English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 23 July 2017, 15:58   #1
sandruzzo

Vampire Games

What Kind of game would you like to see on that Card? Can would be possible to do?
Old 23 July 2017, 16:17   #2
Gzegzolka

All kind of game ports, 3d games that would normally benefit from acceleration card. Maybe games made with backbone so they could run at good speed and look more impressive. Eventually games that look like classic amiga game but are full of special effects that normally would be hard to achieve without serious magic like SegaCD levels from Chuck Rock 2 that was cut on amiga version or Misadventures of Lomax from PSX.

For normal classic amiga games that was made with amiga hardware limitations there is no need to have Vampire.
Old 23 July 2017, 17:13   #3
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
as few as possible.

why make a game that 20 people can play.
At least as long as the annual output of Amiga games are <10.
Old 23 July 2017, 19:05   #4
Aladin

perhaps a good new 2D enhanced driving game
Old 23 July 2017, 21:50   #5
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

AGA is handy enough for most purposes and the Gold 3 core will be handy to add AGA to older systems. I hope AMMX is encapsulated in drivers for a while so it will be reusable by many applications while the applications themselves can run on an overclocked '060 if necessary.
Old 23 July 2017, 22:45   #6
Cylon

Whatever game, but make sure you don't limit it running only on Vampire, even if it's faster than 060/RTG.
Old 24 July 2017, 00:27   #7
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
AGA is handy enough for most purposes and the Gold 3 core will be handy to add AGA to older systems.
AGA was never handy enough, it was underpowered even in 1992...

I think that such game should utilize RTG for bigger resolution and possibly more colors and speed of Vampire card.
Such games could also run on Amigas with RTG and 040/060 or UAE.

Last edited by prowler; 24 July 2017 at 21:44. Reason: Cleanup.
Old 24 July 2017, 07:51   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Any.
Old 24 July 2017, 10:33   #9
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
maybe you should take another pill and return where you came from...

AGA was never handy enough, it was underpowered even in 1992...

I think that such game should utilize RTG for bigger resolution and possibly more colors and speed of Vampire card.
Such games could also run on Amigas with RTG and 040/060 or UAE.
SAGA should blit faster than AGA.

Anyway, if you do decide to do a Hollywood game for the high color depths, I can possibly help out. If in assembly, keep it simple instead.
Old 24 July 2017, 12:37   #10
Overflow

I enjoy platformers like Bruce Lee, Montezumas Revenge, Rainbow Island, Addams Familly or espesially Wonderboy [ Show youtube player ] Games with timers and bonus scores based on what time you got left on completion of a level is excellent for competative gameplay amongst friends.
Back in my youth (and even now) we played Mario Brother and Wonderboy to death trying to beat eachothers score/time, since the endscore is based on how quick you finish a level.

Then you got shoot em ups like Salamander, Zynaps and R-Type.

Thats quick and fun games, you can play without reserving hours each time.
Old 24 July 2017, 13:21   #11
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I enjoy platformers like Bruce Lee, Montezumas Revenge, Rainbow Island, Addams Familly or espesially Wonderboy [ Show youtube player ] Games with timers and bonus scores based on what time you got left on completion of a level is excellent for competative gameplay amongst friends.
Back in my youth (and even now) we played Mario Brother and Wonderboy to death trying to beat eachothers score/time, since the endscore is based on how quick you finish a level.

Then you got shoot em ups like Salamander, Zynaps and R-Type.

Thats quick and fun games, you can play without reserving hours each time.
Try anything from Sqrxz series then.
Old 24 July 2017, 13:54   #12
Gzegzolka

Sqrxz is classic amiga game that do not need Vampire. I think we are changing topic of this post a bit. So are we talking about games that require and will only work on Vampire? Like Vampire would be new standard for amiga gaming - like OCS/ECS/AGA/Vampire or just Amiga that is expanded?
Old 24 July 2017, 14:32   #13
Overflow

OR [ Show youtube player ] Blagger from c64.

