English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2005, 13:00   #1
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles

Is there a difference between those two Turtles games apart from the graphics?

http://hol.abime.net/1335
http://hol.abime.net/1333

Or how come one game needs only 1 disk whereas the other one needs 3? Bad coding? More levels?
Old 22 June 2005, 13:06   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Different games

Hero is based on the cartoon
Ninja is based on the movies
Old 22 June 2005, 13:38   #3
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Totally wrong Bippy!

The games are based on the same NES game, but were developed by different teams, the Ninja/Hero thing is a US/European thing, for some reason the word Ninja was considered too violent to be used over here...
Old 22 June 2005, 14:56   #4
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
So why couldn't Konami ask the same team to exchange the title? How come one team gets the whole game to fit on one disk while the other needs three for this?
Old 23 July 2014, 10:38   #5
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It does seem like a major waste of resources to have two separate teams coding the same game. I noticed in one, up doesn't do anything on its own - you have to hold down the fire button and then push in the direction you want to jump in, the same fire button that swings your weapon. Very unnatural if you ask me.

Also when you use your weapon it often seems to poke the air either too high or too low to trouble your enemies.

Anyway, they're both pretty poor games, but I'm also curious to know the inside scoop behind the madness. Kind of reminds me of the shoddy coding that went into Dragon Ninja where the programmer forgot to implement the ability to jump. Bit of an oversight that!
Old 23 July 2014, 13:25   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
It does seem like a major waste of resources to have two separate teams coding the same game. I noticed in one, up doesn't do anything on its own - you have to hold down the fire button and then push in the direction you want to jump in, the same fire button that swings your weapon. Very unnatural if you ask me.

Also when you use your weapon it often seems to poke the air either too high or too low to trouble your enemies.

Anyway, they're both pretty poor games, but I'm also curious to know the inside scoop behind the madness. Kind of reminds me of the shoddy coding that went into Dragon Ninja where the programmer forgot to implement the ability to jump. Bit of an oversight that!
Believe it or not you can jump in dragon ninja. You need to be at the absolute pixel edge of a platform and then jump. The landing has a two or three pixel margin for error. Nonsense and very frustarting but it just about works.
Back in the day the developers called to the amiga power offices in a huff due to them claiming jumping was not possible, in their review. The guy played the game in front of them to illustrate his point.

I had this game on the hit squad label, actually I still have it.
Old 23 July 2014, 15:24   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

That's where I read it - I've never actually played the Amiga version of the game myself. Interesting... was a retraction ever printed? It's easy to see how they would have assumed that jumping isn't possible if the ability is only enabled under very specific conditions.
Old 20 July 2015, 20:09   #8
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Almost a year later I was reading the news section of Amiga Power issue 13 when I came across the attached (half) apology.

You know somehow I always got the impression Stuart Campbell wasn't a massive fan of the book, 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-07-20 19:01:56.png
Views:	225
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	44780  
Old 21 July 2015, 10:26   #9
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

The full review and retraction are in this trivia article on the Amiga Mag Rack.
Old 21 July 2015, 22:26   #10
DisposableHero

I think there are other cases of the same game being coded twice, once in the US and once in Europe (usually the UK), for both Amiga and C64. Bionic Commando, for C64 at least?

Never played Dragon Ninja, but it doesn't sound like a control system you could work out easily - and certainly not an easy-to-use one. Stuart Campbell was a brilliant award-winning player, but his tolerance for unusual control systems was often low - his comments on Kick Off 2 and Forgotten Worlds also come to mind.
Old 22 July 2015, 09:03   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
There is a story behind this game. The retail release has the jump fault, which has been corrected in the les justiciers compilation, but also in the ninja collection compilation, offering both the revision 2 of this program. The hit squad version mentionned above by Adrian Browne is the revision 2.
Old 22 July 2015, 09:32   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I had hit squad version this game is ruined, in the arcade you can do a full side jump not justa little hop.