English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 08 November 2003, 01:55   #1
staticgerbil

Which C?

Hi.

Just wondering what would be the best c compiler to get hold of.

I am currently writing a game on Linux (silkworm type clone) with a guy who is running macosx. So we are compiling those two versions but would like to do an amiga version to.

Also do any of the compilers come with gfx commands or are there librarys to do it.

Cheers.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 November 2003, 02:21   #2
Amigaboy

I'm a fan of SAS/C. Others may prefer Storm C AND/OR Hisoft C++. As far as my tests have shown, SAS/C produces smaller, more efficient code.

For a graphics library, I suggest you use SDL. It's available on many platforms. It would be ideal if you write your game in SDL because porting to different platforms is usually just a matter of compiling.

Old 08 November 2003, 02:47   #3
staticgerbil

I presume none of the compilers you listed are free? I'll check the semi-localish amiga shops and see if they have one.

SDL... Will have a look. We are using Allegro at the moment as i wasn't planning an amiga version but i got meself a good 1200 again and im itchin to program it again
We aren't very far in so should be easy to switch over to SDL.
Old 08 November 2003, 03:03   #4
Amigaboy

Nope. None of them are free, unfortunately.
For a free alternative, I suggest Dice. I used to use this, and it did me well. Perhaps someone knows a better one? Is this the best free one? I'd like to know too.

I used to use Allegro too. The switch to SDL is fairly smooth as the concepts between them are the same. It's fairly easy to port Allegro code to SDL.

Old 08 November 2003, 12:37   #5
RetroMan

If you choose GCC for Linux, it would be very easy to port to AmigaOS, since GCC is also available
Old 08 November 2003, 12:48   #6
Pyromania

Storm C 4.0 is avail for 50 Euro, has anyone used that and is it recommended?
Old 08 November 2003, 12:52   #7
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
hmmm, forget Dice, it's way to old and afaik hasn't been updated for years

Go to Aminet and get gcc or gcc+ they are free (released under GNU) It's available for Amiga, linux (i386 & PPC), and probably mac as well, then you'll only need to learn the quirks of one version, instead of one for each platform. gcc is also going to be supplied with OS4

Or go to GoldEd and grab the demo of golded ATX which is an IDE and comes with gcc (well worth buying), I'm a tight bugger, and vary rarely buy software when I can *cough* borrow *cough* it, even though I would probably never get even near the demo version limits, I bought a copy (2 actually as I bought V6 as well)

I think Golded 5 is now freeware, so if you want a good programmers editor for the amiga on the cheap end of the scale, go and look for it
Old 08 November 2003, 13:09   #8
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
Storm C 4.0 is avail for 50 Euro, has anyone used that and is it recommended?
*cough* Borrowed it *cough* and hisoftC++ never really got into either of them, though I have been told that the end exe's that Storm produces aren't that fast, it's more an apps rather than a games language.
Old 08 November 2003, 23:18   #9
fiath

Isn't StormC just a ported GCC compiler but with an Amiga IDE?
Old 08 November 2003, 23:21   #10
Drake1009

I know there's a GCC available for windows as well. But I never actually managed to compile anything with it. Even a sample hello world program failed. Be sure to get one of the stable builds.
Old 08 November 2003, 23:59   #11
Amigaboy

Bleh. I don't know why I said Dice instead of GCC. Anyway....

fiath: I believe so.
Drake1009: I've never had any problems with GCC on any platform, including Windows. I suggest you use MingW instead of DJGPP/Cygwin/etc. You should have no troubles with it.

Old 10 November 2003, 05:08   #12
staticgerbil

I have downloaded gcc as that is what we're using on the linux and macosx version.

Just wanting some opinions coz i'd rather spend time changing the code to work than stuffing around with a dodgy compiler.

Is that developer cd worth buying? I think that has StormC in it doesn't it?
Old 12 November 2003, 07:17   #13
staticgerbil

With this SDL it says it needs Cybergraphix 3 or 4 and may work on P96 or CGXAga.

I just have a pretty basic 1200. Is CGXAga what i will need to use?

If so exactly how does it work? Is it just like a driver for the aga chipset or something?

I tried looking for some info on it in search engines and didn't find much of use.
Old 12 November 2003, 08:36   #14
Amigaboy

I had no idea SDL required a graphics card on the Amiga. I was always under the impression SDL required a minimum of AGA...apparently I was wrong

You can give CGXAGA a shot, but I doubt it will work.
I know of no alternative graphics libraries for the Amiga, staticgerbil. Anyone know any?

If you really want an Amiga version of what you're working on, you could set up workbench on WinUAE purely for development purposes. WinUAE has graphic card emulation so it'll work there.

Old 12 November 2003, 13:15   #15
staticgerbil

Maybe older versions did only need AGA. On aminet there are 2 versions (1.2 and 1.2.6) and they say something like "This version of SDL requires Cybergraphix but may work with P96 or CGXAga (untested)"

Im not real keen on setting up an emulator to write the program as i want people to play it on real amigas and i presume a majority of people don't have gfx cards in their real amigas.

I might just rewrite it in something like amos or blitz. Will be reasonably quick/easy process to convert the functions im writing into basic. That way I could make it work on my mates 500 to.

I haven't been able to find any other gfx libraries for the miggy either. Oh well.

Thanks for the help anywho
Old 18 November 2003, 13:00   #16
bonkers

I use both SAS and Storm. SAS for doing some uncritical demo stuff and Storm for doing some utils. SAS produces faster executables but Storm is easier to work with. I find them both to be brilliant compilers especialy the debugger in Storm is the best one I've ever seen.

But the only one you can get your hands on right now is Storm and for 50euros it's a bargain. I think you also get the developerCD included in tha package which itself is worth 50euros if you are serious about AmigaDevelopment.

About SDL, I just find that way to slow make your own routines in assembler instead and call them from C.

Old 19 November 2003, 05:20   #17
staticgerbil

Is this the developer cd you are talking about?
http://www.anythingamiga.com/amiga/item1525.htm
Im pretty sure that one has StormC in it?

If so then you should buy it from over here. It's only $46AU which is only like about 22 euro's i think

I did think about that but on that site it says dev kit for 3.5 and 3.9 and i am quite happy runnin 3.0 at the moment.
Old 07 January 2004, 11:43   #18
P-J
Grumpy veteran

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
Go to Aminet and get gcc or gcc+ they are free (released under GNU) It's available for Amiga, linux (i386 & PPC), and probably mac as well...

...on a quick side note, the AROS team have ported GCC to their OS so if their are any coders out there wanting to help with that project then they have the tools to do it.

Apologies if no-one is interested in this project...!

http://www.aros.org
Old 09 January 2004, 01:22   #19
staticgerbil

I forgot about that project.

Might go have a look. See if there is anything to do that i can handle.

Does anyone here use aros at all?
AdSense AdSense