English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 April 2017, 17:57   #1
Mister-Kyle
Amigacionado!

Eek Rose tinted glasses?

Hi all,

Having recently just come back to the Amiga this year after a long break I was keen to get playing some of the games on the real system rather than an emulator. Thing is though some of games I played a lot and really loved when I was younger are not...shall we say...of the quality and play-ability that I seem to remember. Don't get me wrong Some of them are still fantastic but there are just a few that have been a victim of rose tinted glasses syndrome.

So I was wondering which games where you looking forward to playing again that turned out to actually be bloody awful?

So far I have cringed at Captain Planet, Great Giana sisters, Dune II, Bart Vs The World and even Theme Park (mainly due to graphics and restricted play viewing area - and this was the AGA version).
Old 17 April 2017, 18:10   #2
DamienD
Banned

My identical twin in Sydney suffered from this...

Sent him my WinUAE collection a few years back, he started "It Came from the Desert" and was like "It doesn't look as good as I remember it?"

Mind you, I had to step him through adding scanlines and he was a little happier but still...
Old 17 April 2017, 18:31   #3
nobody

They look and play worse without a CRT and a joystick. It's like playing Gameboy games on 42" LCD. But they're​ meant to be played on a small green blurry LCD screen.
Old 17 April 2017, 18:41   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Game Boy games via Super Game Boy looks pretty good on my Sony Trinitron CRT.

For Amiga games. Can't stand TV sports Basketball anymore. It's complex but the gameplay without the midfield is pretty dull.
Old 17 April 2017, 18:47   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
For Amiga games. Can't stand TV sports Basketball anymore. It's complex but the gameplay without the midfield is pretty dull.
Yes, it's no "NBA Jam" bit still an Amiga classic
Old 17 April 2017, 19:15   #6
Daedalus

Yep, there's a lot nostalgia has to answer for, there are some games I remember pouring hours into back in the day that I just can't get into nowadays.

That said, there were many games that I didn't like back in the day either because they were weren't great, or at least were shown up by their console counterparts. Captain Planet, Giana sisters, Bart, would all be in that category for me, as would the Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and similar games, mainly due to trying to play them with a joystick. But other than not being able to multi-select units, Dune II stands up relatively well.
Old 27 April 2017, 00:39   #7
Kelv

Just found myself in the same situation.
I think winuae has given me unrealistic expectations of the real hardware.
An a500+ or a1200 + aca1221ec doesn't quite meet the usability of a well configured emulated RTG environment for daily use or AlienBreed3DII :s

Now the rose tinted glasses have been well and truly stomped on, trying to refocus on why I started down this route and having some fun building hobby electronics. Let the bank recover a bit and get a dirty pcb's order in
Old 27 April 2017, 02:20   #8
wmaciv

Thought I was the only one...

Spooky you put into words just what has happened to me 15 years after jettisoning a maxed out A3000T and A4000T; owned every model in the day...

Been refurbing a really nice A2000 with WHDLoad games... What happened? A few games are just as good, but most of them are not what I remember.
Old 27 April 2017, 08:23   #9
Jope
-

Yep, many of the games/apps we ran back then weren't that great. But the good things are still good. Better cherish those and forget the crap.
Old 27 April 2017, 08:39   #10
nobody

I use A500 on CRT with ACA 500+ and I think they are fine, I just enjoy it for what it is. Some of them are crap but it's still fun to play eg ghouls n ghosts.
Old 27 April 2017, 09:45   #11
Robbie

I think it might partly be a case of 'we knew no better', but I think playing games back then also required a lot of imagination.

When it first came out people probably found pong immersive.

There are still games I enjoy now though, for some reason I can still play the SWOS Career Mode endlessly, along with Worms, and F1GP.