English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 22 March 2007, 00:50   #1
MethodGit

Egor In Toyland

I recently discovered this to be Amiga Action's choice of last coverdisk game before they folded as a solo mag. Suffice to say I wanted to check this out for myself to see whether it was a worthy enough game to go out on.

The only problem is, however, it seems to be virtually impossible to download from anywhere off the net, and what's more HOL doesn't even have an entry on it! Interestingly though, I came across some YouTube clips of what appeared to be a mobile phone port of the game, but I couldn't learn any more than that out of them.

A random googling came across a now-finished eBay.de auction that sold the coverdisk in question amongst some other disks. Probably doesn't crop up very often!

So I was wondering if anybody happened to actually have this game in their possession by sheer lucky chance? I'd be well chuffed if so.
Old 24 March 2007, 12:04   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Meth do you actually contribute to the forum in any other capacity other than constant requests you leech
Old 24 March 2007, 18:41   #3
MethodGit

Oi, I don't request that much nowadays! And when I do it's only for rare stuff that I can't already find in my TOSEC collection and all.

And as you'll know I've uploaded a few things to the Zone lately, and also (as you've seen in the AMR section) I've offered a multitude of ADFs that aren't already up on AMR, so neeerrrrrr!

But yes, seriously, Egor In Toyland sure is one rare bastard for a PD game! Probably only a tiny selection of people bothered to buy the last Amiga Action back then (and of course if anyone DOES still have their copy of the mag in full, I would love to see it up on AMR so that I can finally read that final Son of Boggit article that was talked about by many before!).
Old 29 March 2007, 22:49   #4
MethodGit

Ok, might as well post an update....

Turns out I misinterpreted the info for the YouTube clips....... it IS the Amiga version, but being recorded through a mobile (hence the rather crappy quality)! Also in the uploader's ("yaKC") video album are a couple of clips from what appear to be a different game of sorts called Egor's Quest - I never even knew of its existence until this month!

So - having just discovered YouTube's messages system for the very first time () - I decided to drop him a message showing my interest as such:

Quote:
Sent: March 22, 2007
Read: March 22, 2007
Subject: Egor In Toyland and Egor's Quest
Do you still have the disks for these? If so, do you know how to dump them to ADF format? It's just that I was interested in playing these myself but nowhere on the internet appears to have these for download. So I was wondering if you could help out by any chance. Cheers! :-)

His reply soon followed:

Quote:
Sent: March 22, 2007
Subject: Re: Egor In Toyland and Egor's Quest
Yeah I still got the disks, but been unable to get them dumped to PC Perhaps gonna go halfs with a mate on a CatWeasel so I can read them... will let you know via here if I get them over ...

Oh, and still got AMOS source code for them too *_+

marzsyndrome wrote:

> Do you still have the disks for these? If so, do you know how to dump them to ADF format? It's jus...
Intriguing how he has the source code for both titles........ perhaps he could be the author!

I just sent off a new reply to him telling him good luck and also informed him about this place, saying how it's "usually interested in the rare and undiscovered of Amiga gamingness" - hope you don't mind!
Old 29 March 2007, 23:20   #5
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
my gawd man ...what have you done !
Old 20 April 2007, 02:35   #6
MethodGit

Well it's been a while, but he finally got back to me!

Quote:
Sent: April 14, 2007
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Egor In Toyland and Egor's Quest
Sorry Marz for not replying `til now, I meant to try and make some other vids to send you but the phone I was using broke anyways thanks for the interest and for pointing me to that forum, I`ll take a look, still no joy getting the disks imaged, although if you know anyone that could rip just the demo for now then I`d happily send my own cover disk just to get the demo preserved.... The mag said it was the full game but it`s only a couple of levels...

Oh, and yes I`m the coder of Egor`s Quest and Egor in Toyland Egor`s Quest being the first and actually better game, Egor in Toyland is pretty shit, more of a coding excercise and a favour for Brian Bell who did most of the work on the Reality games Construction Kit circa 95 - 97...

anyway, just in case your interested, as far as I know Egor`s Quest is the fastest scrolling game to come out on the Amiga, and so it`s a shame that only a few people have it, it was quite a shock to a couple of people who did see it back in `95 as it was the first AMOS platform game to feature 50 fps (60 fps on NTSC) and it had pixel shifts of up to about 20 pixels per frame on later levels which probably makes it faster than Sonic on the MegaDrive. All with normal AMOS 1.36 with no extensions anyways I`m blathering, but I was quite proud at the time, as people said you could only do slow games or puzzlers in AMOS, lol

I`ll keep you updated when I can get some stuff imaged to the PC, just skint at the mo, or if you can help get anything imaged then drop me a PM mate
Good eh? Nice to know I'm in contact with the original author here! Anyone got any good advice right now?
Old 04 May 2007, 19:26   #7
yaKC

Cheers for pointing me towards this excellent forum MethodGit I`d be really pleased if anyone could help me to preserve the mentioned games, and source code... ideally I`d like to start making games again for the Amiga, but my 1200`s knackered, 600 has some bust keys and I don`t fancy coding on emulator without my source code.

Also have some other games and stuff with source could do with preserving :-

Platform Dueller`s - 4 Player platform game, like a platform version of bomberman

Ultra Space Invaders - S I`s crossed with galaxians

AMOS Intuition Interface - nuff said

8 Way Scrolling Platform Skeleton Disk for Reality Software Construction Kit

greatful and indebted would not be enough to say if anyone could help

If you`d like to see the Egor games in action there`s some vids at :-

Egor`s Quest
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Egor in Toyland
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Cal...

