English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 February 2010, 14:58   #1
mancalledSun

Mixing Retr0Bright safely without a blender?

I know there's a sticky, but this is specific. And probably quite important I get it right (primarily for safety reasons!).

I'm about to make my first batch of paste but I don't have a blender that I'm willing to use (or buy) just to mix it. Has anybody mixed it manually by shaking it up in a bottle or say a protein supplement shaker?

Is explosive pressure a danger? I will be wearing the obvious protection.

Old 04 February 2010, 17:23   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@mancalledSun

have a read here and also have a lookie here =)

The paste / gel can be whipped together with a fork or spoon, or even a whisk, just make sure you wear protection for your hands / skin and eyes.

Notes about the Gel/Paste

As the gel/paste dries, this increases the concentration of the peroxide - if left unchecked the percentage of peroxide will soar high enough to state attacking the plastic (the butadine bonds) - this will leave a bloom effect on the plastic

It is best to re-apply atleast every 45-60 minutes pending on your coating thickness

There is no REAL danger of explosion the percentages of peroxide used are quite low, as such the reaction yield of produce hydrogen wont directly be dangerious -

If however you leave the reaction bottled up there will be a mild pressure generated, this will be hydrogen, so keep it away from a nakid flame

So you can shake and or stir your mixure, just dont leave it reacting in a tight space.

Remember this is a SLOW process, infact for the most part - Slower the better, this way you will have more controll

think about it.... the plastic has taken many years to get to the state that it is in now so 7 days to reverse it is a good place to start.
Old 04 February 2010, 17:36   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
No pressure while you don't put the TAED/Vanish/Another_Laundry_Booster_Of_Your_Choice.
Old 04 February 2010, 19:45   #4
mancalledSun

Just what I needed. Thanks both.

I'll show the before and afters in a couple of weeks.