English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 April 2015, 18:06   #61
Jope
-

I wonder why they cheaped out on a few screws with the A600/1200. That would have been an obvious choice and worked well for the A500 and C-128, naturally it slows down the manufacturing process..
Old 05 April 2015, 18:25   #62
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I would definitely get a case that is exactly as the ones we have, perhaps i ne wcolors, just like the C64 ones.

What you could do in the design is try to fix problems of the original cases, like the ever-breaking latches on A600 and A1200 cases. If someone can devise a better method of locking the case together it would be great. Just for that upgrade buying a new case would be worth it!
Agree,

closing latches suck (Especially the A600 where only one sdide has ascrew).

For the a1200 i think a long rail that hooks under the other would be good. mabbe have 3 or 4 shorter rails just in case. One of problems with the lower front screws was if you lost the originals and used wrong type you could easily break the plastic barrel it screwed into or even worse the screw goes too far and makes a bump in the plastic on top
Old 05 April 2015, 20:56   #63
eXeler0

Akira, this is perhaps a different problem you describe here...
Anyhoo... a new design would differ from the original for several reasons (copyright being just one of them)
I think it is safe to say that this is a quite difficult thing to pull off at such low volumes as we can expect from this.
Injection moulding would almost certainly require a succesful kickstarter.
But the way I see it, the first obstacle we need to clear is to "reverse engineer" the current A1200 case to get all the cruical mesurements accurate and absolutely right.
The second step would be to start designing an improved case as discussed earlier in this thread.
The design should then be made available as open source and 3d print ready.
The final step would be to evaluate the options for larger scale productions.

Last edited by eXeler0; 05 April 2015 at 21:01.
Old 07 April 2015, 17:00   #64
kipper2k

Hi All,

quick questions....

What type of plastic is the A1200 case made from... and what is considered to be best ?
Old 07 April 2015, 17:04   #65
Jope
-

It is ABS.
Old 07 April 2015, 19:41   #66
kipper2k

k,

sent off some "feeler" email just to try to get a rough estimate before people put too much time and effort into something that is doomed
Old 07 April 2015, 19:43   #67
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
Chances are that the a1200 cases are or were all in the Far East. Unlike the c64.(usa,Europe,Japan etc) Commodore like most companies used Asian labor and commodore went bust and was in debt when the 4000,12000,cd32 were in production. Escom may well of had the moulds but these also went bankrupt and if they left the production suppliers in debt then they will of been sold at auction or scrapped. Wasn't the cd32 produced in Singapore at some point?

Injection mould are large complex and heavy and of course very expensive to make and to maintain. I know I used to repair them.

It's possible a set survived but unlikely and to request modding them is completely unrealistic unless you have £50-£100k for a new moulding set to be cast and machined ?

Imagine a large jello case in two halves ? That's what they look like but in steel with injection heads , heating elements and water cooling. Pression made tooling.

Rust kills them too.im amazed that the c64 moulds have been found but then they made millions of them , so lots of moulds would of been made unlike the 1200.
Wouldn't a concrete mold work for a limited amount of cases? If not making an aluminium mold would be significantly cheaper than a steel one.
Old 07 April 2015, 19:55   #68
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Wouldn't a concrete mold work for a limited amount of cases? If not making an aluminium mold would be significantly cheaper than a steel one.
a 3D image and a CNC machine can produce these pretty quick nowadays. If you check out some of the things coming from China it is simply amazing that the can afford to make and ship their wares at such low prices
Old 07 April 2015, 21:06   #69
Jope
-

Their government subsidizes Chinese mail prices heavily.
Old 08 April 2015, 14:46   #70
kipper2k

I just received a reply from a manufacturer in China, they needed the weight info (i sent them all info except that

So it looks like there is a posibility of manufacture if they wanted more info. She also asked for a 3D model but as we don't have one yet i just asked if she could provide an estimate
Old 08 April 2015, 16:12   #71
alenppc

While we are at it, why not improve the case a little bit to include mounting holes for an internal CD rom and eventually an extra CF card above the PCMCIA or something?
Old 08 April 2015, 16:15   #72
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
While we are at it, why not improve the case a little bit to include mounting holes for an internal CD rom and eventually an extra CF card above the PCMCIA or something?

