English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 May 2010, 02:21   #1
Leandro Jardim

About AmiTCP on WinUAE

Hi, excuse my lack of knowledge about Internet on Amiga... I was only a user of Amiga 2000/500 1.3 in 90 decade, and I am no more, today I use WinUAE...

I can use AmiTCP in place of WinUAE bsdsocket.library? How I configure it? I have Internet on my Windows, can I simply use the same the configuration for AmiTCP? If so, how can I copy the configuration of TCP/IP of Windows? Windows allows any user to see this configuration?

I know AmiTCP 3.0b2 is free and disponible to download, but what about newer versions of it? They are free also? I do not want anyone infringe the law for me!

Thanks!
Old 15 May 2010, 10:46   #2
Hewitson

What on earth is wrong with the UAE implementation of bsdsocket.library?

You won't get AmiTCP (or any other stack) to work.
Old 15 May 2010, 10:54   #3
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You need to install WinPcap on the Windows side. Disable bsdsocket emu in winuae and enable uaenet.device (both on Expansions tab). Then you can install a tcp/ip program on the Amiga side. Setup up the tcp/ip prog to use sana device - uaenet.device unit 0 and set an ip different from the host (windows) so that it appears as a seperate machine on the network.

All amiga net apps should work as if they were running native on amiga now.

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 15 May 2010 at 15:42.
Old 15 May 2010, 13:18   #4
Hewitson

Wow, I didn't know that was possible. Is this a WinUAE only feature?

I still ask the question, why?
Old 15 May 2010, 14:38   #5
Leandro Jardim

For the same reason which we are using an emulator for an obsolescent computer! In other words, to make a native configuration near identical to a real Amiga. And to test WinUAE.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 15 May 2010 at 16:21.
Old 15 May 2010, 14:56   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I really recommend having separate physical NIC for WinUAE use if you plan to use uaenet.device or A2065 emulation. WinUAE will steal your Windows allocated IP if both use DHCP for example

It isn't as nice as virtual NICs that come with virtualization software, maybe when/if there is virtual NIC driver that can be used by other applications.

IMO it is not normally worth the trouble if you don't need device level access.
Old 15 May 2010, 16:00   #7
Leandro Jardim

I configured Genesis of AmigaOS 3.9 and installed Boing Bags 1, 2, 3 and 4. When I try to connect to the internet, the screen gets black and blinks. AmigaOS appears not crash. It happens with any combination of Boing Bags. I disabled "cycle exact" and it stopped to blink. And Genesis appears to connect normally, but AWeb 3.5 not loads any pages. Exists a solution for these problems?

PS: Why to use cycle exact A1200? Blah...

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 15 May 2010 at 16:37.
Old 15 May 2010, 17:05   #8
thomas

Quote:
Genesis appears to connect normally, but AWeb 3.5 not loads any pages.
You should first learn how to configure TCP/IP on the Amiga before you try to do it on WinUAE. If you try to do both at once, you won't find out where the problem is. One step at a time.

Quote:
Exists a solution for these problems?
You probably forgot to configure a DNS in Genesis. As said above: first learn TCP/IP, then learn WinUAE, not both at the same time.
Old 19 May 2010, 01:21   #9
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Wow, I didn't know that was possible. Is this a WinUAE only feature?

I still ask the question, why?
One of these days when I am less lazy I want to try and get this working. I run a BBS (Ami-Express) on my A1200 in my office but would rather throw it on a netbook or old PC laptop running WINUAE and throw it up in my closet by my router. The BBS requires a "real" sana device.
Old 19 May 2010, 02:57   #10
Leandro Jardim

Wow, so it should be hard. What are the difficulties I must pass to configure Genesis? Say, I need some information which only my Internet provider can give me, no? I am getting lazy also...
Old 19 May 2010, 04:55   #11
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Wow, so it should be hard. What are the difficulties I must pass to configure Genesis? Say, I need some information which only my Internet provider can give me, no? I am getting lazy also...
As previously stated, learn to configure Miami DX, Genesis, Ami-TCP or whatever on a real Amiga before tackling setting them up in WinUAE if possible. I am a network / systems engineer by trade and have been working with TCP/IP for almost 20 years and it took me a week or two of reading forums here to get my Amiga on the internet and answering incoming telnet sessions from my BBS. With that said I don't have the free brain power to mess with WinPcap right now and I imagine if you don't have ground level knowledge of how TCP/IP and DNS workings, setting this stuff up in WinUAE is going to be next to impossible.

It would be cool though if one of the pre-packaged OS systems like ClassicWB or something could tackle this!
Old 19 May 2010, 08:08   #12
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
It's not difficult. You just need to know what you need to do before you start. For example, get the manual for your DSL router, read the section about how to manually configure a network connection without DHCP for Windows 98, translate the nice words used in Windows into the real technical terms and then read the instructions of AmiTCP. You'll see that it's all the same.

As said above, you probably forgot to configure a DNS. But this is a TCP/IP setting, it has nothing to do with Winuae.
In Genesis the DNS config is made on the "Resolve" tab which is the rightmost one in the interface configuration. You should be able to use the IP address of the router as DNS.
Old 20 May 2010, 16:52   #13
Leandro Jardim

Now I configured the DNS correctly and Genesis works as I expected. One problem though, is that the screen flashes constantly in cycle exact, but is good to know it will work. Good work Toni. The progress of UAE in general with you is remarkable. I think we all are happy with the progress of WinUAE.