English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 October 2009, 16:29   #21
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

All my mates know what i'm like when it comes to computers/consoles and nobody finds my gaming addiction weird because they've known me for years and have gotten used to it (I've even got a few mates into collecting various games and hardware ). Most people i know have either had an Amiga, Commodore 64, Spectrum or an Atari ST at some point... amongst other consoles

It's funny because i always manage to bring back either some games, a console or something computer related whenever i go on holiday abroad with friends
Old 29 October 2009, 20:42   #22
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Most people i know either grew up with Amiga gaming or had friends with them

It's suprising how many young folk i know that like the Amiga and even remember it - a young friend of 23 had a poorer family and this meant he had the older machines way before any of the new stuff and he has very fond memories.But then it was one of his first machines

Those that seem to have started gaming at the PS2 era are the ones that appear to have a harder time understanding the concept of Amiga quality

And then again iv'e had nephews that have seen i'm enjoying something seemingly less impressive and shortly after accepted it must be pretty good if i'm bothering with it

I'd say 23 is not the average age of course for an Amiga owner but certainly there are many that will have been introduced to it early on and before the actual machines of their time

Although there are loads out there that would no doubt laugh at an Amiga game, i think those people around you that are friends etc, are usually more interested than anything else.It doesn't mean you might be able to convert them but it also doesn't mean you get ridiculed either

As for people you don't know though, people that wont have experienced anything of older games like Amiga, these are of course very short sighted and find the idea of playing these systems as hilarious i think for the most
Old 29 October 2009, 23:03   #23
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiesAreBlueGuy View Post
Well I am 18 and I had a Amiga in my childhood for playing games. None of my friends had a Amiga and when I tell them about it they have no idea what I am talking about

After explaining they think it's pretty boring D:

I only knew one other person my age with a Amiga but I haven't talked to him in years.
As Adropac alludes to in his post, I think the fact you are younger than almost all of us probably puts you at a disadvantage as in general the younger you are the less chance you have of people even having heard of the Amiga; I think people my age are probably some of the last to have had a realistic chance of growing up with it. Obviously there's a chance if you are younger of siblings/parents/other relatives having one so coming into contact with it that way.

For some reason I have (completely randomly) been reminded of a 'conversation' I had about three years ago down the pub, with a girl (a friend of a friend I think), in which some bright spark decided to ask me if I was still doing programming on the Amiga (no idea why) and she picked up on this:

Girl: "Wow, you had an Amiga?"
Me: "Yeah, still do."
Girl: "I had one of those! Do you like Oscar, that was brilliant."
Me (rather firmly): "What? Oscar is incredibly crap!"

[Silence, followed by conversations with other people as if nothing had happened]

The words "gift horse" and "mouth" spring strangely to mind.
Old 29 October 2009, 23:10   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
The words "gift horse" and "mouth" spring strangely to mind.
One is much wiser after he realised what was going on in this conversation (I also had some of the kind )
Old 30 October 2009, 00:35   #25
Photon

Well, I think the question should be reversed. I've always found people without a special interest too dull and boring to have as friends I don't care if it's stamp-collecting or building swiss clocks or Amiga, if they have an interest in things other than world news or what they bought recently or everyday things, the larger the chance of doing interesting stuff together rather than rehash everyday things.

In answer to the original question, all my friends are cool with my Amiga interest - but then I have so many other interests as well that I never get anything done with either of them!

Except perhaps one that went all posh and normal on me as soon as he got a salary bump+wife. Could be a side effect of the specific wife in question.

Even my Dad is coming around, after 20 years. Hehehe.
Old 30 October 2009, 00:37   #26
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The only friends I have that know anything about the Amiga are EAB members.

All my real-life friends have no idea what I'm talking about (or what they're missing! ).
Ditto.