Thanks for the link Predseda

Well, the Vampire is more powerful, with added features. If you want to go nuts with requests, you could go for something like Simulcra with better graphics for example. But that probably require more than a bedroom coder can handle...?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 July 2017, 14:33   #14
Photon

I'm pretty sure there are more than 20 Vampire boards made.

There are more than 10 games coming out annually, actually, it's just about willingness and interest to run them. Most require accelerated A1200 and some are for RTG modes, and some are of course not as good as our favorites (that's why they are our favorites), but if you have the specs you can try them. I don't know if the Vampire can run them.

If you mean specifically made for Vampire, I guess something like texture-mapped polygons on RTG would show it off the best?

Last edited by Photon; 24 July 2017 at 19:41.
Old 24 July 2017, 15:21   #15
Daedalus

Does the Vampire have hardware acceleration in its RTG implementation yet? I'm not sure texture-mapped polygons would be a plus point really unless you're talking about software rendering, and even then the bare framebuffer, while significantly faster than AGA, is still slower than a dedicated RTG setup for example.

I would say the best bet would be the likes of what we've already seen - SDL-type games where the Vampire has enough grunt to overcome the demands of the engine, with lots of colourful, software-rendered bitmap imagery. There are many examples in the PC world that could be good candidates, particularly those indie games that often show up on Linux.
Old 24 July 2017, 15:31   #16
gulliver
BoingBagged

Just develop for AmigOS 3.1 following clean programming techniques and you can have your game run on any amigoid platform: Vampire-Apollo, AmigaOne-PPC, MorphOS, Amithlon and even traditional Amigas.

The point in excluding platforms for the sake of it, seems pretty disturbing and anti-community like. I have witnessed lots of programmers have been doing this and the end result is that they weaken the even more fragile/incipient status of their favourite platform they intend to push forward. I hope these developers change their minds and start to work together instead of doing it against each other.

Last edited by gulliver; 24 July 2017 at 15:43. Reason: typo
Old 24 July 2017, 17:07   #17
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Can would be possible to do?
I guess it could do things like these

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 July 2017, 17:56   #18
Amiga1992

I would hate to see Amiga developers going for Vampire development and abandoning stock hardware. It would benefit only a few.
This happened with the Pandora in a way, people adopted it and abandoned platforms like the GP2X, but then only few people had Pandoras and the Gamepark platforms got fucked, for the benefit of the few who had Pandora at the moment.

Do both, if you may.

But remember, with more power, comes greater responsibility Games that have more of everything also require more work on everything. More graphics need to be made, more/complex/larger music needs to be created, bigger code, etc.

Remember when someone compares the Amiga dev scene to the 8-bit ones and people are always usually replying 'but the Amiga is so much more complicated to work with, you need to work a lot more for assets etc"?. Multiply that by many factors and reach Vampire levels.

Please stick to Rygar. It's beautiful work. My humble opinion.
Old 24 July 2017, 18:07   #19
Overflow

Gulliver got a point, and take CherryDarling/Daytona which has set up a development chain that accomodates easy compiling for all Amiga flavours.
And you have the option of enhancing for example the Vampire version if you feel the need/desire to do so.

With AGA thru hdmi many Vampire users will surely use the legacy games on that machine, including new ones.
But it would be neat if you utilized the brute power of the Vampire too.
Old 24 July 2017, 18:44   #20
Amiga1992

The problem with sticking to OS friendly programming and through-compatibility, is that you immediately exclude the classic platforms. Yes the game "runs" on 68k Amigas, but which type? Stuff developed for Vampire like OpenBOR hardly runs on an 060, so how many people were left out when you make that decision? Also the older machines are better ran when you do all the "nasty" stuff that isn't "clean programming".

The problem is platform fragmentation, and it's not gonna get fixed, unless everyone collectively decides to ditch oldschool Amigas.

But going OT here, I don't want to risk another flame war :/