English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 March 2016, 09:29   #1901
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Netflix (in the UK at least) have a lot of mostly great Shaw Brothers kung fu films in high definition. I watched these ones recently:

Come Drink With Me (1966)
The Kid with the Golden Arm (1979)
Five Deadly Venoms (1978)
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
Return to the 36th Chamber (1980)
Disciples of the 36th Chamber (1985)
Crippled Avengers (1978)
Heroes of the East (1978)
Five Shaolin Masters (1974)
Shaolin Martial Arts (1974)
Masked Avengers (1981)
Executioners From Shaolin (1977)
Invincible Shaolin (1978)
Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986)
Five Elements Ninjas (1982)
The Avenging Eagle (1978)
Old 06 March 2016, 17:32   #1902
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Ace selection, all these should be watched with the subs on, not dubbed presumably. 36th Chamber, I found a bit tedious though.
Make sure you don't miss [ Show youtube player ] (1978), in HD or not, featuring the great Sammo Hung.
Old 06 March 2016, 19:39   #1903
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Took kids to watch Zootopia last night... nice change from princess stuff for Disney... (Inside out was another one like this )

Great joke with Godfather reference...

You come in my house, on my daughter wedding day...
Old 23 March 2016, 10:05   #1904
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Gave Mad Max Fury Road a try on an evening where it was the wish to not have to use the brains. Did not get my wish, that movie is seriously weird! And in its weirdness, I quite enjoyed it.

Can't really say something for the choice of Tom Hardy as Mad Max though, he has too much of a baby face to play a character like that. Its a bit cliche at this point but I had rather seen someone like Josh Brolin in the role.
Old 23 March 2016, 13:56   #1905
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

LOL... I still say BS - no way someone in that situation would run away from pretty girls... something is extremely wrong there. I've seen people in 'no-hope' situation and our animal reproductive instincts kicks in... or should I say, I lived in similar situation.

Wonder how weird will be new Tarzan - Alexander SkarsgÄrd. (True blood and Battleship)

No plans to watch anything...
Old 23 March 2016, 21:16   #1906
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Gave Mad Max Fury Road a try on an evening where it was the wish to not have to use the brains. Did not get my wish, that movie is seriously weird! And in its weirdness, I quite enjoyed it.

Can't really say something for the choice of Tom Hardy as Mad Max though, he has too much of a baby face to play a character like that. Its a bit cliche at this point but I had rather seen someone like Josh Brolin in the role.
The best thing about Mad Max Fury Road:

Tharlize Theiron

If I were Mad Max I would be saying to her, yes beat me, I've been a very bad boy
Old 24 March 2016, 00:07   #1907
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
LOL... I still say BS - no way someone in that situation would run away from pretty girls... something is extremely wrong there. I've seen people in 'no-hope' situation and our animal reproductive instincts kicks in... or should I say, I lived in similar situation.
I was more wondering what the heck fuels all those vehicles
Old 24 March 2016, 13:35   #1908
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
I was more wondering what the heck fuels all those vehicles
Good to see that hybrids are very popular... as well solar cars...
Old 30 March 2016, 19:59   #1909
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Deadpool, finally.

Weird movie. I enjoyed it, but its just so hard to recommend to anyone. You get a movie in the Marvel X-men universe which under normal circumstances are made for a PG-13 crowd, and then you get this; not only an R-rated movie but basically a movie where they went all out making it an R-rated movie, and in doing so maybe went a teensy bit too far to keep it fun the whole way through; some of it is just unnecessarily disturbing.

Just don't go see it with your kids or you'll be blocking their eyes a lot and you'll have a lot of explaining to do prematurely about not only the birds and the bees but also what language to avoid and what is right, wrong, criminal and simply not possible. But as a flashback to those few years in the late 80's and early 90's where they didn't give a crap about age restrictions, this is a pretty nice trip down nostalgia lane.

Oh: even enjoyable if you hate or are sick and tired of superhero movies. This is not a superhero movie. Deadpool makes that pretty clear.

humor: 8/10 (type: very juvenile)
action: 7.5/10
gore level: 7/10
tits: 9

If you want something with a minimum amount of class, go see anything else.
Old 30 March 2016, 20:06   #1910
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
RISE (of the robots?)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-wonderfu...e-a-1767730785
Old 03 April 2016, 14:30   #1911
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Kung Fu Panda: a masterful blend of excellent voice acting, kung-phuey action and slapstick humour in this charming tale of the overlooked outsider becoming the dragon-warrior. A cool villain helps things along. 8/10

Kung Fu Panda 2: a sorry sequel, which lacks its predecessor's wit and charm and focuses purely on action, which gets mundane after awhile. A ho-hum villain doesn't help matters. Not a memorable movie at all - in fact, you can skip it without missing much. 3/10

Kung Fu Panda 3: a resounding return to form. Uses the winning formula of humour and martial arts, along with an ultra-cool villain and a "from zero to hero" storyline to craft a film that is just as good, if not better, than the original. 8.5/10
Old 11 April 2016, 11:07   #1912
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Ant Man since it miraculously appeared on Netflix.