Indeed, I have only one 'real world' friend who has any interest in computers of any kind at all!
Old 30 October 2009, 04:34   #27
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
most ppl think I`m a bit wired anyway, got no friends who are left who enjoy the amiga, retro just never comes up and as far as anyone knows its all computers.
got 2 friends left from amiga days but they are pc now.
probably why I spend my days hanging out here and not getting anything done
Old 30 October 2009, 10:09   #28
Sailnet18666

They think that i am wasting time, :P.
Simple interest calculator calculation calculators formula loan calculating rate loans equation rates mortgage compound current high savings account home

Last edited by Sailnet18666; 01 November 2009 at 07:49.

Old 30 October 2009, 15:49   #29
Cammy

I don't have any friends except you guys, what do you think of my Amiga interest?
Old 30 October 2009, 15:58   #30
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I don't have any friends except you guys, what do you think of my Amiga interest?

No friends ? Omg! and I thought I was bad
As for your Amiga interest I think its great - what you have done with your A600 is very impressive.I think you underestimate yourself.

And thats before I have even started on the fact that you have a Risc PC as well *sighs wistfully* - Someone who knows what an "Acorn" is without going "eh?" at the mere mention of the name.

etc

feel better now?
Old 30 October 2009, 16:02   #31
Jonathan Drain

Quote:
Old 30 October 2009, 16:03   #32
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
surely that can't be true

You Amiga interests are awesome, keep up the good work you make me jealous
Old 30 October 2009, 16:05   #33
Cammy

Aww, thanks. All my hard work feels justified now

Okay, one more game of Tracker Hero, then I'm off to bed. We have a big night ahead of us tomorrow!

Happy Halloween
Old 30 October 2009, 16:10   #34
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
surely that can't be true
Well, I suppose I do have friends on other forums too, but none in real life. I just have trouble communicating, and I'm weird. Maybe I'll make a new friend tomorrow when I'm handing out candy!
Old 30 October 2009, 16:13   #35
asm1

Quote:
I just have trouble communicating, and I'm weird.
Me three can we form a club or something ?
Old 30 October 2009, 16:17   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
gives cammy a big hug in an atempt to make her feel better
Old 30 October 2009, 16:19   #37
DH
Global Moderator

Weird you are not!!!! Communicating, you do fine here Surely you can use those qualities in the real world to impress the unsuspecting

I'm sure you'll do fine handing out that candy and, hopefully, make a new real friend
Old 30 October 2009, 16:36   #38
Cammy

Oh no guys, I feel fine. It doesn't really bother me that I have no friends, I have plenty of Amigas to fill the void. I am weird though, but I'm comfortable with that too. I don't think it's bad to be different, at least I'm not a clone conforming to social stereotypes like so many other girls. But of course that's the reason they don't like me, I don't fit in with them and I'd be bored out of my mind shopping for shoes, talking about boys and playing with mobile phones. Communication is also difficult because I'm deaf, and a lot of people assume I'm being rude and ignoring them when I fail to reply when I don't see them speak to me.

Sorry for derailing the thread, let's get back on topic
Old 30 October 2009, 16:43   #39
demusse
Input Needed

At 42 all the "friends" are long gone.
The soulmates that are left love my old crap but sometimes they raise an eyebrow or two when i start about the old amiga days and rant about some pc i have to fix for them.
When they come over and i hook up the 1200 to the tv for some gamefun they all enjoy the retro stuff though. It seems they enjoy themselves more than with their wii's, playstations or xboxes.
Old 30 October 2009, 16:47   #40
asm1

Lightbulb

Quote:
Communication is also difficult because I'm deaf, and a lot of people assume I'm being rude and ignoring them when I fail to reply when I don't see them speak to me.

That explains a lot - I can empathise, I'm not deaf but I do have a disability that is noticeable (Cerebral Palsy) and means that people react "differently", some in a positive and some in a not so positive way. Often because they don't "understand" and it is equally frustrating for me, because I can't make them.... people either get it or they don't (and I Include those that *think* they do in the dont's).

If you need a someone to "talk" to, then feel free to drop a PM.

But yeah I digress from the thread topic..... bleh

Andrew