English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 27 February 2003, 22:57   #1
PlymWS

Using WHDLoader to install floppy games to a hard drive

Hi all,

Im trying to use WHDLoader from Aminet to create an image on my HD of a two disk game. I want to be able to run the game from the HD , rather than the two floppies.

I have installed WHDLoad and Installer from Aminet and back2roots.org and have the first disk in df0:. When I run WHDLoad it asks for a directory and asks for the disk to be put in the drive, but when the program tries to make an image of the disk, it fails saying that it was unable to create the image.

What is going wrong ? Is there another program I could use to install my games to my HD ?

Thx for all replies in advance

Old 27 February 2003, 23:03   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

More info please!

- Real Amiga or WinUAE?
- What is the game you are trying to install?

WHDLoad is usually meant for original boxed games and doesn't usually work with cracks, so that is most likely the problem.
Old 27 February 2003, 23:05   #3
PlymWS

Ahh yeah. Its to a real amiga 600 but its an adf i downloaded of chaos engine.

If WHDLoad won't work with downloaded adf's, is there a program that will ?

Old 27 February 2003, 23:17   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

WHDLoad is the best option, although you'll need some memory to use it properly.

Check out my FAQ at: Cody's WHDLoad FAQ

If you want to use WHDLoad, I can give you the working images to use with the installs. Remember to register the WHDLoad program, though!
Old 27 February 2003, 23:49   #5
PlymWS

What I want to do is use the adf files i have downloaded and transfer them to my HD so I can use them on my amiga rather than in WinUAE.

I think the fact that the files are downloaded, and therefore not the originals, WHDLoad doesn't work with these files.

Ive tried a few of the games i ve downloaded and they didnt work. Can I run these files off the HD or am I going to have to put up with floppy disk changing ?

Old 28 February 2003, 00:00   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

This is the plan:

1. PM or email me a list of games that you want to run on hard disk.
2. I'll send you the images that you can use with the WHDLoad installers.
Old 28 February 2003, 00:23   #7
PlymWS

ok thx m8

Old 28 February 2003, 14:11   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by PlymWS
I think the fact that the files are downloaded, and therefore not the originals, WHDLoad doesn't work with these files.
You are right. Most WHD installs are meant to be used with images taken from the ORIGINAL games.

Some installs do work with cracked copies, though. Codetapper's installs use to support all versions, even cracked ones.

Oh, you will need at least 2MB of RAM to run any WHDLoad game in your A600. 1MB just won't do it for most(all?) games.