I didn't know what to think of this movie when I saw the trailers and didn't give it much attention. I was a fool, this is one of the better Marvel movies simply because it is an "other" Marvel movie, much like Guardians of the Galaxy. It doesn't follow the Avengers mold, even though it tries to co-exist with it. This movie is simply aimed at making you smile, and it succeeds. Its not hilarious, its funny with likeable characters. And it is consistently funny and the characters really are likeable.

For a movie that is 80% CGI, this is remarkably good and fun!

7.9/10
Old 11 April 2016, 16:50   #1913
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

LOL @ Deadpool - haven't seen it yet... now I might have to find some time to watch it... Kind of tired of all super-hero movies.

I saw Daddy's Home, bit funny, bit annoying, but in overall, if you don't have anything else to watch this is movie for ya.
One thing that annoys me is that one of funny scenes was in preview... movie would be much more fun if that was not the case... (there is another equally funny scene, and that made somewhat movie worth watching )

6.5/10
Old 11 April 2016, 18:47   #1914
crazyc

Got to say we did find deadpool surprisingly funny.
Old 11 April 2016, 23:27   #1915
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
Netflix (in the UK at least) have a lot of mostly great Shaw Brothers kung fu films in high definition. I watched these ones recently:

Come Drink With Me (1966)
The Kid with the Golden Arm (1979)
Five Deadly Venoms (1978)
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
Return to the 36th Chamber (1980)
Disciples of the 36th Chamber (1985)
Crippled Avengers (1978)
Heroes of the East (1978)
Five Shaolin Masters (1974)
Shaolin Martial Arts (1974)
Masked Avengers (1981)
Executioners From Shaolin (1977)
Invincible Shaolin (1978)
Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986)
Five Elements Ninjas (1982)
The Avenging Eagle (1978)
Awesome!! Get yourself a CinemaGeddon invite if you want more.
Old 17 April 2016, 14:24   #1916
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Inside Out is a laugh-out-loud take on what goes on in all of our heads, with many of its inter-cranial insights scarily accurate.

Using a comical approach and some gorgeous animation, it delves deep into the mind and the human condition, exploring complex topics with humour, originality and sensitivity.

It's the family film that declares that life isn't always going to go smoothly, and that processing grief and sadness is an essential of growing up. Pretty bold for a Disney movie.

If Sigmund Freud was around, it would probably be his favourite animated film. I know I certainly loved it. 8/10
Old 18 April 2016, 11:00   #1917
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

In total random mode picked Kung Fury on Netflix.

Holy crap that movie is ludicrous and awesome. Well, "movie", its only 30 minutes and that's just long enough for it to start and end hilarious. Take the style of Far Cry: Blood Dragon and perfect it, and you've got Kung Fury.

I can't explain just how crazy this short movie is but every second of it is pure joy. Need more of this, and fast.

9/10

EDIT:

Available on Youtube! [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by gimbal; 18 April 2016 at 11:07.
Old 18 April 2016, 11:47   #1918
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
In total random mode picked Kung Fury on Netflix.

Holy crap that movie is ludicrous and awesome. Well, "movie", its only 30 minutes and that's just long enough for it to start and end hilarious. Take the style of Far Cry: Blood Dragon and perfect it, and you've got Kung Fury.

I can't explain just how crazy this short movie is but every second of it is pure joy. Need more of this, and fast.

9/10

EDIT:

Available on Youtube! [ Show youtube player ]
Really gimby? Really? You *just* saw it?

Found this little gem of a music video a couple of days ago, reminded me of Kung Fury instantly: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 April 2016, 16:04   #1919
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I replied to individual posts in that thread, not to the thread topic itself
Old 04 May 2016, 09:52   #1920
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Dead Man Down, a Colin Farrell vehicle together with Noomi Rapace, quite an electric pairing of actors - leading to really good acting. The entire movie just revolves around them and their broken ass characters that gives it a bright sparkle of viewing magic.

Because even if the acting is just spot on and the setting of the movie is grim yet lively - there is just nothing original about it. And I mean nothing original, this movie is just made with some kind of Hollywood casting mold. Just poor movie powder, add water, stir, wait a few minutes for it to harden - there, a new movie.

Regardless of its genericness: 7/10. Would watch more movies where these actors are paired.