English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 28 July 2012, 12:44   #21
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
@Frode: Could you put these files on your Ressources page?
I have updated the database, and it is available from: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/database. You also need FS-UAE Launcher 1.3.22. This database update contains more screenshots/covers, and many configurations are linked to the corresponding games.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 28 July 2012 at 13:08.
Old 28 July 2012, 16:36   #22
nexusle
Banned

Hey Frode,

we know, many of the Game Database entries doesn't have pictures. It's hard to fill these pictures by finding the right config id for creating the right folder.

Please can you implement a possibility to drag and drop pictures in the fields for covers and screenshots so FS-UAE Launcher creates the folder for the game config by it self. This would help to complete the database by us users much easier.
Old 29 July 2012, 02:13   #23
Dic_Ray

Your are a genius!

Thank you sooooo much for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I have updated the database, and it is available from: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/database. You also need FS-UAE Launcher 1.3.22. This database update contains more screenshots/covers, and many configurations are linked to the corresponding games.
Old 29 July 2012, 12:58   #24
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Hey Frode,

we know, many of the Game Database entries doesn't have pictures. It's hard to fill these pictures by finding the right config id for creating the right folder.

Please can you implement a possibility to drag and drop pictures in the fields for covers and screenshots so FS-UAE Launcher creates the folder for the game config by it self. This would help to complete the database by us users much easier.
As an interim solution, I have created a python script (attached: create_game_links.py.txt) -If you download and run it with:
Code:
python create_game_links.py.txt
it will scan the game database files, and create symbolic links to the game-specific image folders (this will not work on Windows!):

Example:
~/Documents/FS-UAE/Amiga/Links/L/Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (930) - Images ->
~/Documents/FS-UAE/Amiga/Images/df/df05121d-e093-5e11-be88-b1cbbb36f03d

The number in paranthesis is the game ID in hol.abime.net -added to the link name so you can easily doublecheck what game it is if there is ambiguity in the game.

Inside these folders, you can put front.png, title.png, screen1.png, screen2.png, screen3.png, screen4.png and screen5.png. When you put resources here (since this is a symbol link), the images are really stored in the correct UUID-name-based folder and the images will appear in the launcher immediately when reselecting the game.

We must also have some guidelines for contributors to follow (for both images and configuration data) to get a coherent database. There are some short points regarding images:
  • front.png should be of good quality, around 768x1024 is OK, but don't resize to this size if it is smaller (or a bit larger) -resizing it will unecessarily reduce image quality (better to leave resizing (if desired) to an automated process when exporting the database for distribution.
  • front.png should ideally be rotated / cropped and retouched a bit if needed. When the thumbnail is shown in the launcher, it does not matter, but it should also work for a full-screen game browser...
  • Covers should not have watermarks unless it is impossible to obtain one without.
  • Screenshots (title.png and screenX.png) should have borders cropped away, see existing screenshots in the database for examples.
  • There is no requirement for the screenshots to have any specific size, but the screenshots should be 1:1 or 2:1 (e.g. 320x200 or 640x400 -or 288x192 -just crop to the natural size for the given game, don't force the screenshots to 640x400 if it is really 640x410...), - and if the screenshots are "double size", they must not be processed with any smoothing filters. I have utilities that will shrink the screenshots to 1:1 later if the screenshots do not contain high-res data, and convert to indexed color if possible.

Another important point: Images are associated with *game* entries, not configuration entries, and configurations are in turn associated with games:
Code:
configuration -> game -> images
This means that if a configuration is not linked with a game, no images will be shown for the configuration. When running the launcher with the "--editor" argument, there is a button "Pick Game" which can be used to browse and select a game if the configuration is not linked to a game (remember to also use the Save button).

The last point: If you are to contribute changes, you need to send new and updates files to me of course. Unfortunately, there is no easy way determine what files you have updated, unless you
1. Run some kind of program to detect the changes between your Data/Images directories and the original Data/Images from the zip file, or
2. Carefully copy new/updated files to a separate directory structure.
So you need to think about how you can send only modified/new files back to me.

