English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 September 2014, 21:11   #1
kkhard

OS3.9 progs on OS4.1

i am a total newb to os4.1. i bought it thinking it would run os3.9 programs "as is". Petunia and the other built-in emulator is supposed to "just work out of the box". i can't get RunInUAE to install correctly.

my program won't even start. says "stack overflow".

is there something i am supposed to set up? the roms are in the emulation folder. what am i missing?

Old 04 September 2014, 01:02   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhard View Post
i am a total newb to os4.1. i bought it thinking it would run os3.9 programs "as is". Petunia and the other built-in emulator is supposed to "just work out of the box". i can't get RunInUAE to install correctly.

my program won't even start. says "stack overflow".

is there something i am supposed to set up? the roms are in the emulation folder. what am i missing?

RunInUAE should install with Amiupdate, once thats istalled all you do is double click program / adf etc etc and it should run UAE.

Its also a good idea to set stack to 8192 in workbench prefs.
Old 06 September 2014, 02:28   #3
kkhard

i was under the impression that m68k programs would run if "they were written properly and didn't access the custom chips". i got 1 program to start, but it didn't like an old library. i will keep trying.....
Old 06 September 2014, 10:23   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhard View Post
i was under the impression that m68k programs would run if "they were written properly and didn't access the custom chips". i got 1 program to start, but it didn't like an old library. i will keep trying.....
They should using petunia, but you can just use RUNinUAE.
Old 06 September 2014, 15:16   #5
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

If they access any OS3.5/3.9 functionality they are unlikely to run natively under OS4.
Old 07 September 2014, 16:28   #6
MickJT

Seeing as this thread is in support.WinUAE, if you're running 68k programs under OS4.1 within WinUAE, the PearPC core is missing things that can cause random crashes in PPC and 68k-emulated programs. The QEMU core hopefully will fix that.
Old 07 September 2014, 18:22   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
Seeing as this thread is in support.WinUAE, if you're running 68k programs under OS4.1 within WinUAE, the PearPC core is missing things that can cause random crashes in PPC and 68k-emulated programs. The QEMU core hopefully will fix that.
Doh, good point.
Didn't think any one would even try to do this in WinUAE.
Old 07 September 2014, 20:55   #8
utri007
mä vaan

They should run just fine. 99% of productivity software just work and they are fast.

There is something wron in you installation. Have you run amiupdate from system folder?
Old 08 September 2014, 04:11   #9
kkhard

yes, running in WinUAE. hopefully MickJT is correct. got some DOS only programs to work. QEMU will hopefully get the rest to work.

i still can't get RunInUAE to install. locks up right at start of install.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:53   #10
ajk

PPC support in WinUAE is what, a few weeks old now? Don't expect too much too soon Most system legal 3.x programs do run fine in 4.x on the actual hardware so I'm sure we'll get there eventually.
Old 08 September 2014, 08:17   #11
MickJT

RunInUAE can be installed if you put rexxsyslib.library in the Compatibility list (SYS:Prefs/Compatibility). You normally don't need to do this, but it allows installation under the PearPC core. I'm not sure if you need to then do a reboot before install. You might need to remove and re-add after system updates as well.

E-UAE itself though still won't work yet under the PearPC core. So, there's no point in installing RunInUAE anyway. Wait until the QEMU core is ready. I suspect it'll still be way too slow to do much of anything. On my Sam440ep-Flex @ 800mhz, I have to set frameskip to 1 to run any game without stuttering.

As for running 68k applications via Petunia, that should be OK under the QEMU core.
Old 13 September 2014, 23:13   #12
mritter0

With latest beta I got some of my programs to run. Yeah! Not using RunInUAE. I think that is more for games.
Old 13 September 2014, 23:52   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
RunInUAE can be installed if you put rexxsyslib.library in the Compatibility list (SYS:Prefs/Compatibility). You normally don't need to do this, but it allows installation under the PearPC core. I'm not sure if you need to then do a reboot before install. You might need to remove and re-add after system updates as well.

E-UAE itself though still won't work yet under the PearPC core. So, there's no point in installing RunInUAE anyway. Wait until the QEMU core is ready. I suspect it'll still be way too slow to do much of anything. On my Sam440ep-Flex @ 800mhz, I have to set frameskip to 1 to run any game without stuttering.

As for running 68k applications via Petunia, that should be OK under the QEMU core.
RunInUAE installs fine without any compatability settings with QEMU.
Old 14 September 2014, 02:17   #14
kkhard

sweet! mine are working too! toni rocks!