English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 September 2019, 02:11   #1
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Can anyone fix my a500 and get her back in business?

Is there anyone here with the knowledge to bring my a500 back to full working order and make the case bright again etc? I tried cleaning the disk drive a few years ago. On someone's advice I took the disk drive out. Bad idea. I am not the person to fix computer hardware. The computer did power up though; probably still does. I guess I would need a new power pack sooner or later but the very old one works still...

I don't think anything major is wrong with it but what would I know, lol. Its my original amiga from 1990 and holds sentimental value. I could pay a little or trade some old amiga games instead. The scene took off in my absence; vampire boards, new and decent amiga games in development, inviyya etc.

I am eager to get back into the scene. I am in ireland but can post my miggy to the uk if need be.
Old 12 September 2019, 08:12   #2
solarmon

Post some pictures of it - inside and out.

Explain what cleaning you have done on the disk drive.

First thing to do is inspect for any corrosion and damage. You may have a memory expansion with a battery that has leaked and has caused corrosion and damage.

reseat all the socket chips - use an appropriate tool. Whilst doing that clean the sockets and chips pins.

There are some excellent YouTube videos about fixing and restoring Amigas. I highly recommend the ones from Youtuber GadgetUK164.

There are also plenty of posts that can help you, and a plethora of very knowledgeable people, on this forum. Just search and/or ask - providing as much info and photos as possible.

Good luck!
Old 12 September 2019, 10:57   #3
Daedalus

Where in Ireland are you? There are a few users in the Galway area who are involved in the computing museum there who might be able to help troubleshoot. They might not be able to solve any serious problems, but if it's just a bad floppy drive or cable they could diagnose that by trying a drive and cable from one of their Amigas.
Old 13 September 2019, 02:42   #4
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I used a disk drive cleaning disk with a special liquid. Did not work. I took the disk drive out of the computer. Lol, then I could not reconnect it. A brown filament came loose. Impossible to reattach. Lol. Maybe I should send it to amiga kit or something? I will pull it down tomorrow aand take pictures for ye.
Old 13 September 2019, 11:53   #5
Daedalus

A brown filament? Sounds like part of the power cable... Yeah, a couple of photos would be good, but if it's as simple as a damaged cable, no need to send it anywhere - just get a replacement cable. Fitting the drive is pretty easy once you pay attention to how it should be connected.
Old 16 September 2019, 23:23   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Photos of my Amiga- it needs some love at least- brown filament is gone.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtSWKs9YNIzOs06D...MKw3k?e=BakmjE

Last edited by Adrian Browne; 30 November 2020 at 15:29.
Old 17 September 2019, 00:02   #7
solarmon

Sorry, I still don't understand what this "brown filament" is - please can you explain in more detail, taking a close up photo of it.
Old 18 September 2019, 15:30   #8
CentralPerk

You can order a replacement 4-pin power cable from Amigakit. Make sure you re-attach the ribbon data cable in the correct way as well.
Old 18 September 2019, 15:36   #9
Glen M

If you're near Belfast I don't mind taking a look. I'm not expert but could help troubleshoot at least.
Old 18 September 2019, 15:56   #10
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

One of the pcb's on that floppy drive is at an angle - it's not supposed to be like that; what did you do to it?
Old 18 September 2019, 16:36   #11
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
If you're near Belfast I don't mind taking a look. I'm not expert but could help troubleshoot at least.
Well I am in Kerry but if you could help fix it if you have the skills I could send it to you. I think it was a thin semi transparent plastic that i broke before- its thrashed now. It should be an easy fix with the right tools.

The amiga will surely power up. it just needs some assembly, cleaning, a check-up - I am definitely not the guy to do it. I can part pay/ trade old games for any help. Thanks.
Old 18 September 2019, 16:36   #12
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

With parcel motel i can post anywhere in the u.k cheaply. btw
Old 18 September 2019, 17:35   #13
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
One of the pcb's on that floppy drive is at an angle - it's not supposed to be like that; what did you do to it?
Yeah, looking at the blurry picture it seems like the pins between the rear and front boards are disconnected/broken - that might explain why it is not working.

Provide a better close up picture of that area.
Old 18 September 2019, 18:32   #14
solarmon

Quote:
I think it was a thin semi transparent plastic
If this is meant to mean the ribbon cable for one of the read/write head, then that is a major problem!
Old 19 September 2019, 10:33   #15
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Hi, Maybe source a new floppy drive? Not too expensive. Then bring your iffy drive to Amiga Ireland in January.
Old 24 September 2019, 23:50   #16
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

To Amigakit it is then. I want to sort it and beef it up once its fixed. A few nice amiga games on the horizon.