Yup, agree, if the quote is pleasing then we an play a bit with fixes for known issues, height clearances, upgrades etc
Old 08 April 2015, 21:48   #73
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

this looks interesting guys we will have some real modding going on
Old 08 April 2015, 22:22   #74
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Yup, agree, if the quote is pleasing then we an play a bit with fixes for known issues, height clearances, upgrades etc
The thing about China is that it's far away; as such it's hard to guarantee quality control.

The Pandora had a case that eventually developed cracks. They moved to I think it's called 'form action' in Greece, in order to make a case for the Pyra.

It's been said that the quality varies a lot with Chinese companies, and if your not actually present to oversee production, then things can go wrong and corners can be cut.

Form action may be more expensive though but it might be worth enquiring.

Hmm this sounds like something Evildragon might be interested in doing. If you had a 3d file complete and ready to go then who knows.
Old 09 April 2015, 02:59   #75
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
The thing about China is that it's far away; as such it's hard to guarantee quality control.

The Pandora had a case that eventually developed cracks. They moved to I think it's called 'form action' in Greece, in order to make a case for the Pyra.

It's been said that the quality varies a lot with Chinese companies, and if your not actually present to oversee production, then things can go wrong and corners can be cut.

Form action may be more expensive though but it might be worth enquiring.

Hmm this sounds like something Evildragon might be interested in doing. If you had a 3d file complete and ready to go then who knows.

Thats because making a case isn't as simple as people think. It may not have been a manufacturing fault but a design one. When I did engineering I remember seeing a finite element package package that simulated the mouldings and the casings as they cool and identified any points stress cracks would form due to the moulding design and also simulated forces during usage i.e where hinges are on the plastic. (not really an issue for the amiga case)..
Old 09 April 2015, 13:13   #76
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Thats because making a case isn't as simple as people think. It may not have been a manufacturing fault but a design one. When I did engineering I remember seeing a finite element package package that simulated the mouldings and the casings as they cool and identified any points stress cracks would form due to the moulding design and also simulated forces during usage i.e where hinges are on the plastic. (not really an issue for the amiga case)..
Yes in the case of the Pandora, the case makers claimed it was the design that was problematic, and predictably the cad designer claimed that it was the case guys fault. Nobody really knew in the end.
Old 09 April 2015, 13:30   #77
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

So, i fired off an e-mail to form action. No harm in asking.
Old 09 April 2015, 16:14   #78
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
So, i fired off an e-mail to form action. No harm in asking.

Yup, the more feelers, the better
Old 09 April 2015, 22:38   #79
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Injection moulding would almost certainly require a succesful kickstarter.
But the way I see it, the first obstacle we need to clear is to "reverse engineer" the current A1200 case to get all the cruical mesurements accurate and absolutely right.
Or you can try and find a mold as the C64 guys did :P
I seriously doubt copyright would be an issue, again, who owns the rights to that specific piece of the hardware? Anybody knows? If you can't use the AMIGA brand I wouldn't mind, but I'd like the -exact same shape- fixed with screws instead of latches and stuff liek that.

Crowdfunding it shouldn't be a problem, it's the least of your problems, as you can see the C64 project got funded way over their mark and the beauty of crowdfunding is that, if the goal isn't met, well, then tough shit, it isn't made, and nothing lost anything! But as far as I know there has been NOT a single crowdfunded Amiga hardware project that I can think of and that's a shame.
Old 10 April 2015, 19:29   #80
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Or you can try and find a mold as the C64 guys did :P
I seriously doubt copyright would be an issue, again, who owns the rights to that specific piece of the hardware? Anybody knows? If you can't use the AMIGA brand I wouldn't mind, but I'd like the -exact same shape- fixed with screws instead of latches and stuff liek that.

Crowdfunding it shouldn't be a problem, it's the least of your problems, as you can see the C64 project got funded way over their mark and the beauty of crowdfunding is that, if the goal isn't met, well, then tough shit, it isn't made, and nothing lost anything! But as far as I know there has been NOT a single crowdfunded Amiga hardware project that I can think of and that's a shame.
Apparently the C64 Case Kickstarter guys had some "problems" with copyright, as the patent-holding zombie-troll known as "Commodore Holdings" actually tried to get the project shut down. Luckily enough the C64 case doesn't sport any particular logos on it and it looks like the form-factor itself isn't copyrighted. They just had to remove any reference to "Commodore" or "C64" and that was it.

I fear that the Amiga case with that huge "AMIGA" on it could be a good source of copyright trouble, though

And an Amiga case without the embossed "AMIGA" wouldn't be the same