English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 29 August 2003, 17:26   #1
Amiga1992

Amiga Games That Weren't !! What is it?

I have been in contact with Frank Gasking (of Commodore C64 Games That Weren't fame) and he has agreed to help out if we start an Amiga GTW venture.

so I'm startiing things up for knocking up an AGTW site and organizating it a bit. I will post news about it here.

Frank will be sharing contact info in the case he finds out the people he contacts also worked on unpublished Amiga games, and we would be doing the same with C64 stuff we might find incidentally. Also, the news sections would be crosslinked, mentioning updates in both AGTW and C64GTW.

For now this is all we have discussed, and Frank might already have some important info on another lost Amiga game, so this is off to a good start. And with the recent discovery of Liquid Kids, we're bound to find good things I say!

I'm very enthusiastic about this.

Of course, this project would be an affilliate of the future Amiga collective project, whenever it starts up The information we get would also be instantaneously available to the HOL and CAPS projects.

Let's sinergize peeps. No more of that fighting shit I;ve seen in the Amiga scene
Old 29 August 2003, 17:33   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

Old 29 August 2003, 17:36   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Nice one Akira.

Very commendable of you to offer your services.
Old 29 August 2003, 18:16   #4
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Cool

Great news Akira, this sort of collective co-operation,(exchanging info/contacts etc) is the sort of thing that can only help track down the "lost" classics,or indeed oldtime developers,(for interviews GTW style).
Old 29 August 2003, 20:57   #5
the wolf
Just Leeching

Well done, Akira.
I recently mailed to Frank for a couple of unreleased C64 games, and I've mentioned about your proposal.
Very happy to hear this good news.
We have to cooperate all together with any infos we can find.

I'm currently scanning all the previews/screenshots I have in my mags collection, it's all I can do.

Watch out for example the OceanFranceUnreleased scan I posted in The Zone. There are pics of Liquid Kids and Snow Bros, so someone got those disks, 12 years ago, it means that someone could have spreaded it, somewhere...and look for the pics of Addams Family... the graphics is different! Maybe a beta?

So, for all readers of this post:

IF YOU HAVE INFOS, SCREENSHOTS, ADVERTS, ANYTHING ELSE WHO CAN LEGITIMATE AN EXISTING AMIGA GAME, FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS MEGA-PROJECT! WE NEED YOU!!!
Old 30 August 2003, 00:43   #6
Marlon

The Wolf; regarding Adams Family - the screenshots you've seen might be from the Snes version (which features a parallax-scrolling background). Although I remember Amiga Power (who featured an early shot os the Snes version - they DID tell readers that it was a Snes shot) confirming that an earlier Amiga version ALSO had the parallax scrolling but this was dropped in favour of a larger playing window. It WOULD be good to see the first beta; IF it exsists.
Old 30 August 2003, 01:06   #7
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlon
The Wolf; regarding Adams Family - the screenshots you've seen might be from the Snes version (which features a parallax-scrolling background). Although I remember Amiga Power (who featured an early shot os the Snes version - they DID tell readers that it was a Snes shot) confirming that an earlier Amiga version ALSO had the parallax scrolling but this was dropped in favour of a larger playing window. It WOULD be good to see the first beta; IF it exsists.
Hmmm... sorry but I really don't believe than a serious mag like The Games Machine (italian), talk about an Amiga game, putting some pics of another system...and however they never cheated (only for a preview they used SNES screenshots because the game was nearly finished but they failed to have the disks in time for the issue)
It's easy to think that someone at Ocean give them the disks...
Time ago, TGM was *VERY* inside the Amiga games... they got many unreleased pics never see in other mags...
Unfortunately, I tried to contact someone of them, but they tell me the Amiga yeras were passed away and they have throw away all the disks!!!

Addams Family beta: a new case for Amiga GTW!!!
Old 30 August 2003, 01:49   #8
Marlon

I'm not saying that the screenshot in the Italian mag definitely was a Snes shot, only that it MIGHT be. It's identical to one of the two or three that were in the Amiga Power Ocean article which, as I said, were Snes screenshots. There definitely was an early Amiga version and maybe that looked identical to the Snes one? Maybe that "Campbell" man can shed some light on things? And in case you DO read this Stuart; do you still have THE haircut? Just wondered...
Old 30 August 2003, 03:48   #9
Amiga1992

The Wolf is actually right. I've seen preview pics of addams Family Amiga and they GOT the parallax scroll. Dunno why they took' em out. I have been looking for this version for ages.

Frank told me that you contacted him, wolf. I forgot to mention that in my original post. And your help is most welcome, I already had you in the "team"

Let me arrange my ideas in my head and I will posty more later. I already started brainstorming over this and the website is already in dev phase (ie I started drawing it in my sketchbook, step 1 as always )
Old 30 August 2003, 07:00   #10
Amiga1992

Downloaded the file that The wolf upped to the zone... and I extracted the screenshots from it, for use in the site. Ta very muchly!

