andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
andreas, I don't think 68020+ CPUs without ce-emulation are a problem
Ohhh ... sort of double negation, so this requires me to really think
Why do you think they aren't a problem?
Anyway, you and I know that there was various issues with AGA games (68020+) that were possibly happening because those games required cycle-exact CPU emulation.
So if this isn't possible, there will be simply a bunch of games only running correctly on the real thing.
And if more CAPS releases require this, there will be less CAPS releases running on the emulator therefore.
Old 15 January 2003, 14:57   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Anyway, you and I know that there was various issues with AGA games (68020+) that were possibly happening because those games required cycle-exact CPU emulation.
I know but most problems can be fixed by better cpu and chip ram speed emulation. Currently 68020+ CPUs instructions are really too fast compared to custom chipset clock cycles. This and too fast chip ram access speed -> problems..

Why is 68020 too fast? Probably it was originally meant for fastest possible WB use, not for emulating AGA games.
Old 15 January 2003, 16:10   #23
Interceptor

i think it would be nice to have some presets in winuae.

instead of wading thru options after options, and starting masses of 'my config is pants' etc etc threads we could have something like....

program starts.

select machine type, a500, a1200, a600 etc etc

that way, if you select 'a500' you know someone is running with the correct ram, and timings etc.
same with a1200 (which may allow us to have a 14mhz 68020 instead of 'fastest possible'

and then your chipset timings can be set for the machine type.

i agree with people having the option to change whatever they like, but at least they should have a nice solid, stable starting point.

also, now that cycle exact emulation is possible with todays machines, is there any point in not running the emulator that way? that's a legit question, not a flame war starter btw.

sorry this post is a bit rushed, but i'm at work. hopefully you get the gist of it.
Old 15 January 2003, 19:56   #24
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
I know but most problems can be fixed by better cpu and chip ram speed emulation.
That might be the misunderstanding here.

I set "better CPU emulation" synonymously to "more accurate CPU emulation" and therefore also synonymously to "cycle-exact CPU emulation".
Old 15 January 2003, 22:50   #25
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

WinUAE preset configs

Personally I think that this is an excellent idea!

As Interceptor says the option to tweak and fiddle should always be available for those who have a deep understanding of both the intricacies and nuances of Amigas and UAE; However, for us lesser mortals who have neither the time nor understanding and just want to play our favourite games it would seem to be ideal. And perhaps with known starting points it may make future WinUAE advancement easier - I might well be talking out of my arse about that, Toni will obviously be the one to make the best judgement about it, but I believe it's an idea worthy of consideration.
Old 15 January 2003, 23:50   #26
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Floppy disk Rolling Ronny Unsupported Version

If somebody has this unsupported version of Rolling Ronny they can send it to me and I'll support it. You will have to send it in MFMWarp format since the IPF format is still unusable on a real Amiga.

Instructions and tools are here:

Imaging instructions

Also I would say the coverdisk version is the common version of this game as I know lots of people with the game in their list of originals yet not a single person has the MFM version.

Also Wizard Wars does have a WHDLoad install, Galahad has done it. He just hasn't released it to the masses yet. The WHDLoad version of Batman supports both 1 and 2 disk versions too according to the readme.
Old 16 January 2003, 00:06   #27
Konrad

@Interceptor and Jherek
Why integrate it into WinUAE ? The optimal config files could just be provided as downloads on the WinUAE page. The info could also be integrated in the readme file.
I see no need to put it into the program as selectable options.

BTW:
you always have to change some setting i.e. selecting your kickstart, setting optimal video settings for your graphics card, setting the optimal sound settings and so on, so everything runs fluent. So you can't find an optimal configuration for every winuae user.
Old 16 January 2003, 00:27   #28
fiath

WinUAE config where Batman works (on my machine) now in the zone.
Old 16 January 2003, 02:35   #29
Uukrul

Re: Rolling Ronny Unsupported Version

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper

If somebody has this unsupported version of Rolling Ronny they can send it to me and I'll support it. You will have to send it in MFMWarp format since the IPF format is still unusable on a real Amiga.
Why don't you try WinUAE?. I've used WWarp and extracts without errors a warp file of 2084296 bytes.

Quote:
The WHDLoad version of Batman supports both 1 and 2 disk versions too according to the readme.
I've installed the 2 disk version and get this error message:
'The data/disk-files are damaged or it is an unsupported version'

Last edited by Uukrul; 16 January 2003 at 02:48.

Old 16 January 2003, 11:01   #30
Interceptor

well, i'll use the atari emulator WinSton for my example.

(ignoring the fact it has a built in TOS rom, since i know you cant do this (without getting in the shit) with the amiga..)

you load it, it works. from the first install you are emulating a base level 520stfm, you can add memory to it, and choose between about 2 resolutions.

you run it, it works, not happy, then tweak it.

with winuae, you have to effectively run it, build your own amiga, choos from about 5000 resolutions, and it's still impossible to build an a1200 since you cant select the timings for it.

i'm talking hardware presets here, not configs.

winuae is making great progress, but instead of keep adding to it, how about making it more simple, clean and robust?

i suppose i'm almost suggesting that winuae breaks from the 'uae' and goes solo. and prehaps that's the answer.

anyways, just my take.
Old 16 January 2003, 11:54   #31
Ian
Global Moderator

I too had this vision a long time ago, of 2 tabs in WinUAE, a begineers tab with the 3 main Amiga all setup ready to go.

A500, A1200 and CD32.

And an advanced tab for the rest of us with all the config options like we have now.

However I think it is much more important for Toni to continue the work he's doing. I think someone else, maybe a gui programmer should add the code to the WinUAE source, and then Toni could just add the mod to the next WinUAE if it's bug free and works well.

And besides, Toni has always said he isn't a GUI programmer
Old 16 January 2003, 15:45   #32
Interceptor

i get the impression, really, that once UAE reaches a pretty complete point, the(a) windows version needs to be created from scratch, purely for windows, with cycle accuracy in mind from the beginning.

it would probably run smoother and faster just from that.

easier said than done i'm sure, but right now its like a borg, lots of bolted on bits built onto a different species of program.
Old 16 January 2003, 18:19   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

If memory serves me

Batman does a Copylock check everytime it loads a file (read that as series of tracks!), which is possibly why Batman IPF is slow to load on WinUAE.
Old 16 January 2003, 22:19   #34
IFW

Re: If memory serves me

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Batman does a Copylock check everytime it loads a file (read that as series of tracks!), which is possibly why Batman IPF is slow to load on WinUAE.
Yes it does, after each part loaded.
Old 17 January 2003, 15:17   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Christ...

last time I touched that game was in 1989.... and I remember shit like that!!! Christ, I need to get a life!

Oh yeah, and the patch for the loader of BC Kid is at $17e2e.... bah, gotta stop this!
Old 18 January 2003, 00:57   #36
Diggit

Man that's cool

I remember being with you on an UK bbs in the early nineties (sysop was named after a modem, can't remember exactly :/ and also myself under a different handle) talking about fixes for HD installs and getting Stunt Car Racer (or hybris??) onefiled to work correctly on '060! Good times

Fairlight pretty much ruled back then, I still sometimes just start Pinball Dreams cracktro to see the logo coming up with the low vibrating synth noise....... (sad eh? When Dreams Come True :-)))

keep the attitude m8!