English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 September 2003, 20:07   #21
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by thinlega
yeee gods.....some people really go to town on whats been cut!!!
Yes thank god for that, often they are the reason company release uncut versions... so gore freaks like myself can get our "satisfaction"
Old 16 September 2003, 20:24   #22
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

"A little over two years ago, two gentlemen from a small joystick company called Amiga paid us a call at the lab. David Morse and David Reisinger had no more than a pitch and a slideshow to show us, but we were impressed by their savvy and their sincerity. They spoke of a custom chipset from Jay Miner, the man who designed the Atari 400/800 chipset. They spoke of graphics and sound of a quality yet unimagined in a personal computer. They spoke of a commitment to an MPU that allowed true multitasking and RAM in excess of 5Mb. I broke the story of the Amiga computer, then code-named Lorraine, to the world back in early 1983."

I am probably going to embarrass myself with my lack of amiga history.........

but is it possible in late 1983/early84 a pre-commodore amiga "super" computer could have been used buy a pixar type company?????
Old 16 September 2003, 21:43   #23
Dizzy
Pirate

a funny little note

"Videodrome: They use the original Atari 800 EXTENSIVELY throughout the movie! Pretty cool! Also in the screen shots of the LaserDisc there is a 2600 joystick on top of a tv." (quote from http://alive.atari.org/alive0/film.html atari in movies)
Old 16 September 2003, 22:49   #24
Amiga1992

Perhaps, but not very probable. They had enough problems to make it run on its own, so I don't think it could have been functional that early, functional enough to make a trailer video.

Dunno what this has been done in though, I would need a Hires trailer to judge the trailer properly. If anybody finds it please post!!!!
Old 17 September 2003, 00:31   #25
Dizzy
Pirate

Your word is my command

http://moviefilmfest.com/html/displa...6&heightIn=400
Old 17 September 2003, 07:00   #26
Amiga1992

Excellent!
Old 22 September 2003, 19:22   #27
Lagerfeldt

Dizzy, considered getting my DVD player "fixed" but it's too risky even thru the Laserdisken approved fiddlers. No room or wish for a 2nd grade R1 player but a good idea I did consider at some point. Guess I'll have to wait for the uncut released in R2 (if ever!)

Judging from the trailer it looks very Amigaish which doesn't make any sense compared with the release date.

Akira, while the C64 indeed did have a fixed pallette of 16 colours, as you probably know it was actually possible to obtain more than the 16 colours, but obviously the resolution and colours here are way, way beyond C64 capabilities.
Old 22 September 2003, 20:11   #28
Dizzy
Pirate

I will wait for Criterions 2 disc release, if it comes....

Lagerfeldt why buy a expensive R2 dvdplayer when R2 is shit compared to R1 all the cool R1 releases you will never get only the shitty R2..... Okay they got better by look at Back to the future box, in R2 you only got half the stuff compared to R1.. Sell the R2 player and buy a R1 player instead....
Old 25 September 2003, 00:47   #29
Lagerfeldt

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
I will wait for Criterions 2 disc release, if it comes....

Lagerfeldt why buy a expensive R2 dvdplayer when R2 is shit compared to R1 all the cool R1 releases you will never get only the shitty R2..... Okay they got better by look at Back to the future box, in R2 you only got half the stuff compared to R1.. Sell the R2 player and buy a R1 player instead....
Hm, maybe I'll get it fixed anyway, can't remember the name of the place... uh, ColorVision, that's it! It's about 1.000 kr. I think.
Old 25 September 2003, 17:06   #30
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Lagerfeldt
Akira, while the C64 indeed did have a fixed pallette of 16 colours, as you probably know it was actually possible to obtain more than the 16 colours, but obviously the resolution and colours here are way, way beyond C64 capabilities.
Yes, with some techniques only democoders created YEARS AHEAD of 1983, and even in that case, they are just combinations of those 16 using interlace modes.

This intro is a mistery :P
Old 25 September 2003, 18:59   #31
FromWithin
Music lord

It was more than likely done using a Quantel Paintbox, released in 1981.

It was like DPaint with a touch-tablet. Did 24-bit and everything. It revolutionized video graphics, and the style of animation looks like stop-motion with computer graphics, again something that reeks of the way the Paintbox worked - it only did single frame pictures, so you had to do animation by writing frames onto video tape just like stop-motion stuff.
Old 07 September 2004, 11:54   #32
§ane

The Criterion release is friggen awesome and me recommends highly!

Ah, the golden age of gore on film, there's no disputing it.

An Atari 800 was tried for some video effects, but from what I gathered, it was never used in the film. The console itself made it into the film as a prop, you'll notice the Joysticks sitting on top of the television quite literally in the flesh.

The second disc provides us with the opportunity to see the uninterrupted Videodrome transmissions and claims that "All vestiges of the Videodrome signal have been filtered out to ensure tumor-free viewing."

Thereafter I began hallucinating and pledging "Long Live The New Flesh!".

I could provide this animated trailer in pristine quality (i.e. VOB format), but I doubt anyone is that interested.

Scanners is my next purchase in the video realm.
Old 07 September 2004, 17:07   #33
Amiga1992

I would love to have that animated intro in some sort of transferrable (ie divx or similar, at a decent size, not necessarily full resolution) video format.
Old 08 September 2004, 02:12   #34
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Well im not sure whos right in this case but am i missing something ???
Is this a nostalga thing about the amiga being used in a film many years ago or am i missing the point ???

The reason i ask is because its fact that Amigas were used to create Babylon 5 and Seaquest DSV ( and probably still is used for Babylon 5 ) So Amigas in films isnt anything new which is why im asking
Old 08 September 2004, 02:31   #35
Amiga1992

Argh the false Babylon 5 data pops up again. Let's straighten it up again, once and for all.

Amigas were used to render the models of the PILOT program of Babylon 5. After they got signed up they threw all that slow garbage to the bin and bought a load of Pentiums, Macs and DEC/Alphas to render. That pilot must have taken them AGES to render on a Lightwave farm of Amiga 2000s!!!

Quote:
"The B5 effects teams, both at Foundation and at NDI, use Lightwave 3D by NewTek and specialized software to design and render the visual effects. For the pilot, the effects were rendered on a network of Amiga computers; later, Foundation used 12 Pentium PCs and 5 DEC Alpha workstations for 3D rendering and design, and 3 Macintoshes for piecing together on-set computer displays. "
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/making/effects.html

This intro seems to have been done completely in the Amiga, if at all. I want to see it to try and track down the real origin of the intro, how it was done.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:08   #36
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Argh the false Babylon 5 data pops up again. Let's straighten it up again, once and for all.
They switched after the first season, not just the pilot, hence the vast difference in quality between the effects in those two seasons.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:23   #37
Amiga1992

Well the link says otherwise, I think in the second season they started using SGI instead.

Then again, whatever
Old 08 September 2004, 16:22   #38
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Well the link says otherwise, I think in the second season they started using SGI instead.

Then again, whatever
yeah and who cares.

But just to make this clear VideoDrome did not have any amiga stuff in it.
Old 08 September 2004, 17:46   #39
Ash
Zone Friend

MMM, gunna find me the criterion DVD then
starts trawling through ebay...
Old 08 September 2004, 19:30   #40
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
But just to make this clear VideoDrome did not have any amiga stuff in it.
yeah but it has a great voice over