English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 December 2014, 16:54   #1
Psytec

Crystal Rift Kickstarter - Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder Reloaded

Check out our Kickstarter, it's a modern take on Retro Grid-Based dungeon crawlers, Loved these on my Amiga!, please help by pledging!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ungeon-crawler

Old 02 December 2014, 17:33   #2
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Markiplier
Old 02 December 2014, 21:43   #3
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytec View Post
Check out our Kickstarter, it's a modern take on Retro Grid-Based dungeon crawlers, Loved these on my Amiga!, please help by pledging!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ungeon-crawler
I was preparing myself to see some amateur effort which looked more like wishful thinking, than something which might come to fruition - but was pleased to see something with substance and an existing demo. Surprised they're only going for 4000$, but it makes sense. If the kickstarter takes off, they get the money with no worry about not meeting the funding level. Kind of demonstrates a fundamental flaw in kickstarter.

That said, it doesn't appeal to me.
Old 03 December 2014, 01:20   #4
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
Surprised they're only going for 4000$, but it makes sense. If the kickstarter takes off, they get the money with no worry about not meeting the funding level. Kind of demonstrates a fundamental flaw in kickstarter.
Do you mean that, even if the project is funded, the creator has no obligations towards backers?
He could decide not to finish it, keep the money and that's all?
Old 03 December 2014, 11:59   #5
Marcuz

I was hoping to see something even remotely EoB or BC related, which is not the case. Could be a nice game but I don't do kickstart.
Old 03 December 2014, 12:32   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Do you mean that, even if the project is funded, the creator has no obligations towards backers?
Morally yes. Legally maybe. But all the project owner has to do is to use a limited company and the company declare bankruptcy.

This has already happened on one high-profile, high funding level project.

All the backers can do us use a credit card and make a claim, but most projects take longer from funding to failure than the maximum time limit of most claims.

Estimates put it at 15% of all Kickstart funded projects fail to deliver anything within 2 years.

http://www.quora.com/How-many-funded...ithout-a-trace

Last edited by alexh; 04 December 2014 at 14:28.
Old 04 December 2014, 13:08   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's still way more effective than something like Steam Early Access titles are though, where the percentages are basically the exact opposite.

I don't participate in Kickstarter projects myself but I see its true value - its not a guarantee in anyway, its a method for fans to fund the development of a game and have a chance of games they actually want to come to life - a game in which no evil moneygrabbing publisher was involved to utterly murder the outcome in the name of stockholders.

But therein also lies the problem; Kickstarter (for games) is fueled mostly by emotions and nostalgia - the heart rather than the brain. Hearts can be broken, and when it does then the brain will come into play again and notice that the wallet is lighter with nothing to show for it.

On that basis I'm not too happy with Kickstarter. I want such propositions to be all business until its done.
Old 04 December 2014, 22:04   #8
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
He could decide not to finish it, keep the money and that's all?
You're projecting something onto what I said and taking the worst possible interpretation.

Kickstarter projects that did not reach their goals, got nothing. So setting a high goal for a reasonable amount was stupid, because if you almost reached it and don't, you got nothing.

So therefore, it is smart to set a low goal and to hope you get lots of people jumping onto the project, knowing that you will pass the goal quickly and any real level of money you get is yours to use.

On the other hand, when I see a project with a low goal, it makes me take them less seriously because I think "that's all you need, why bother."