reason: they made Doctor Strange way too strong. In the end so strong that its ludicrous. I can already see that a bad guy in the inevitable sequel is going to steal his powers.

Who needs the Avengers when you have dudes flinging magic everywhere, anyway? I hope they keep Doctor Strange in his own little niche, but the credit sequence already proved otherwise.

7.5/10
Old 13 November 2016, 01:24   #1980
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Doctor Strange

Magic enters the Marvel cinematic universe.

If there is one thing I can say about this movie it is: see it in 3D. This is the ultimate 3D sales pitch, the movie loses half its appeal without it. I had a "WOW!" moment again, its been a long time.

I'm not going to say too much about it; its bloody good on its own and looks stunning but its 99% CGI. But good CGI, the kind that carries the movie rather than make it soulless. Its also a bit too long, near the end it started to drag. That also has a second reason: they made Doctor Strange way too strong. In the end so strong that its ludicrous. I can already see that a bad guy in the inevitable sequel is going to steal his powers.

Who needs the Avengers when you have dudes flinging magic everywhere, anyway? I hope they keep Doctor Strange in his own little niche, but the credit sequence already proved otherwise.

7.5/10
Too bad as I have to ware corrective specs so the 3D glasses make for a not so enjoyable experience