English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 February 2016, 17:01   #1
OddbOd

Where have I heard that before?

While watching a YouTube clip earlier today I accidentally clicked on a video of TRSI Megademo and noticed something very strange in the info box, namely the song credit "Nowhere In-Between" by Swagato Gangopadhyay. Never having heard of this guy before and inspired by jizmo's thread about music origins I clicked through to Amazon, thinking that maybe Google's audio fingerprinter had discovered the original, but no quite the opposite, this jerk is apparently selling other people's music as his own.

Scener kids ripping game tunes is one thing but doing it for profit is something entirely different. Has anybody seen such a brazen rip-off as this before?
Old 16 February 2016, 17:07   #2
Amiga1992

Yup, I've seen this many times.
Read this article, for example:
https://chipflip.wordpress.com/2015/...nce-the-1960s/

Some more:
https://chipflip.wordpress.com/plagiarism/
Old 16 February 2016, 18:05   #3
jizmo
Registered Abuser

This is sadly the case. Trying Shazam or Google on misc Amiga mods returns from time to time cases of not just plagiarism, but cases of taking the mods, putting them on some compilation and claiming the credits.

In the most innocent cases this is due to some kid wanting to impress his peers after finding Amiga modules he thinks are so obscure there's no chance of getting caught. In the more blatant cases someone steals the work of others and then distributes them under his name for a small chance to pinch even a few pennies from various music selling portals.

Try to Shazam for example some mods by Diablo / Budbrain.