English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 January 2013, 17:39   #21
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Hi Foob, check in the Zone, i have uploaded Ppils pcmcia boot floppy for you to try.

As mentioned at the bottom of this topic-

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65652

Or read the info from Ppil's post about his boot disk-

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=837609&postcount=28

And this link has the boot floppy, plus a blank hdf file to install cwb into, thanks to Ppil!(edit, also now in the zone)-

https://www.box.com/s/421vdrx6tpytd72ymy6t

This one worked fine for me when i used to use it, i could boot the floppy then it would redirect over to the .hdf file i had on the pcmcia card, in which contained classic workbench.
The pcmcia card was in fat format, and once cwb had booted from the .hdf file, you could also access the rest of the cards spare space.

Hope it helps!

Edit- I think you will need both the boot floppy, and the blank custom hdf file that Ppil created, i only uploaded the boot floppy. The box.com link contains both, i will also reupload it to the zone!

Last edited by hansel75; 08 January 2013 at 18:02.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 January 2013, 17:49   #22
demolition
Unregistered User

Question is then how he will get that disk transferred to the Amiga for writing. :-)

I think his current boot disk is the one he got through the mail.
Old 08 January 2013, 17:52   #23
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Question is then how he will get that disk transferred to the Amiga for writing. :-)

I think his current boot disk is the one he got through the mail.
If Foob can get EasyADF working with his pcmcia adapter and cf card, i guess that would work with a blank floppy.

Or maybe someone local to him can do up a copy for him!
Old 08 January 2013, 18:14   #24
foob

After an hour or two of trying various things (formatting in FAT16 etc), i still cannot get either to do anything.

At this point, i am no longe rgetting an error message when using Akiras Bootdisk, the system just simply stops doing anything. It doesnt crash, but it just stops loading and does not continue.

EasyADF, simply will not load the driver. it hangs on the "Please wait while driver loads" screen and continues no further. Because of this, i still have no capacity to write ADFs. The only response i can get out of it at all is when removing the CF card in this state, i get an error message in german. I haven't bothered to translate it as i assume its crying about the CF card being removed.

While i appreciate all the help and enthusiasm in mailing me out disks i might need, i feel people shouldn't have to do that just to get this damn thing to do what it is supposed to.

quick edit:- when usuing easyadf, i can get the driver to (supposedly) load with the PCMCIA adapter disconnected, but then it doesnt seem to do anything after that when connecting the adapter as requested.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:22   #25
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Sorry to here that Foob, i can guarantee you that Ppil's pcmcia boot floppy solution worked 100% for me for quite a few months. I was kind of like his beta tester as he tinkered with it until it worked.

I do realize it's not easy for you to write out an adf to a blank floppy, the only other thing i can think off is to split it onto 2x dos floppies from your pc, then read it on your amiga, join them etc. Then maybe try easyadf, or an alternative adf writing utility to write the boot adf to a real floppy on your amiga. You would obviously need to boot wb and these utilities of your floppy disk at first to be able to do this.

If you do get that far and are able to test Ppil's solution, and it still doesn't work for you, then it must be a problem with your cf card, as mentioned, Ppils boot floppy worked perfectly for me.

Han.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:23   #26
Akira

That error, I thought I fixed it. It has to do with some little error and the system not being verbose.
Ppil's disk is the other one I mentioned before and it works too.

Sorry about that. You could fix that disk but i don't want to blow your mind.
I undertsannd your frustration and this is why I never recommend anymore anyone to get a real Amiga to mess with, when WinUAE is just so damn good.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:34   #27
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I undertsannd your frustration and this is why I never recommend anymore anyone to get a real Amiga to mess with, when WinUAE is just so damn good.
What? Since restoring my A600 and pimping it out last year, i can honestly say i haven't touched winuae for amiga gaming+demos since.

There is nothing like the real thing
Old 08 January 2013, 18:35   #28
foob

Quote:
You could fix that disk but i don't want to blow your mind.
I'm a tinkerer, try me. just start earlier than you usually would, because i have a feeling you're about to tell me to open up the code on the bootdisk and add/change a line or two, and i don't know how to do that on the Amiga.

Another theory i'm testing out at the minute is the kickstart ROM i'm using on winUAE, which is 2.04 (but using 2.05 disk adfs). I've finally found a 2.05 ROM so im gonna re-write the card with that and see if it makes a difference to either the bootdisk or easyadf.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:39   #29
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Ppil's solution worked on my A600 with kickstart 2.0(37.299), and that is considered to be the crappiest kickstart 2 chip out of them all! I used cwb lite i think, it only requires ks2 and will also tell you what wb disks are needed when you activate cwb!