Another way is to use tools to help with this, for instance git, which I like very much, but it has a little bit of a learning curve. (I could set up git repositories for the database and write some short tutorials, I suppose..). If you have other good suggestions which can be implemented without a lot of work, let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic_Ray View Post
Thank you sooooo much for that.
Good luck playing with it -And remember that most entries are automatically generated and some will need tweaking to work optimally (or at all). I will announce updates here, of course
Attached Files
File Type: txt create_game_links.py.txt (2.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 29 July 2012, 15:05   #25
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Here is an alternative link-creating script (create_game_links_2.py.txt). Instead of just symlinking to the image-directory for each game, it recreates the entire database directory structure (relevant for a game) for each game and includes symlinks to the images directory, the game xml and all configuration xml's for that game.

You'll understand what I mean if you run the script and see what's created in Documents/FS-UAE/Amiga/Links... (I forgot to mention in the last post that the links are created in "Documents/FS-UAE/Amiga/Links"...)

This means that when you have modified something for a game (either XML or images), you can zip down the directory for that game and this zip file will contain all XML's and images for the game -with the directory structure intact.

Remember that if you associate a (previously unassociated) configuration with a game, you must run the create_game_links_2.py.txt again to ensure that the configuration XML is symlinked into the "game link directory".
Attached Files
File Type: txt create_game_links_2.py.txt (4.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 15 August 2012, 07:58   #26
nexusle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Here is an alternative link-creating script (create_game_links_2.py.txt). Instead of just symlinking to the image-directory for each game, it recreates the entire database directory structure (relevant for a game) for each game and includes symlinks to the images directory, the game xml and all configuration xml's for that game.

You'll understand what I mean if you run the script and see what's created in Documents/FS-UAE/Amiga/Links... (I forgot to mention in the last post that the links are created in "Documents/FS-UAE/Amiga/Links"...)

This means that when you have modified something for a game (either XML or images), you can zip down the directory for that game and this zip file will contain all XML's and images for the game -with the directory structure intact.

Remember that if you associate a (previously unassociated) configuration with a game, you must run the create_game_links_2.py.txt again to ensure that the configuration XML is symlinked into the "game link directory".
If this is used, the "Links" folder should be copied outside the FS-UAE scanning folders. In other case all configs are shown twice in FS-UAE Launcher.
Old 23 August 2012, 20:36   #27
nexusle
Banned

Hi Frode,

I know, it's a GAME database, but what must/can I specifiy for the <file> entry, if I want to create a database file for a plain A1200 config with a hard disk (folder) and no floppies?

At this time, I used a workaround and created a simple text file with a description in it and calculate the checksums, but this text file is inserted as a floppy in DF0:

What can I do?
Old 23 August 2012, 20:58   #28
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
If this is used, the "Links" folder should be copied outside the FS-UAE scanning folders. In other case all configs are shown twice in FS-UAE Launcher.
Good point, bad default placement of the Links folder

Quote:
Hi Frode,

I know, it's a GAME database, but what must/can I specifiy for the <file> entry, if I want to create a database file for a plain A1200 config with a hard disk (folder) and no floppies?

At this time, I used a workaround and created a simple text file with a description in it and calculate the checksums, but this text file is inserted as a floppy in DF0:
It's not so much it is a game database, that I don't see how it is very useful to use the database for this purpose? I would think using plain .fs-uae files in Configurations would be both easier and more appropriate? Though if there is a use case not properly supported yet, or a bug in the launcher preventing the use of .fs-uae in this case, I would rather fix that problem
Old 23 August 2012, 21:49   #29
nexusle
Banned

I like the database structure! With a plain A1200 it works very well (if I use a floppy system). Does it work with hard files?!
Old 24 August 2012, 17:07   #30
nexusle
Banned

Hey Frode,

how can I specifiy, that my machine have only one floppy drive, if the game have more than one disk, but doesn't support more then one drive?

In this case, I write a database entry for "Amiga Workbench 3.1". The complete disk set has six floppies. But if I scan it in FS-UAE Launcher the firt 4 entries are mapped to 4 drives. But I want to have a plain A1200 machine with only one drive.

"<num_floppy_drives>1</num_floppy_drives>" will be set, but doesn't work!

