English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 September 2007, 14:58   #121
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

hmmmm media..... mass controll of the mass consious.... this is a bad thing... all media is political... and this is against the rules of this board... and in all truth polotics should be against the rules of humanity.....

and this low-brow / high-brow... its just another way to seperate the truth... and in short manifest propoganda agasint or for some-ones agenda.

media = bad mmmkay...........
Old 06 September 2007, 08:56   #122
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Depends on your point of view I suppose. It's very right-wing.
Therefore aiming at the stupid crowd. gotcha! Same as New york Pieceofshit.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:59   #123
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Therefore aiming at the stupid crowd. gotcha! Same as New york Pieceofshit.
You'll be surprised how many people read it here in the UK. I think it's starting to die out now though as a lot of the racist/bigotted oldschool are becoming a bit more liberal and easy going.

Stories of immigrants killing our babies and taking our jobs don't catch the public imagination like they used to

I've never read any papers when I've been in the US, so I can't comment on the New York Post
Old 26 September 2007, 11:45   #124
Photon

CPU actually doesn't seem that shabby. This computer with specs from 1999 will probably be in a designed housing, that's the notion I got from it.

What worries me is

1) No outspoken support for which OS it will run.
2) No outspoken support for which graphics cards it'll run. We're gonna buy a card and chance it that this company has drivers for it?
3) Can't run games, demos, etc natively.

The minimum definition of an Amiga is simple: a computer that can run an OS by Commodore Amiga and the games and demos flawlessly and in real time. (WHDloaded if the original programmer used kickstart-dependant code, knew nothing of future accelerator quirks, etc.)

After all, emulators do a great job, and their only flaw really is not being real-time. Which is due to the programmer having to be compatible with PCs that do not have realtime video/audio hardware. If new hardware isn't real-time, they have no advantage over emulators at all.

As a subset of this definition, I'm only interested in those that run Commodore Amiga OS, demos and games Natively. That's why I like FPGA type solutions better - making "what an Amiga is" with modern components, which will preserve it for the future! <3
Old 26 September 2007, 12:39   #125
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
.....The days of building brilliant custom chips and motherboard designs for home computers are over....
Actually if you look at Intel and AMD's future plans, they're both headed back in that very same direction. CPU and I/O will become one and eventually graphics. Similar to what Sun has done with the new UltraSparc.
Old 26 September 2007, 13:04   #126
Photon

There will be no proper graphics cards on a CPU. The reason performance graphics card (as in, "3D") have separate memory is because nobody wants to share the already oversaturated memory bus with DMA to external memory (as on Amiga). And 256-1024MB of internal memory is far off from today's roughly 2MB cache. Why? Dye space and heat.

The reason CPU, gfx, io, sound etc are separate are a) to offload the CPU (each unit doing their thing simultaneously) and b) to provide upgradability. If the PC standardizes completely, we might see a packaged solution, but CPU dies are crowded as they are. And "lately" bridge chips etc have been put on separate chips to make room and save heat.

PCs are mostly for Office users and gamers. There might be something like a low-chip count solution for the very low end Office crowd / laptops, but no. There's no sign the rest of us (who use PCs because they run the most software and are a decent investment due to upgradability/expansion) will buy something that runs slower and can't be upgraded.
Old 27 September 2007, 00:23   #127
Pyromania

Are these machines ever really coming out?
Old 27 September 2007, 00:29   #128
Graham Humphrey

Of course not.
Old 27 September 2007, 01:35   #129
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Nothing proper like an an nVidia 8800, but performance far exceeding what you see of integrated graphics. Integrated I/O will be a certainty for performance as was multi-core. I think CPUs like the UltraSparc T2 is a perfect example of what we may be seeing from AMD and Intel.
Old 28 September 2007, 18:15   #130
cdoty
RasterSoft Dev

Send a message via ICQ to cdoty Send a message via AIM to cdoty
The one thing that would make this appealing is if it had some form of 68000 chip in it. A FPGA version of the amiga chipset would be a plus.
Old 29 September 2007, 00:31   #131
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoty View Post
The one thing that would make this appealing is if it had some form of 68000 chip in it. A FPGA version of the amiga chipset would be a plus.

sorta like Clone-A then?

I wish too....
Old 29 September 2007, 13:45   #132
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo View Post
Nothing proper like an an nVidia 8800, but performance far exceeding what you see of integrated graphics. Integrated I/O will be a certainty for performance as was multi-core. I think CPUs like the UltraSparc T2 is a perfect example of what we may be seeing from AMD and Intel.
Won't happen. No dye space for texture memory. Heck, even 2 2D-buffers of 1280x1024 is 10MB. If the cores were well-designed RISC like ARM, sure, you could fit 100 ARMs on a C2D dye. But for every meg of video RAM they'd lose huge chunks of space for pipeline parallelization, which is Intel(et al)'s real advantage.
Old 01 October 2007, 13:10   #133
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

So.... I've waited 14 days...I mean weeks... where's the computer Amiga, INC promised in alte April? :/

Frankly, I can't stand MicroSoft, but AT LEAST they'll tell the consumer if tere's a problem anywhere and things are delayed.