I now run 4gb ide and ks3.1 with an 020 cpu and 13mb ram, so i don't need to use the boot floppy/pcmcia solution anymore, but it definitely worked.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:43   #30
foob

forgive me, but i assume by cwb lite you mean Classic Workbench Lite?

ive only heard of classicWB in passing and it is my understanding that it requires a KS3.0 at the least to function. correct me if i'm wrong though.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:55   #31
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob View Post
forgive me, but i assume by cwb lite you mean Classic Workbench Lite?

ive only heard of classicWB in passing and it is my understanding that it requires a KS3.0 at the least to function. correct me if i'm wrong though.
Yes cwb is Classic Workbench.

Have a look at these links, there is a version for ks2 as well-
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/gaae.htm
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/requirements.htm

Also the lite version does require ks3, i thought it only needed ks2 but i was wrong. The gaae alien version is the one to go for!
Old 08 January 2013, 19:13   #32
foob

something rather interesting has just happened.

I tried the CF card re-written using 2.05 ROM and it produced the same "error", which was seemingly doing nothing.

As this thread was advancing, i focused on finding another solution and just left the amiga going in the background. After around half an hour (akiras bootdisk), the thing has actually booted up. Interesting...

This leaves me to wonder a few things.... why take so long? also, is this enough confirmation that my CF is infact compatible, and theres something else hindering it? (possibly formatting, im thinking of trying fat16 instead of fat32 with default allocation size)

I am installing EasyADF on the hard drive now using the amiga so everything is working fine, not counting the insane boot times. Although i am a little miffed that this time around i forgot to chuck a few .adfs into the expansion folder before i tried it so im going to have to turn off to put them on and endure another 30 minute boot time to write a few game floppies to keep me occupied in the meantime
Old 08 January 2013, 19:17   #33
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Try format the card in fat16, i found it to be much much faster then fat32 when i used to use this method.
Old 08 January 2013, 19:28   #34
Akira

Hmm it could be that the CF was indeed booting. Do try to format as FAT16 and see where that goes. but I do't think 30 minutes is a sensible time.

Also you dont need to turn off the machine to put more files in the CF card. Just take out the CF adapter and put the card in your PC, then pop it back in. It's hot-swappable.
Old 08 January 2013, 19:42   #35
foob

Quote:
Also you dont need to turn off the machine to put more files in the CF card. Just take out the CF adapter and put the card in your PC, then pop it back in. It's hot-swappable.

too late.

anyway, i'll reformat in fat16 after i see if i can finally write .adfs, because if i can then the first thing i'm doing is writing some games and a different bootdisk to see if thats where the problem lies.
Old 08 January 2013, 19:55   #36
Akira

If it boots, i don't think the bootdisk is the problem.
Just in case, I have uploaded a VERBOSE version of the bootdisk. If there are any problems, you should be able to see them on the AmigaDOS window.
Old 08 January 2013, 21:00   #37
demolition
Unregistered User

I just tried out the bootdisk in my 1200 and it seems to work fine. It mounts my 2GB Sandisk Ultra II from the PCMCIA slot.
Old 08 January 2013, 21:04   #38
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hmm, I wonder if there is an issue with his PCMCIA port?

Caps leaking near by maybe? Bent or broken pin?
Old 08 January 2013, 21:08   #39
demolition
Unregistered User

Could be or just incompatible CF card as earlier mentioned.
Old 08 January 2013, 21:42   #40
foob

i actually suspect memory. After fiddling around with filesystems, FAT16 didnt really boot at all so i went back with fat32 and it boots in around 20 minutes.

From here, i attempted to install EasyADF to the HDD, which worked fine, but when trying to launch it from either the CLI or the floppy, i get "Not enough memory to run EasyADF".

The "other" memory stat at the top is reading 0, so i suspect this whole thing is to do with simply having 1MB of memory.

I think the next step to try here is to try the stripped version of cwb, the one that works on kick 2.0 and hopefully has small enough of a mem footprint to allow me to run EasyADF.

I guess this means a chipmem upgrade. none on ebay (except one for 60). whoop de doo.

EDIT;- which i have now done, and requires an .hdf file. This would be all well and good if it didnt require a seperate kind of boot disk. Welcome back, square 1.

Last edited by foob; 08 January 2013 at 22:08.
AdSense AdSense