English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 September 2012, 19:20   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
The search for that elusive last Amiga game

I've had this idea stuck in my head for a while, it's hard to describe but I'll do my best. I believe that even though the Amiga has been my main gaming machine for 25 years, and the fact that I know I've played every title worth playing, there is one more game out there that will blow my mind and get me totally hooked for as many hours a day as I humanly can, for several years. Maybe even forever like Kick Off 2 or IK+.

It doesn't have to be a game that I've never heard of (that's almost impossible at this point), not even one that I've underestimated. I'm pretty sure it's installed in my hard drive (practically every WHDLoad title is). Maybe it's a game I enjoyed playing for a short while then put aside in favor of something else then forgot about it. Maybe it's from a genre I don't usually prefer. Whatever the reasons, I strongly believe that game is our there waiting for me and I won't rest until I find it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Oh and one more thing, kindly keep this thread Amiga only please. I hate it when I start a thread in the English AMIGA Board and it ends up being about anything from 70s Pong consoles to Wii U.

Last edited by alkis21; 20 September 2012 at 19:28.
Old 20 September 2012, 21:06   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Try Goal! Sorry dude, I just couldn't resist.
Old 20 September 2012, 21:40   #3
Marcuz

Nothing beats the 70s Pong consoles, though.
Old 20 September 2012, 22:45   #4
Djay
95th User

I have to say Tetris is my favourite game of all time!

I have played it for years and still find better ways of completing it... Depending how good you get at it, you feel that you have learned and improved your skills...

So an Amiga and Tetris would be perfect for me... it just might not be an official version of Tetris though

I hope someone else sees how this answers your question... i think Akira understands
Old 20 September 2012, 23:14   #5
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Try Goal! Sorry dude, I just couldn't resist.
Somehow I don't think that's the one.
Old 20 September 2012, 23:18   #6
robinsonb5

The ones that keep me interested most are the ones with subtle mouse controls - Vaxine and Zeewolf 2 are the two I keep going back to.

And yes, I know what you mean - that feeling of "my search isn't over yet - I haven't looked hard enough" is why i don't like the idea of semantic, metadata-based searching of computer filesystems - you never know whether you've exhausted all possibilities.

Oh - Deflektor's another game that still keeps me coming back for more, 20 years on
Old 20 September 2012, 23:30   #7
seuden
uber cool demi god

I always find myself returning to the same ol' games everytime. I just don't give other Amiga games a chance. I think it's time tho, I don't really have much of it to learn a new game.
Old 21 September 2012, 10:36   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Have you tried King's Bounty? It's a predecessor to the Heroes of Might & Magic series on the Amiga and isn't particularly well known. However, there was a recent PC version, which has raised its profile somewhat.
Old 21 September 2012, 13:30   #9
alkis21
Zone Friend

Thank you, but it belongs to one of the genres that generally don't appeal to me. I almost never play Strategy games or RPGs.
Old 21 September 2012, 14:09   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Thank you, but it belongs to one of the genres that generally don't appeal to me. I almost never play Strategy games or RPGs.
...but that elusive last Amiga game may well be a strategy or RPG game?
Old 21 September 2012, 14:13   #11
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Deluxe Galaga
Old 21 September 2012, 14:18   #12
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
...but that elusive last Amiga game may well be a strategy or RPG game?
That's a possibility I guess. However, I've tried many of the classics of these genres (Civilization, Eye of the Beholder etc.) and although I recognize their quality, they're just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Deluxe Galaga
Nope, it's one of my all time favorites, so it can't be the one that got away.

I'm thinking of giving The Settlers a generous try soon!
Old 21 September 2012, 16:45   #13
JudasEZT

At nineties I though I found that game with MetalLaw. Soon I discovered it werent.
Old 21 September 2012, 18:09   #14
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

If you're at all of a mind to enjoy strategy/management games, Ports of Call was my family's addiction for quite some time.
Old 21 September 2012, 19:35   #15
alkis21
Zone Friend

Would you say it's an easy game? Because I am a complete novice when it comes to strategy games, I played Dune 2 when it came out and that's about it.
Old 21 September 2012, 20:04   #16
khph_re

interesting thread, but difficult to know what genres you like, and what you've played.

heres a few:

armourgeddon, tower of babel, minskies furballs, k240, sneech, trick or treat.
Old 21 September 2012, 22:12   #17
frikilokooo

4D Sports Driving may surprise you what they were able to make,much better than Test Drive saga.
Old 21 September 2012, 22:26   #18
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
interesting thread, but difficult to know what genres you like, and what you've played.
I started this thread more as a philosophical discussion than to get suggestions, so that''s OK. But since you asked, I like every Amiga game genre except for strategies, RPGs and simulators.
Old 21 September 2012, 23:52   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

My 'discovery' was Mega Twins back in 2006 or so. One game that I never heard of 'back in the day' and really enjoyed to play. It's amazing to find those new-old games and getting quite addicted to them
Old 22 September 2012, 00:46   #20
Dunny

Your dislike of specific genres will serve you ill. I have an anecdote that may help:

For as long as I can recall, I've detested those kinds of RPGs that present combat as turn-based, where the rest of the game is realtime movement based. The most common of these are Japanese RPGs, such as the abysmal Final Fantasy games and a whole swathe of others. I dislike their art style (let's face it, the only reason you'd put large eyes on a busty female dressed in a school uniform is to appeal to the paedophiles), and I dislike their god-awful storytelling with their dull conversations which require you to press a button to advance one pageful of mindless drivel at a time.

A while ago, I was trawling my ROM lists for a game to play. On a whim, I decided that I'd give an RPG a try, and settled on Earthbound. A lot of fuss was made over this game some time ago, and because of the reasons laid out above I'd never really considered it. Well, it couldn't hurt to try it just for a few minutes, no?

I was still playing it four hours later. It was fantastic. It prompted me to try other more serious jRPGs and take them more seriously. They were just as bad as I'd imagined though, so the genre is still tainted for me. But if I hadn't taken the chance, I'd never have found this amazing little gem of a game in amongst all that disturbing garbage of a genre.

To that end, give the RPGs and Strategy games a try. If what you say is true, then I suspect you've never given Carrier Command (or F/A-18 Interceptor) a fair crack of the whip; what do you have to lose by firing it up and devoting a couple of hours this weekend to it?

D.