Old 04 May 2007, 19:42   #8
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Hi yaKC,
welcome to EAB. It's the best Amiga board on the net.
Old 04 May 2007, 20:09   #9
yaKC

Thanks lopos I`ve been here a few times before, but with there being a few different Amiga forums never got round to knowing which to join

Had a quick look round and the forum is MASSIVE, hehe

Old 04 May 2007, 20:13   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

hey mate, i'll dump ALL your disks andreturn them to you, with all sources emailed etc..

I can be trusted (ask about )

welcome to eab, and get comfy
Old 04 May 2007, 20:23   #11
yaKC

Thanks for the welcome Bippy It`s actually because of you that I joined today, as I was sent here by Method and noticed in a thread you offering to .adf stuff for someone, so you were gonna get a PM soon anyhow, lol

Thank you so much for the offer, I`ve never known who to ask, so buzzin` like you can`t believe, been watching disks for years knowing their gonna not last... I have a few disks lying around that I could send in the next week or two, and will get myself into the cupbaord to look for the rest.

Some of the stuff I`d probs want back, so I`ll include return postage, but mosta it you could just bin or use as blanks If you could PM your details then we can sort something out.

Thanks again

Old 04 May 2007, 20:39   #12
zenox98
Joy Division

This exchange shows the true spirit of the Amiga and it's devotees.
Old 04 May 2007, 20:43   #13
yaKC

I just wish I`d joined or frequented the place yeeeaaars ago. I hadn`t realised the Amiga was still so alive Well I`m off out, later !

Old 04 May 2007, 22:13   #14
mrbob2

Ive been on here a while and its fantastic to join in with a community thats so friendly and share the passion of the best home computer. What make the amiga special? the people who keep its alive....
Old 05 May 2007, 00:45   #15
DamienD
Banned

Hello yaKC,

As everyone else has already metioned, welcome to EAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaKC
Ultra Space Invaders - S I`s crossed with galaxians
Now that sounds very interesting (along with the other stuff you've mentioned)

Bippym is a true champion and somebody you can trust 105%
Old 06 May 2007, 14:06   #16
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Can we put these games and their sources onto Aminet so they will be permanently preserved forever and ever?

I am really interested in that 4-player game!
Old 06 May 2007, 14:20   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

I will not distribute anything sent to me, it's upto yaKC to decide what he wants to do with it all..

I'm certain he'll release the games demo's etc, but he might want to keep the source to himself and finish the games
Old 06 May 2007, 18:55   #18
yaKC

I`ve no probs about the games being put up on aminet, or whereever else, and the sources to everything apart from the Egor games can be put up, I was originally intending on keeping the sources to those (with the UltraScroll) routines to myself, as AFAIK it`s the only 50/60 fps routine for AMOS 1.36, and I`d like to get some games out this year... but having StrategyGamer ask I`ve rethought and on retro machines starved of new games it seems a little selfish, as it`d be quite easy for any AMOS coder`s to knock up some fast platform games or scrolling shooters.... I`d still like to keep those routines to myself for a month just so I can reaquaint myself with the code etc etc

I think I`ve said before, but the Egor games are pretty crap, as I was young and there`s no nice code for the character movement or jumping, just nice and fast and smooth, so I`d like to work on the engine some more and perhaps put out a V2 of my skeleton disk for Reality, so non coder`s or graphics peeps can make there own scrolling platform games.

I`ve also got the sources to Brian `Mr AMOS`Bell`s "Reality - The Ultimate Software Construction Kit" kicking around somewhere, with a later version of MegaMacMap (think that`s the name) as I helped out a lot as the package was being finished... It`d be nice to get some new Skeleton disks out for that, thinking mainly of a scrolling shooter one at the mo, as the Skeleton disk Brian did was only 10-15 fps and should be possible to get 50/60 fps, or at worst 25/30 with UltraScroll.

Bippym did say :-
"I will not distribute anything sent to me, it's upto yaKC to decide what he wants to do with it all..

I'm certain he'll release the games demo's etc, but he might want to keep the source to himself and finish the games"

Cheers especially about the source code thing, your actually right about finishing them off, as the space invaders game, and Platform Dueller`s only had a few levels.

Oh, and cheers for the welcomes lad`s
I`m a rambler so I better stop typing, hehe

Old 06 May 2007, 19:03   #19
yaKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer
Can we put these games and their sources onto Aminet so they will be permanently preserved forever and ever?

I am really interested in that 4-player game!
I never got to play it with anybody so not sure if it`s any good, I got a little mobile vid of it somewhere from last year, so I`ll try and stick it up on YouTube while me and Bippym sort stuff out

@ DamienD, the space invader`s game is more like SI`s than galaxians tbh, but it does have some dive bombing aliens on later levels and a wave that bounces along just above the sheilds It`s pretty fast too, not sure if it`s any good, but it`s cool for AMOS, in fact I`m pretty damn sure that I`ve never written a decent game on the Amiga or SAM Coupe, LMAO like I say someone might find a use with the code though

Old 10 November 2017, 05:37   #20
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
The only problem is, however, it seems to be virtually impossible to download from anywhere off the net, and what's more HOL doesn't even have an entry on it! Interestingly though, I came across some YouTube clips of what appeared to be a mobile phone port of the game, but I couldn't learn any more than that out of them.
I found this rare coverdisk on Internet Archive (also in The Zone). Funny Amiga Action claims this is the full game, when there are only 2 levels on disk. And you get "demo complete" when you complete it. It would be nice to get hold of the full version and the other Egor game: Egor's Quest. I know the author has post in this thread in the past, so maybe worth sending him a PM and ask for the full version.

It is not the best game in world, but could be added to HOL I think since there are many other coverdisk demo games already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Egor In Toyland.png
Views:	121
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	55357  

Last edited by hipoonios; 10 November 2017 at 08:30.