As far as I remember (the mags are not here with me at the moment), Amiga Power also showed pictures for Addams Family AMIGA with parallax. If you download the file that wolf uploaded, you will notice the immense lack of colours in the second plane, therefore it confirms it IS the Amiga version being screenshotted, and I think I remember the AP screenshots looking the same. As I said, can't confirm, but someone with issue 10 (or was it 11?) could confirm it for me.

Still brainstorming, will post results at the end of the weekend I presume.
Old 30 August 2003, 08:50   #11
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Frank told me that you contacted him, wolf. I forgot to mention that in my original post. And your help is most welcome, I already had you in the "team"
Thank you, Akira.
This idea of Amiga GTW is in my head from a long time, just to mention one of my first posts is just about this!
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...es+that+werent
I really hope the project can be started because I believe in this and I think we still can make a great job (with the help of anyone), like Frank's site!

Regarding Addams Family:
Lack of colours in second plane??? What second plane? They have completely removed the background!!! It's just all black and nothing else!!!

@ Marlon:
there was a misunderstanding...
You never said that the screenshot in the Italian mag WAS a Snes shot, but I never said you are wrong!
Old 30 August 2003, 15:44   #12
Bernd

Quote:
so I'm startiing things up for knocking up an AGTW site and organizating it a bit. I will post
news about it here.
Great to hear. That sounds very promising.
I await how the site will develop and I will gladly provide any comments, material etc. later on.
I am also optimistic to find some potential interview partners. But in this phase I really
don't want to interphere...

Looking forward to reading further AGTW news from you Good luck for now...
Old 30 August 2003, 16:29   #13
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

I did see the shots you upped to The Zone & they looked like ones I'd seen in a preview/WIP in The One. Issue 42 March 1992. (No scanner to scan it unfortunately!). It too has these screenshots though no exact mention if their SNES or Amiga shots.
In that same interview with the programmers though, they DID make mention of an earlier version of the Addams Family.
Design work started in April 1991 but as the game was starting to take shape they were taken off to do the Super Famicom console version.
This was finished in Nov. 1991, & the team went back to the computer versions. Due to changes etc. in game design,they scrapped the originally planned version & made the Amiga game based on the SNES version.

Interestingly,the programmer made comments about the old source code,(the pre-SNES version),"Not being colourful enough, there was no parallax scrolling,& the game felt slower because we had to move down from 60 frames a second to 50. Basically we'd got so used to how the Famicom version played that we didn't want to go back".
Old 30 August 2003, 17:38   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by the wolf Regarding Addams Family:
Lack of colours in second plane??? What second plane? They have completely removed the background!!! It's just all black and nothing else!!!
I was talking about the preview screenshots which show parallax They clearly show they are NOT the SNES version.

Thank you Bernd for the suport, I really do hope you join us in our quest!

One of the titles mentioned by The Wolf in that other thread, might be released soon perhaps?Don't want to say much for now really
Old 30 August 2003, 19:11   #15
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

there are a few screenshots of some unreleased stuff on this thread...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=rookies

I hope we can find some info on FRAK! I would love the amiga version......
Old 30 August 2003, 20:02   #16
Amiga1992

Most helpful bro.

I will apreciate all this material to be sent to * [censored in fear of spambots crawling through the EAB). Give the address a couple of hours to get into work.

No sp4m pr0n shit please
whenever I get back to my parents' houseI will get some mags with screenies of unreleased games. Anybody remember Miracle Bat? Looked good and complete.

[edit] email addy working just fine alredy, so send away!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 14 August 2017 at 20:10.
Old 31 August 2003, 14:38   #17
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

@thinglea. Thanks for finding that old thread,completely forgot about it,made for great historical reading!

The One had a lengthy WIP of Wing Commander,where they spoke to Nick Pelling & briefly made mention at the finish about Frak 3D. He seemed half-hearted about returning to it,so it seems questionable about how much game design was actually finished-he ended up using the 3D techniques learnt as a result though when approaching the Amiga Wing Commander conversion.

Has any of the mags actually stated those early Addams Family shots were for the Amiga though, what are the SNES shots like for comparison? The parallax backround would've have to been dropped for the speed surely? (this was made pre-AGA days after all)

That mention about Digital Illusions game Hardcore makes for interesting reading though, maybe that could be one of the games added to the list to chase!

Last edited by 7-Zark-7; 31 August 2003 at 16:43.
Old 31 August 2003, 16:21   #18
the wolf
Just Leeching

Ok Akira. So when we start?
We had to fill in an incredible amount of titles...
And I have many screenshots to organize...
Old 31 August 2003, 22:58   #19
Amiga1992

We started already
Anything you might have, feel free to drop by email to the aforementioned addy.
Old 01 September 2003, 04:19   #20
Amiga1992

Okay.

Test site. Send stuff so I finish it ! I;m laying out most sections

Last edited by Amiga1992; 14 August 2017 at 20:10.