Code:
<config uuid="amiga-workbench-31-a1200">
  <name>Amiga Workbench Version 3.1, Amiga A1200</name>
  <game uuid="amiga-workbench-31">
    <name>Amiga Workbench 3.1</name>
    <platform>Amiga</platform>
  </game>
  <options>
    <amiga-model>A1200</amiga-model>
    <num_floppy_drives>1</num_floppy_drives>
  </options>
  <file>
    <name>Workbench 3.1 - Workbench Disk.adf</name>
    <size>901120</size>
    <crc32>52f8f733</crc32>
    <md5>590c42a69675d6970df350e200fe25dc</md5>
    <sha1>c784edf5899da2fa01c0315761e5c10a77fdc845</sha1>
  </file>
  <file>
    <name>Workbench 3.1 - Extras Disk.adf</name>
    <size>901120</size>
    <crc32>32f55078</crc32>
    <md5>c1c673eba985e9ab0888c5762cfa3d8f</md5>
    <sha1>bb1ab9acfc90b8911c78cba3b07a305306391a6c</sha1>
  </file>
  <file>
    <name>Workbench 3.1 - Locale Disk.adf</name>
    <size>901120</size>
    <crc32>e0e5de81</crc32>
    <md5>b53c9ff336e168643b10c4a9cfff4276</md5>
    <sha1>51c754634343eacb69f9f2c114acbfa2f14ca6f6</sha1>
  </file>
  <file>
    <name>Workbench 3.1 - Fonts Disk.adf</name>
    <size>901120</size>
    <crc32>63470de4</crc32>
    <md5>6fae8b94bde75497021a044bdbf51abc</md5>
    <sha1>df890f6d92002a332f26f35004c9446651d4f5fc</sha1>
  </file>
  <file>
    <name>Workbench 3.1 - Storage Disk.adf</name>
    <size>901120</size>
    <crc32>4bd38ef4</crc32>
    <md5>4fa1401aeb814d3ed138f93c54a5caef</md5>
    <sha1>0ff271946f3071a84572dd8e3b9651f8fce783e8</sha1>
  </file>
  <file>
    <name>Workbench 3.1 - Install Disk.adf</name>
    <size>901120</size>
    <crc32>961d28fa</crc32>
    <md5>f4d1e95711f2b80ffc3f8cde95b69078</md5>
    <sha1>0a455a52e0145bfa099aa66ddfeaa6d4e3714f85</sha1>
  </file>
</config>

Last edited by nexusle; 24 August 2012 at 17:15.
Old 24 August 2012, 18:38   #31
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I should clarify one thing about the database: It is structured the way it is to make it possible for people to cooperate in creating and maintaining a set of known good configurations (though future tools could make this much easier and more accessible, but that is a bit beside the point). So ideally, I would hope in time that people would fix entries, add images etc and send these back to be merged and re-distributed for all to enjoy.

So if "personal" configurations are mixed in with the database, it would be more difficult to merge fixes (etc), though it is not really a problem if these personal files were kept strictly separate from the other.

Another point is that I don't really consider the database format final. If I have a good reason to consider another way of organizing the information for better collaboration, I will probably change it. If I get database fixes contributed back, I will then convert these to a possible future format, but private and withheld database entries may not work in a future launcher version...

And in your case, I still don't see the advantage of putting the Amiga/Workbench configuration into the XML database when a .fs-uae file would be more fitting Also, with the recent support for portable FS-UAE folders in the launchers, .fs-uae files are even more convenient to use for a small set of personal setups, even across computers and operating systems.

But to answer your specific questions:
* The floppy drive issue you mention is a practical issue also for games. One can specify the option "floppy_drive_count" to set the max number of drives to be automatically!
* Another option which is needed, but not implemented yet, is a way to specify the floppy insert order, for instance -for Monkey Island 2, you will not want to initially start with disks 1, 2, 3 and 4 as the game needs another set of disks to start the game.
* Hard drive folders and .hdf files are not supported in the database, because there haven't been a use case for this. Zip files will be assumed are hard drives though (part of the WHDLoad support).
Old 24 August 2012, 20:24   #32
nexusle
Banned

Ok,

I understand this.

If I want use hardfiles etc. I'll create special .fs-uae files.

I now have build a first config XML for "Amiga OS 3.1". This file is based on the ADF files from Cloantos Amiga Forever. Please check them and import the files in database, if you want!

I'll create this also for "Workbench 1.3" and "Amiga OS 2.0".

One point for my question above:

The config entry "<num_floppy_drives>1</num_floppy_drives>" works, but only if I clear DF1 to DF3. The config XML still fills the fields for DF1 to DF3. Is there a way to fix this, if "<num_floppy_drives>1</num_floppy_drives>" is set?

Last edited by nexusle; 27 January 2013 at 20:12.